What instruments are illegal to use in DCI?

Woodwinds would ruin the activity and I would turn and walk away if those instruments were made legal for DCI.

Anyway, the original poster was pretty much right on but the biggest changes in the bugle era took place in 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1990. Prior to 1977, the G bugles consisted of one horizontal piston played with the thumb of the right hand and one rotor played with either the first finger or thumb of the left hand. In 1977, sopranos were legal with two upright valves and for the first time the bugle valves were operated with the same hand as with a trumpet. In 1978 two valve baritones were legal and, in 1979, the rest of the brass line could have two upright valves. You can hear a distinct difference in quality from the piston-rotor years to the upright-valve years and, in 1990, a third upright valve was legal.

I will rue the day WW's are added. That's why I'd like to see FN have separate fee structures for VOD and live events - there may come a day when I am only interested in DCI's past.

Woodwinds would ruin the activity and I would turn and walk away if those instruments were made legal for DCI.

Anyway, the original poster was pretty much right on but the biggest changes in the bugle era took place in 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1990. Prior to 1977, the G bugles consisted of one horizontal piston played with the thumb of the right hand and one rotor played with either the first finger or thumb of the left hand. In 1977, sopranos were legal with two upright valves and for the first time the bugle valves were operated with the same hand as with a trumpet. In 1978 two valve baritones were legal and, in 1979, the rest of the brass line could have two upright valves. You can hear a distinct difference in quality from the piston-rotor years to the upright-valve years and, in 1990, a third upright valve was legal.

I can't address the rest of your post because I didn't get past that first line.

I used to think like you, but I happen to have a talented 15 year old who wants to try out. At first I thought I could force myself to accept his "summer band" so long as he wanted to do it. He's a pretty harsh critic - last week was his 13th DCI finals - and if he wants to do "summer band" (what you and I used to call "drum corps"), then I'd support him. Then I began to realize that this was the point.

If the kids like it, and if they are getting the same (or better) experience that we did when we marched, isn't it essentially the same experience? Is your support and enjoyment all about you and your enjoyment? If it is, then maybe it's time to walk away.

But, if enough parents come to support their kids, then the stands will be full despite your refusal to "accept" woodwinds. There will be a constantly rotating group of MM's and fans to feed the activity and keep it alive. And you have NO IDEA how these "summer bands" will use these new tools, so you can't possibly say you won't enjoy it (if you give yourself a chance to).

So, in the end, your statement of a line the sand will end up affecting only you, and the activity will likely survive without you. And you may only end up depriving yourself of some great enjoyment in the process of taking a stand.

• Like 4

Electronic string instruments have been allowed since 2009, but acoustic string instruments are prohibited to this day (even with amplification).

In their 2008 Samurai show, Cavaliers used a hammered dulcimer in the pit. It appears to be fully acoustic. I am not sure why this made it past the rules committee, but I am glad it did, as it adds a great sound to the show.

avX69gJ.png

In 1977, sopranos were legal with two upright valves and for the first time the bugle valves were operated with the same hand as with a trumpet. In 1978 two valve baritones were legal and, in 1979, the rest of the brass line could have two upright valves. You can hear a distinct difference in quality from the piston-rotor years to the upright-valve years and, in 1990, a third upright valve was legal.

Are you sure it wasn't just, corps could pick one section per year to switch, starting that year? Or was it this specific order?

Is your support and enjoyment all about you and your enjoyment? If it is, then maybe it's time to walk away.

Maybe you misunderstood what he posted... he said he would leave if and when the woodwinds come in, as for him he believes it would be time to go if it ever came to that. Why not just respect his choice if it comes to that, and let it be, and for perhaps others to replace him as a fan if it comes to that point ? Why scold him on what he prefers to enjoy as a paying customer to an entertainment show event ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

We used guitars(rock band)in Teal Sounds 2009 show The Velvet Rope, in 2010 we used violin throughout show along with guitars, and in 2011 we combined guitars, violin and an EWI.

I believe the 2014 Oregon Crusaders are the first to use what we commonly refer to as a" string instrument " in a judged DCI Field competition.

Do I have this correct, or has some other DCI Corps preceded them ?

Teal Sound, to my knowledge, was the 1st DCI Corps to utilize an electric guitar in DCI Field competition.

The Boston Crusaders ( decades ago ) were the first Corps to use a synthesizer in DCI competition ( and knowingly took a DCI penalty for doing so. )

Edited by randyb

In their 2008 Samurai show, Cavaliers used a hammered dulcimer in the pit. It appears to be fully acoustic. I am not sure why this made it past the rules committee, but I am glad it did, as it adds a great sound to the show.

avX69gJ.png

Well I mean Spartans had an acoustic guitar this year... I think people are confused about the rule

Field artillery in the key of B-flat.

It's coming soon. :ninja:

• Like 1