DCI and WGI composing salaries

If you're looking to get into arranging, OP, then the advice from earlier about networking is absolutely crucial.

No one cares about anything but what you can produce. School? Yeah, that's nice, what can you write?

That's the attitude.

You've got to know people and be willing to put yourself out there to literally everyone. Going to the conventions, self-promotion and marketing, etc. It took me 5 years of working as a consultant after college to get a single program to give me a shot as a wind book arranger down here in Texas (and I went to UNT!). That first one is vital. Once you have that, it gets easier (*easier*, but still hard). I lucked out in that it was a good 5A program and having it on my resume helped me grab more each year. But I'm *still* promoting and still getting my name to anyone and everyone because the job is never done.

This is great advice!

i know those 3 programs very well..i didnt say you said anything about others schools..just making a statement

Yes, well, California is a very weird state in my opinion when it comes to the marching arts. I've lived here all my life and from my experience, not quoting others, you basically have to charge illegal fees to thrive at a high level as a program. GENERALLY speaking...not all the times.

Edited by snarekid33

Yes, well, California is a very weird state in my opinion when it comes to the marching arts. I've lived here all my life and from my experience, not quoting others, you basically have to charge illegal fees to thrive at a high level as a program. GENERALLY speaking...not all the time.

Yes, well, California is a very weird state in my opinion when it comes to the marching arts. I've lived here all my life and from my experience, not quoting others, you basically have to charge illegal fees to thrive at a high level as a program. GENERALLY speaking...not all the times.

well there's some huge budgets..this i know :shutup: there's a few schools that dues are way more than some DCI corps

Edited by GUARDLING

This is why sometimes it is almost better, financially, to work for a high school. I've expeirenced it personally myself.

money is there, thats for sure...DCI staffers make money off the names of their corps for sure elsewhere...problem is or has been...smaller bands hire the young instructor because they marched , lets say Cavies, cadets, crown or whoever only to find it became a nightmare and learn just because one marched there doesnt mean they can teach. Now of course there are success stories also

Edited by GUARDLING