Why doesnt DCI allow fans to vote?

why is DCI scared to death? Not that I think giving points is a good idea. Just askin

I don't think its a points issue, though im sure there's an argument to be made about giving up control to the masses. (even if in a miniscule amount) But there's just something about DCI that makes it feel like its a self serving entity more concerned with selling a style of programming instead of serving the audience.

• Like 1

Of course, if you give up total control to the masses, then who knows what will happen. I think then it becomes less an adjudicated art form, and more a either a popularity contest (buy those votes kids!) or a facebook vote off.

if placement translates into monies paid to corps organizations this is a sure fire way to kill off more corps than we've already lost.

I don't think its a points issue, though im sure there's an argument to be made about giving up control to the masses. (even if in a miniscule amount) But there's just something about DCI that makes it feel like its a self serving entity more concerned with selling a style of programming instead of serving the audience.

I think theres way more audience appeal than most might think. Programming couldnt have be more diverse so there should be something for everyone . As far as points a few tenths can mean several positons at finals.

Its not the audience appeal that's the concern. I think it goes back to giving up control or finding ways to balance out the masses then.

Its not the audience appeal that's the concern. I think it goes back to giving up control or finding ways to balance out the masses then.

trying to understand the logic of GIVING something up or why should corps, unless spectators just dont want to be spectators anymore. Maybe thats what he was saying.

Edited by GUARDLING

well, when you let the masses dictate the programming, you lose control over your own product. Its not about the corps giving something up. Its about the presentational entity (see also DCI) giving up control over its programming. By letting the masses dictate what they want to see that in turn dictates what the presenting entity has to promote, and guess what they are promoting next season. When you cannot control your product you cannot plan for revenues, or in some cases lack thereof.

Its why you dont let the populace pick your theatre company's (or other presentational organization) season, and you only marginally let the board have input on the final season lineup. If you let someone else dictate something that doesn't sell tickets or gain sponsors, you end up with a big red hole on the year, and who is to blame? the person in charge of the bottom line.

well, when you let the masses dictate the programming, you lose control over your own product. Its not about the corps giving something up. Its about the presentational entity (see also DCI) giving up control over its programming. By letting the masses dictate what they want to see that in turn dictates what the presenting entity has to promote, and guess what they are promoting next season. When you cannot control your product you cannot plan for revenues, or in some cases lack thereof.

Its why you dont let the populace pick your theatre company's (or other presentational organization) season, and you only marginally let the board have input on the final season lineup. If you let someone else dictate something that doesn't sell tickets or gain sponsors, you end up with a big red hole on the year, and who is to blame? the person in charge of the bottom line.

I think ( If Im reading right , its late..lol ) you believe corps should not give up any control of their product. But to get to Flams point , he believes , it seems, that the audience should be given points in the final results and that DCI was afraid of this. I was trying to figure out why he thought this was a good idea being that very often the best corps would'nt win and was he ok with this. Just askin

Each phone would only get one vote... And it wouldn't be any kind of popularity contest. The award would be given to the most entertaining show. You don't think that DCI fans would be able to take it with maturity?

And the new DCI Idol is.....

• Like 1

They are afraid to give up complete control of the scores. If DCI was smart they would see the success of reality based shows that let the audience vote & embrace it.

the system would be even more subjective than that which you ##### about now. You think Cadets for example have a shot in hell at winning at a show in Norcal? Hell I'm not even sure SCV could unless BD stayed home.

a few years ago in WGI, the fan vote winner was like 10th place.

the system would be even more subjective than that which you ##### about now. You think Cadets for example have a shot in hell at winning at a show in Norcal? Hell I'm not even sure SCV could unless BD stayed home.

a few years ago in WGI, the fan vote winner was like 10th place.

happens all the time in WGI..lol all it meant was they got more people to vote had nothing to do with who was better or even more entertaining.