DCI and WGI composing salaries

The salaries for designers (based off the current salary ranges in this thread) hasn't seemed to change much for a long time. I used to teach in the early 90's and could make approximately $2000-$3,000 for writing the guard book for a pretty good marching band.

I wrote for a top 15 drum corps in the early 90's too and would make about $1,000.

I work in compensation now as my career and am interested in what kind of "bonuses" or "salary increases" some of these staff members receive on an annual basis. I would be curious if there was any bonus pay if a designers team wins.

But 900k please.

you didnt get paid close to enough...lol........im sure you were worth alot more than that.

Edited by GUARDLING

Some of those Texas bands have more members than some countries around the world. I don't assume it's easy to write for that many people on the field.

I went to a small 3A high school in Texas. I think we only had fifty some odd people in our band-- I represented half of the trombone section, LOL. (The other half plays in The President's Own in Washington. He had first chair in concert band...) Even so, we beat out bands at least twice our size to make the night show at state Finals one year. (Ironically, not the year our band director hired a hot shot ex-DCI drill writer.)

If you're looking to get into arranging, OP, then the advice from earlier about networking is absolutely crucial.

No one cares about anything but what you can produce. School? Yeah, that's nice, what can you write?

That's the attitude.

You've got to know people and be willing to put yourself out there to literally everyone. Going to the conventions, self-promotion and marketing, etc. It took me 5 years of working as a consultant after college to get a single program to give me a shot as a wind book arranger down here in Texas (and I went to UNT!). That first one is vital. Once you have that, it gets easier (*easier*, but still hard). I lucked out in that it was a good 5A program and having it on my resume helped me grab more each year. But I'm *still* promoting and still getting my name to anyone and everyone because the job is never done.

I think I must be the only North Texas alum who posts on here and DIDN'T major in music. (Judging by that $900k post, maybe I picked the wrong field, LOL.)