76 years ago

the post was to honor the composer, and a particular musical selection many enjoy. Perhaps you would have been more pleased had I shared Cadets 2013, although their CG did not place as high relative to the field..........

the post was to honor the composer, and a particular musical selection many enjoy. Perhaps you would have been more pleased had I shared Cadets 2013, although their CG did not place as high relative to the field..........

Vanguard performed this at the last show I saw live. It was incredible, absolutely incredible and something I will always remember. I loved the whole show!

• Like 2

Oh now well, the Cadets guard was towering above the rest on the field...

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

That show is one of my favorite memories.

I got tickets to all three nights for finals that year since I lived right up the road in Laurel, MD. MY grandmother had passed away that January and for a number of reasons, I had never really been able to mourn the loss. I'd become really emotionally shut down over the months and remember actually thinking during the first night, "Why aren't these shows making me feel anything. This isn't right." Then SCV did Barber's Adagio and everything opened up.

I got home late that night and crashed while still humming that melody.

The next morning I woke up late and went for my usual walk still hearing the tune in my head...until I could swear I was actually hearing it over and over. At then end of my walk, I made a loop over a hill between my apartment complex and the middle school behind it.

And there on the football field was SCV rehearsing their ballad over and over. I spent the entire day sitting by the back fence listening and finally crying and mourning my grandmother's passing.

To anyone who marched SCV that year, thanks.

• Like 3

2000 was my first finals and stayed on campus in a building that rented rooms. All three days, I walked over to the stadium around 3PM and walked in the open gate. A few years ago the tickets were finally recycled. Sat among SCV parents/fans and Barbers Adagio was my favorite musical piece each night. Always remember the crowd getting excited during the break before the final five competed since it was being broadcast live on TV.