Cadets Battery!

The Cadets battery was not staged at the front like BD and Coats, so many in the crowd did not get hip to what these kids were laying down. In case you missed it, here is a nice clip....no frou frou...just kick butt execution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld69-mOEPek

• Like 1

Yes, 2014 was an incredible year for percussion all the way down through the top 15 at least. Cadets show did not really stage the line favorably for the Sanford, but I loved the way their book and drill was integrated into the rest of the show, and the sync precision with the pit (often 40-50 yards away) was notable.

God that was so clean I could eat off of it

• Like 1

Yes, Cadets percussion very impressive this year as they have been in many years past. Hopkins has been lucky that they have been able to retain similar percussion approaches for many years (Aungst and Mcnutt being Hannum disciples). I like that Mcnutt has kept a lot of his UMass roots when it comes to technique and arranging that some might call old school. For the most part the Cadets battery have played their same unique interpretation with rolls, 5'lets, Parradiddles, etc for many years, as well as the focuses on right and left hand fulcrum that is different from many other lines. This years drum solo reminded me of cadets 93 kings of war when the battery marched from the end zone playing a completely different tempo from the horn line and then meshed together. Colin has also added his own flare to the arranging which I have really enjoyed lately. I agree with one of the earlier posters that their staging could have been better.

• Like 1

My thoughts from the very very early season was that Cadets were poised to repeat and take the Sanford trophy back to Allentown. But then, throughout the season, so many fantastic lines emerged. Especially Bluecoats. I still think that the Cadets battery's staging was more to complement the show as a whole, rather than be an all out assault to take the Sanford trophy. Still impressed by how they've managed to play all those clean diddles and for years and years...

Great percussion cadets..Too many props (poorly designed, like last years' porta-potties, y'all) . Hope you take it all next yr.