Madison in Macy's Parade

That would have been super cool. Even doing a few bars of that opening

Slaughter trill before we launched into "Happy Christmas" would've rocked!!!

Exactly. I don't suppose that would have fit Macy's guidelines and most parade-watchers wouldn't know what that was that just made their ears bleed...

From what we learned, the Macy folks check every note that's played so why add a few measures at the beginning knowing they would tell the staff to remove it. But, it sure as helll would have been great.

Slaughter on TENTH Avenue is so West Side of New York. Think WSS.

Macy's Parade is on SIXTH Avenue (no longer Broadway like the old route). It's an entirely different culture and bearing in NYC.

(I do know that some of the Scouts did hum Slaughter on the fast forced march from the buses to the 3am blocking session with the TV people.)

Edited by xandandl

That humming was actually us making shivering sounds....it was mf-ing COLD that morning!!!

Yes, I felt it too.

But it was part of the super-plan strategized by Komnick, Scott S., Macy's, and the local hospitality committee to make the Minnesotans and Wisconsin bros feel right at home for missing a family friendly holiday. While it wasn't quite complete (with Sean Hadley having to stir his Boilermakers in Hoosierville), the smiles on the faces of Dan Feeney, Sean Phelan, and Eric P. in his jazzy whites could not have been bigger Cheshire Cat grins when I reminded them that Greater NYC had seen no snow thus far this season until the Scouts arrived in Suffern, NY; everything prior had been diverted to Buffalo, eight hours away. Then in Suffern. several inches the first day; flurries throughout the parade, making it all seem like Madison, Wisconsin. All part of "the plan" for when the Scouts "turned up the heat!"

Edited by xandandl

Yep....it almost felt like the old Holiday Parade around the Capitol Square! I couldn't believe the change in weather. I had

flown into Newark on Monday night - it was 68 degrees....then, next day in Suffern, it was like 15 or 20. And what did we get, like

8-10 inches by Wednesday night? It was all worth it though....that was an awesome experience performing with all the

Brothers in front of that insane crowd!!!

• Like 1

Sigh. I'm just a little sad the Scouts didn't get a chance to play the opening of "Slaughter" somewhere in the concrete canyons. Now THAT would have been sweet...

that would have been an insurance nightmare

From what we learned, the Macy folks check every note that's played so why add a few measures at the beginning knowing they would tell the staff to remove it. But, it sure as helll would have been great.

Do they check the repertoire all that closely?? If so, is it for timing reasons, or is it in the interest of "festive programming?" If it is the latter, I seem to recall an appearance by JMU a few years back (I'm guessing 4-5 years, but since time seems to go quicker as I age, it might be closer to 6 or 7) who rocked the cameras with "Get It On" from their Chase medley -- hardly what I would think of as being "holiday" or "festive." No complaints from here whatsoever -- it made the whole parade for me.

Do they check the repertoire all that closely?? If so, is it for timing reasons, or is it in the interest of "festive programming?" If it is the latter, I seem to recall an appearance by JMU a few years back (I'm guessing 4-5 years, but since time seems to go quicker as I age, it might be closer to 6 or 7) who rocked the cameras with "Get It On" from their Chase medley -- hardly what I would think of as being "holiday" or "festive." No complaints from here whatsoever -- it made the whole parade for me.

The last times I was involved with groups in Macys, yes they do check the rep. closely. We had to send audio recordings, and a month or so out we had to send a video of the visual/musical performance that the band would be playing on camera. Macy's then gave us "notes" and we had to accommodate. IIRC, there was something about the amount of counts/seconds there can be drum-only phrases and maybe even a specific amount of seconds for "park & bark" (i.e. a maximum amount). I believe they also have a certain type of rep. they prefer, though there is of course some leeway (we gave them a few options and they chose the piece/arrangement they wanted): not necessarily festive programming per say (one year we did a Beatles medley, and it coincided with the Anniversary of Lennon's death and for whatever reason Macy's dug that - we honestly hadn't though of that anniversary at all when we talked to them about the rep, but we ran with it when Macy's dug it), but I got the sense that they maybe didn't want esoteric and preferred more populist (ish) stuff. I've seen bands who didn't necessarily do this and went with successful BOA program rep. so there's not a hard/fast rule or guideline.

There is definitely a timing specification for the broadcast portion, at least.

They're pretty strict, or at least they know exactly what they want/what works for them and they demand performing ensembles do it.

Edited by perc2100