In The Past 25 Years....

It's interesting to me that 2014 saw the winning show have a super (ish) thorough concept/theme, while the silver medalist had a super broad concept: great examples of how to be successful at both 'extremes' so to speak.

Bluecoats really excelled with the KISS concept (Keep It Simple Stupid): like they had just enough of a theme to develop cool visual and music ideas while executing incredibly well, and didn't let some story or theme bog them down like other corps.

Blue Devils really excelled exploiting the life-work and themes of an incredible film director & that director's long-time relationship with his composer: there is sooooo much ground to cover with Fellini BD did a nice job keeping it fairly focused while exploiting seemingly ever single count with thematic ideas - all while delivering awesome music near-flawlessly.

Totally agree.

It's interesting to me that 2014 saw the winning show have a super (ish) thorough concept/theme, while the silver medalist had a super broad concept: great examples of how to be successful at both 'extremes' so to speak.

Bluecoats really excelled with the KISS concept (Keep It Simple Stupid): like they had just enough of a theme to develop cool visual and music ideas while executing incredibly well, and didn't let some story or theme bog them down like other corps.

Blue Devils really excelled exploiting the life-work and themes of an incredible film director & that director's long-time relationship with his composer: there is sooooo much ground to cover with Fellini BD did a nice job keeping it fairly focused while exploiting seemingly ever single count with thematic ideas - all while delivering awesome music near-flawlessly.

BD for a change was "gettable" even if you didn't know much about Fellini. Hence why so little complaining this past year

BD for a change was "gettable" even if you didn't know much about Fellini. Hence why so little complaining this past year

Yeah, which is kind of odd (in an awesome way) since Fellini is not exactly a mainstream/accessible artist. BD did a nice job of grabbing the broader, more mainstream imagery and 'obsessions' of Fellini (like the circus clowns). Maybe it had more to do with Nino Rota's really accessible music scores (with Gordon Goodwin's always amazing music thrown in for fun) drawing the fans in

Yeah, which is kind of odd (in an awesome way) since Fellini is not exactly a mainstream/accessible artist. BD did a nice job of grabbing the broader, more mainstream imagery and 'obsessions' of Fellini (like the circus clowns). Maybe it had more to do with Nino Rota's really accessible music scores (with Gordon Goodwin's always amazing music thrown in for fun) drawing the fans in

I also think that there were many moments, like the opening trumpet feature, the tambourine feature, the use of the stage that all played in. Of course people criticize the slow walk on the catwalk and all that, but they did a good job of making it Fellini without even knowing his films, for those that didn't.

• Like 2

I think it's the difference between 'theme' and 'story.' Bluecoats and Blue Devils both had a wonderfully developed theme without hitting you over the head with a story. Or if it was there, it was buried deep enough as to not be obvious.

I think that's a big turn off for fans - if you put a story in the show, you absolutely have to make it either so obvious that nobody can miss it (Spartacus, anyone?), or so subtle that if you don't see it you don't miss it. The shows that fans like the least are the ones that they know they're supposed to be getting something from, but can't figure out what it is. (Bluecoats "Imagine" in 2009 comes immediately to mind, and one that I seem to remember the staff even admitting that they should have made more clear.)

Mike

• Like 2

the props, the cameras, the stage

I think it's the difference between 'theme' and 'story.' Bluecoats and Blue Devils both had a wonderfully developed theme without hitting you over the head with a story. Or if it was there, it was buried deep enough as to not be obvious.

I think that's a big turn off for fans - if you put a story in the show, you absolutely have to make it either so obvious that nobody can miss it (Spartacus, anyone?), or so subtle that if you don't see it you don't miss it. The shows that fans like the least are the ones that they know they're supposed to be getting something from, but can't figure out what it is. (Bluecoats "Imagine" in 2009 comes immediately to mind, and one that I seem to remember the staff even admitting that they should have made more clear.)

Mike

ding ding

I thought BD 07 was the history of the corps broken into dark into light theme with some sort of birth thing?

Colts 1992, did they have a theme?

Yes. It was the first attempt at a "Four Seasons" show.... Which major chunks of survived into the next years' show... 1993 "Four Seasons" show...

Yes. It was the first attempt at a "Four Seasons" show.... Which major chunks of survived into the next years' show... 1993 "Four Seasons" show...

shhh...i kinda liked 92 better