Most Impressive Low Brass Lines?

Honestly that's the way I felt back in 1987 when a friend loaned me recordings of older shows! Well, I did enjoy HEARING shows from 83+....

So I do understand you in that regard.

For me, that's was the biggest shift in shows in a short period of time. The rest of the changes have been smaller from year to year....

It's just very rough sounding and raw... It doesn't sound like a normal brass ensemble to me haha. It's displeasing to the ear. It sounds like they're putting volume over everything else. I'm more of the opinion that intonation >>> than volume. I also don't like the lack of a coherent theme in the shows.

• Like 1

"It's just very rough sounding and raw... It doesn't sound like a normal brass ensemble to me haha. It's displeasing to the ear. It sounds like they're putting volume over everything else. I'm more of the opinion that intonation > volume"

Gonna remember this quote when someone blames everything on the key of the horns. IMO - style of playing has a lot to do with the difference in sound between the eras. But the furture back you go, horn construction has more to do with it also.

As for themes..... this dino ignores 'em and just listens without thinking too hard.... need a break from my IT mind drainer....

It's just very rough sounding and raw... It doesn't sound like a normal brass ensemble to me haha. It's displeasing to the ear. It sounds like they're putting volume over everything else. I'm more of the opinion that intonation >>> than volume. I also don't like the lack of a coherent theme in the shows.

Well I like volume too, BUT the quality of the instruments wasn't very good. That made the sound REALLY raw. You can hear it on those videos of IE floating around here, where there's a soloist or small ensemble and you can tell that they're fighting with the horns, but that they're also incredible players. But that was part of the risk. Really wild horns that sound incredible and powerful. Certainly if you could make the sound good, you'd be even better on your regular horn.

Also, I like shows where there's a theme or some other connection in the music. '83 is the year that this seemed to happen from everyone for me. ...I can't stress enough how if you go back year by year on FN, you can really tell that the quality of the instruments gets worse and worse. It's not the performers. Now, I miss the overtones that you could hear on the G brass lines compared to today, but I enjoy pretty much any good brass ensemble playing.

Certainly Phantom Regiment in the Wren era up to a couple of years ago had some MONSTER low brass.

Edited by jjeffeory

Well I like volume too, BUT the quality of the instruments wasn't very good. That made the sound REALLY raw. You can hear it on those videos of IE floating around here, where there's a soloist or small ensemble and you can tell that they're fighting with the horns, but that they're also incredible players. But that was part of the risk. Really wild horns that sound incredible and powerful. Certainly if you could make the sound good, you'd be even better on your regular horn.

Also, I like shows where there's a theme or some other connection in the music. '83 is the year that this seemed to happen from everyone for me. ...I can't stress enough how if you go back year by year on FN, you can really tell that the quality of the instruments gets worse and worse. It's not the performers. Now, I miss the overtones that you could hear on the G brass lines compared to today, but I enjoy pretty much any good brass ensemble playing.

Certainly Phantom Regiment in the Wren era up to a couple of years ago had some MONSTER low brass.

In case this crossed anyone's mind, I'm absolutely not blaming the players for the sound. I know that the quality of the instruments aren't the best. Heck, the early 2000's hornlines sounded rough too when they made the switch from g bugles. Now we have corps like crown, BD, and the Cadets playing with incredible intonation and quality with improved horns.

And yes, phantom regiment in general has some really good low brass lines. From the 2000-2008, which PR show do you think had the best low brass sound?

In case this crossed anyone's mind, I'm absolutely not blaming the players for the sound. I know that the quality of the instruments aren't the best. Heck, the early 2000's hornlines sounded rough too when they made the switch from g bugles. Now we have corps like crown, BD, and the Cadets playing with incredible intonation and quality with improved horns.

And yes, phantom regiment in general has some really good low brass lines. From the 2000-2008, which PR show do you think had the best low brass sound?

Yes. ( That's my way of saying it's VERY hard to choose. They're all great. It's been an Historic tradition of that corps in particular to have wonderful low brass. So I can't narrow it down). :satisfied: