Madison in Macy's Parade

Was asked at a Baltimore area parade what band we (Alumni type corps) we with. Should have seen the WTH look that came with the question.

And guess the taking heads are out of their league if it's not a plug for something and bands/corps are about the only thing not a plug. Including a bunch of balloons.

PS - what was the term used with the Scouts "drum and horn ensemble"?

Does anyone know how many screamers were in the Macy's Parade?

There were some wondering who were those old guys with all the face makeup on that KISS float too.

My 12 year old was one of those. He wondered who the "what show or movie are old looking guys pretending to be rock stars from." When I said they're KISS, he remembered them from a Family Guy episode, and seemed mildly amused that they were a real thing.

Of course, he knew who Madison Scouts were :cool:

waiting for Santa because that means right after he arrives they can flip on the Detroit Lions pregame show.

on the west coast they tape delay Macy's so the parade starts right around the time as the Lions game. My wife, football fanatic she is, was kind of bummed about that (though drum corps alum she is she was hyped to see Scouts)

here's what the national scale thinks of when they watch the Macy's Day parade:

what commercials showing sales are

what music or tv stars are on the floats

waiting for Santa because that means right after he arrives they can flip on the Detroit Lions pregame show.

right now, more people know who the Madison Scouts are then did before. 95% of the people watching the parade have no idea what clean is and isn't, nor do they care. They saw a huge group, that was stupid loud.

Which means they're equal to KISS in terms of loud, but less pyro.

If Scouts would've had pyro it would've been pretty #### epic: maybe shoot off some fireworks or something during the last park & bark chord. Then the average parade-watcher might've thought "holy crap who's that awesomely large band that shot off fire?!"

Edited by perc2100

In the 80's and perhaps after, when there were still regional divisions/circuits of DCI, Drum Corps East marched a large ensemble comprised (not compromised, Savannah Guthrie) of marchers from each of the circuit corps and more. DCEast did this at least once, perhaps more. Drum Corps Midwest may have done the same.

Actually, in this instance, it's not "comprised" either (according to most but not all grammarians) but rather "composed" that should have been used, but as I said in my post transcribing the NBC hosts' dialogue, almost everybody makes that "mistake". The best way to write the bolded passage using comprise is: "a large ensemble comprising marchers from each of the circuit corps". The word comprise should generally be used in the manner of the word include.

Similarly, John Mayer's standard Governaires introduction should be not "The men and women you see before you comprise the oldest competing drum and bugle corps in the world" but rather "The men and women you see before you are comprised in the oldest competing drum and bugle corps in the world".

According to most but not all grammarians.

"For though the oaths he had taken should have burdened his conscience with sorrow and a great fear of disaster, he had, alas! no conscience at all. And if this regrettable lack in one of imperial lineage was beyond the comprehension of the simple, at the least the parson with his booklearning might have guessed it. Maybe he did. He was a grammarian, and could doubtless see further into the future than others."

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Farmer Giles of Ham

My 12 year old was one of those. He wondered who the "what show or movie are old looking guys pretending to be rock stars from." When I said they're KISS, he remembered them from a Family Guy episode, and seemed mildly amused that they were a real thing.

And sanity yet is once again restored in the world....as it should be!! :dancin:

(P.S. -- Yikes...would somebody please keep this post hidden from N.E. There is enough fodder in one sentence upon which to base an entire grammatical thesis. :ninja: )

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

well I saw KISS with and without make up...it's better they have the make up on