alternative rock

You've said this a million times on half the topics I've seen you comment on but one thing I don't understand is, why do you seem to treat the fact that corps can play anything a place high as a bad thing? It's pretty nice that a show theme doesn't hurt a corps' placement.

Performing their 2015 show, entitled "ad absurdio", Drum Corps International is proud to present, BRASSOCORPS!!!!

Musical selections:

1. 99 bottles of beer on the wall
  2. Mary had a little lamb
  3. Row, row, row your boat
  4. Olé, Olé, Olé

"But we arranged the snot out of them!"

• Like 3

Performing their 2015 show, entitled "ad absurdio", Drum Corps International is proud to present, BRASSOCORPS!!!!

Musical selections:

4. Olé, Olé, Olé

You forgot the ever popular "Lightly Row". :tounge2:

You perhaps have a point with this. We'd probably chuckle if we said a few years back... " a G7 Corps could even play " Jingle Bells " and score high now". But we don't chuckle with this anymore, as its the truth. It really doesn't matter " WHAT " you play. If you have the marcher talent you can pretty much play Jingle Bells or Dionne Warwick songs from 50 years ago or whatever. Thus, it really doesn't matter a wit WHAT you play. Its a question only of" who do you have writing it and playing it ? ", that is everything now. So yes, it would be refreshing if Corps delved into the Alternative Rock Realm... heck, theres lots of musical genres available to modern DCI Music Arrangers that have infrequently been utilized up to now in DCI besides Alternative Rock too.

The "who do you have writing it..." part matters if you mean the skill level of the arrangers...good arrangers can indeed arrange just about anything and make is suitable for their corps. However, based on past posts I'm not sure that is what you are getting at here. :huh2:

Edited by MikeD

Musical selections:

4. Olé, Olé, Olé

Haha!!.. great list ! If its BD, these songs would work very well, imo. Although, 4 songs won't cut it. So if they added to these songs here:, .. " Happy Days Are Here Again", .. " One Less Bell to Answer ", or " Walk on By " or similar like pop hits from 35-55 years ago to augment whats listed here, BD could pull it off in DCI.

And we all know they could pull it off with these listed musical selections too, if we're honest with ourselves here. Cadets " Jingle Bells " and other Holiday gathering popular classics have nothing on BD when it comes to BD playing anything at all that they choose to play and it keeping them in the top 3 in DCI.

Edited by BRASSO

Musical selections:

• 99 bottles of beer on the wall
  • Mary had a little lamb
  • Row, row, row your boat
  • Olé, Olé, Olé
You forgot Its a Small World After All. Guaranteed medal if you arrange the snot out of that.

The "who do you have writing it..." part matters i. :huh2:

And I said as much above. Mandarins or Pacific Crest couldn't place high in DCI playing " Jingle Bells ". But the Cadets can. Without being further redundant, it doesn't matter WHAT you play in DCI. Its ( as my quote stated above ) " who you have writing it and who is playing it ". If you have the writing and marcher talent , as we've seen repeatedly, any ol song will do just fine in DCI.

Edited by BRASSO

Go and listen to Peter Schilling's version of "Major Tom," then listen to Crown 2014. (Go ahead. I'll wait.) It is even close to being a similar listening experience?

I'm starting to think that Crown may have referenced the Shiny Toy Guns version of Major Tom instead of the original Peter Schilling edition. It sounds a lot closer.

Bloo has probably been the closest recently. They've tackled Imogen Heap, Radiohead, and Vienna Teng in recent years. You could classify the two women as closer to indie pop, but alt rock is such a wide genre to begin with, you could make a case for it. Same with Blue Knights/Blue Stars and "To Build a Home".

Vanguard Cadets did OneRepublic this year and "I'll Stand By You", Genesis did "Mad World", Watchmen did Red Hot Chili Peppers, Leonard Cohen, and Michael Jackson.

That's quite a bit from this year. Pio did Dropkick Murphys last year. Boston did "Lean on Me" and "Falling Slowly". All of Crossmen's show could be counted in 2013.

Just a selection. Alt rock would have to be defined a bit more if you want a full list.

Bluecoats could tackle the music of Mark Mothersbaugh, another Ohio native.

if they added to these songs here:, .. " Happy Days Are Here Again", .. " One Less Bell to Answer ", or " Walk on By " or similar like pop hits from 35-55 years ago to augment whats listed here, BD could pull it off in DCI.

You are referring to BD's 2011 show. Alas, they only silvered.