DCA and DCI. Contrasts? Comparisons? etc.... blah blah blah.

Bernie Pack: Yep. But still not to the level Tom McShane reached. HAHAHA!

Heck... no one is, or was, at the Tom McShane level of insanity. He was in a class by himself.

Like you said, Steve... he was Box 6!!!

I miss Tom McShane. I keep hearing he's okay wherever he is and whatever he's doing, but no one seems to really know over the past several years.

For those who don't know Tom-- the best way I can describe him was having Chris Farley on Lead/Split Soprano in your corps.

There are some stories I can repeat. Let's see.....

Would have to be 1980 in Canton, Ohio. A rather out of control weekend overall for the corps. Rook, Howie and I watched Benny Behrens eat a steak. Amazing, especially if you know Benny had one tooth. I gravitated to the quieter shenanigans myself. While I was doing that, McShane went into the nearby mall. An entourage of about 20+ corps members tagged along because you never knew what he'd do next and he didn't care who was with him. Went into the Bon-Ton, made a beeline for the women's department, picked out a dress and asked the saleslady if they had it in his size, size 42 fat......

We had horn rehearsal later that day at the Holiday Inn we stayed at, horns got the pool. Ray Eyler ran practice from the middle of the pool in a raft and then jumped in and stood. He had a lot of fun that day, and we got a lot done as we either stood at the edge of the pool, legs in the pool like me or standing in the shallow end along the edge. McShane went into the pool, went under with only the bell of the soprano sticking out and started playing away......

Made a beer raid with Donny Sweger at 6 AM onto the lollipop bus with snare drum deflector shells on their heads claiming they were aliens who needed earthling beer to live and they were taking all our beer. The problem was that bus 1/lollipop bus HAD no beer. Went into my sister's cooler and found the Donald Duck Orange Juice my Mom packed for us both. She proceeded to smack and yell serious sense into them single-handedly and drive them both off the bus. Donny's quote, "Donald Duck!? WTF is Donald Duck? That's not beer!" was priceless. Looking in a 16 year old kid's cooler for beer shows you how desperate they were. Doing it to someone with cymbal player's arms and finding out how strong they were when my sister smacked them out of the bus, priceless. I thought I'd have to help out my sister, but she took them both out by herself, amazing!

For those of you not familiar with Donald Duck, a link of exactly what Mom packed:

http://www.amazon.com/Donald-Duck-Orange-Juice-5-5-Ounce/dp/B003ZIKC2U

Hmm... can't really tell the story about Boston, the Mormons, and the hotel pool, can I.....?

Hmm, Syracuse NY. Rehearsal at the NY State Fairgrounds. Horn rehearsal was in a storage building in the shade with open garage doors. La Clique Alouette was also there, and for some reason were in uniform during the day. For those who don't know or remember, the guard uniforms were pretty smokin' hot, and I mean smokin'. They wore these really tight white short-shorts, which prompted DCN to put them on the cover of one issue with the caption "OO-LA-LA!!!", they were THAT hot. We see these girls go by, all of our jaws drop. It was... unexpected. There happened to be a stack of pallets next to a huge pile of sawdust in the room. McShane decides he needs to impress these hot young ladies. He goes up the pallets, does a Box 6 wolf Howl, and dives off the stack of pallets into the sawdust pile. How he didn't break anything or sustain any injuries.... I can't tell you.

Will talk about the Arby's in Scranton when he pretended to be deaf and Bob Menear acted as his translator later. Bob was the perfect straight man for McShane.

All in all though, Tom was a good guy to his fellow corps-mates and could play and did the gig the way it was meant to be done when it came time. We kids in the corps loved him, and he was always good to us. I also wanted to make that clear as well. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW

Heck... no one is, or was, at the Tom McShane level box7of insanity. He was in a class by himself.

Like you said, Steve... he was Box 6!!!

box 7

• Like 1

I miss Tom McShane. I keep hearing he's okay wherever he is and whatever he's doing, but no one seems to really know over the past several years.

For those who don't know Tom-- the best way I can describe him was having Chris Farley on Lead/Split Soprano in your corps.

There are some stories I can repeat. Let's see.....

