Improve Fan Network How?

Mobile interface needed - it's 2014. And a rolling 12 month payment option, not a fixed date. I didn't subscribe at all this year, because when I did have the money, 2 weeks into the season, I'm being asked to pay the same price for a shorter subscription, why penalize those who don't do it "on time."

Mike

The price actually does go down in the few months before it lapses, I think it was down to $39. I don't remember when I noticed that, but they do pro-rate it somewhat.

Edited by drangin

yeah I have no idea if its possible or how it would be done, but just my general wish that the amped pit would not overpower so many shows (though tbh it happens live too sometimes, after all these years they still can't figure out the volume levels i guess).

The speaker balance was generally OK on FN when there were mics on the speakers later in the season, but at the live shows I attended the balance was often WACK, from way too loud to inaudible.

finals was far better than last year.

I wish they'd just come up with packages where you can add finals from the get go, and not have to get dvd's to do it.

• Like 1

1) I agree that the sound is not up to the levels of the video. Sometimes, the loudest peaks are sounding as if they are "crushed" or the system is overtaxed and cannot handle the volume. Is that a result of bandwidth?

At least it is not as bad as it was in the late 70s/early 80s when the sound levels were physically manipulated, turning down the dynamic higher decibel ranges so as to protect the microphones/recording equipment.

2) Whoever is running the video board (director) needs to be more familiar with the shows. I know there is so much going on during the shows that it is impossible to get everything, but there were many times the camera feed was switched after the solo or whatever had already started. Also, particularly key visuals were happening on the field and the video feed was on the pit, which wasn't doing anything special.

Maybe some of these could be addressed in post production, when the DVDs and BRs are produced.

Maybe some of these could be addressed in post production, when the DVDs and BRs are produced.

They are ALWAYS addressed in post. Compare any of the online finals videos (right now) to what will be released later this year on Blu-Ray and there will be a distinct different and remixing of angles, sound, etc.

Having not bought DCI materials the past several years, I was not sure about all that. Glad to hear they do improve things. Wish they would have been able to fix the sound with the 1978 Spirit Of Atlanta show; what a shame that recording was/is.

Edited by Railfan

Having not bought DCI materials the past several years, I was not sure about all that. Glad to hear they do improve things. Wish they would have been able to fix the sound with the 1978 Spirit Of Atlanta show; what a shame that recording was/is.

.... or all of 1995.

Or 1996, 1997, 1998 for that matter. Although they don't bother me quite as much as the treble heavy cymbal fest from 95. I just have to be mindful of the mid range so the bass drums don't blow a gasket during those years.

I wonder if anyone will ever be able to fix the toned down dynamic range from the recording of the 1978 Atlanta show. That group had a sound to die for; great dynamic range, great tone, and near perfect intonation and balance. I had a great audio recording of them from Whitewater that year, with no limits put on the ranges of the volumes, but I loaned it to a friend and never got it back.

Edited by Railfan