Would have to be 1980 in Canton, Ohio. A rather out of control weekend overall for the corps. Rook, Howie and I watched Benny Behrens eat a steak. Amazing, especially if you know Benny had one tooth. I gravitated to the quieter shenanigans myself. While I was doing that, McShane went into the nearby mall. An entourage of about 20+ corps members tagged along because you never knew what he'd do next and he didn't care who was with him. Went into the Bon-Ton, made a beeline for the women's department, picked out a dress and asked the saleslady if they had it in his size, size 42 fat......

We had horn rehearsal later that day at the Holiday Inn we stayed at, horns got the pool. Ray Eyler ran practice from the middle of the pool in a raft and then jumped in and stood. He had a lot of fun that day, and we got a lot done as we either stood at the edge of the pool, legs in the pool like me or standing in the shallow end along the edge. McShane went into the pool, went under with only the bell of the soprano sticking out and started playing away......

Made a beer raid with Donny Sweger at 6 AM onto the lollipop bus with snare drum deflector shells on their heads claiming they were aliens who needed earthling beer to live and they were taking all our beer. The problem was that bus 1/lollipop bus HAD no beer. Went into my sister's cooler and found the Donald Duck Orange Juice my Mom packed for us both. She proceeded to smack and yell serious sense into them single-handedly and drive them both off the bus. Donny's quote, "Donald Duck!? WTF is Donald Duck? That's not beer!" was priceless. Looking in a 16 year old kid's cooler for beer shows you how desperate they were. Doing it to someone with cymbal player's arms and finding out how strong they were when my sister smacked them out of the bus, priceless. I thought I'd have to help out my sister, but she took them both out by herself, amazing!

For those of you not familiar with Donald Duck, a link of exactly what Mom packed:

http://www.amazon.com/Donald-Duck-Orange-Juice-5-5-Ounce/dp/B003ZIKC2U

Hmm... can't really tell the story about Boston, the Mormons, and the hotel pool, can I.....?

Hmm, Syracuse NY. Rehearsal at the NY State Fairgrounds. Horn rehearsal was in a storage building in the shade with open garage doors. La Clique Alouette was also there, and for some reason were in uniform during the day. For those who don't know or remember, the guard uniforms were pretty smokin' hot, and I mean smokin'. They wore these really tight white short-shorts, which prompted DCN to put them on the cover of one issue with the caption "OO-LA-LA!!!", they were THAT hot. We see these girls go by, all of our jaws drop. It was... unexpected. There happened to be a stack of pallets next to a huge pile of sawdust in the room. McShane decides he needs to impress these hot young ladies. He goes up the pallets, does a Box 6 wolf Howl, and dives off the stack of pallets into the sawdust pile. How he didn't break anything or sustain any injuries.... I can't tell you.

Will talk about the Arby's in Scranton when he pretended to be deaf and Bob Menear acted as his translator later. Bob was the perfect straight man for McShane.

All in all though, Tom was a good guy to his fellow corps-mates and could play and did the gig the way it was meant to be done when it came time. We kids in the corps loved him, and he was always good to us. I also wanted to make that clear as well. :satisfied:

when he came back in 1991, we filled a cooler with about 8 kinds of beer. Tom would do cooler dives. we told him the flavor we wanted, he dove into the cooler and came up with the right flavor in his teeth

• Like 1

One of yinz ought to post that photo of Tom wearing the bathing suit. Whose was it? Troutman, something?

Hope there ain't a pic from the scene that included the line to the life guard "Excuse me, there is a bathing suit in the bottom of the pool. Oh wait that's mine". And who ate the Izod alligator off of someones shirt? Want to think Orge (who later became a horn instructor). It was "I HATE those things..... *chomp*".

OK, do DCI corps include craziness like this. And of they do, do they allow the person to come back?

Oh yeah, Troutmans first name was Deb...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Hope there ain't a pic from the scene that included the line to the life guard "Excuse me, there is a bathing suit in the bottom of the pool. Oh wait that's mine". And who ate the Izod alligator off of someones shirt? Want to think Orge (who later became a horn instructor). It was "I HATE those things..... *chomp*".

OK, do DCI corps include craziness like this. And of they do, do they allow the person to come back?

Oh yeah, Troutmans first name was Deb...

Sue

• Like 1

1991; Tom swiped "somebody's" favorite Crossmen t shirt, attached it to a pole and set fire to it, then quickstep marched it across the rehearsal field, in full view of the shirts owner. HUT HUT HUT HUT! LOL!

you e only shirt that person EVER wore

• Like 1