In The Past 25 Years....

Yea but I love the activity anyway!

• Like 1

In my mind, the addition of a mere "Show Title" doth not a theme make.

Heck...I could create a show entitled "Confusion," or "Discombobulation", and have it made up of an arrangement of a piece by Hildegard Von Bingen, the "Love Theme from 'Deep Throat', Shostakovich's String Quartet #3, and end with "Imperial March' from "Star Wars." Confusing? Totally. A theme? Rather unlikely...

Hey...just had a thought...maybe I should field-test this in WGI....

I agree. Or you can slap the title of "Discombobulation" on any number of old-school DCI shows from the 70s or 80s and it would fit a theme.

I miss Chops, Inc All Age corps..... some show titles

The Kitchen Sink

I Don't Need No Potatoes - Just Give Me Some Meat!

4 Chickens and Some Dry White Toast

Would You Like Some Fries With That Shake?

I Kissed Winnie Cooper

and my fav:

Yes, We're Serious - And Don't Call Us Shirley!

Actually some made sense when you saw the music played.... but the titles :tounge2:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

I agree. Some of the titles used in the past have had me wondering what the link was.

Like "Tilt." It's a show title: a word. That music is not really connected in any thematic way and if we're being really honest Bluecoats visually was a lot of "OK, lets lean again in this set to the right this time!" I mean, the climax of the show was someone running and jumping off of a ramp: you would really have to work to find a "Tilt" in that climax.

Don't get me wrong, 'Tilt' was a fun show, and it worked really well, but I think to call it a "themed" show is tenuous.

• Like 2

That was it, and it was a theme. May not be as literal as the Cadets Angels and Demons show, but a theme none-the-less. The non-traditional time signatures tied the show together musically, thus creating a theme.

Nope. Not a theme

Nope. Not a theme

What defines a theme then, in your opinion?

Nope. Not a theme

Yup. Yes it is. It's a very flimsy theme, but it's something.

Now if you want to know a show that didn't really have a theme -- and it's weird that it's also the Crossmen -- go check out 1997, "Colors of Jazz." (even the title of the show is purposefully vague) Three totally unrelated jazz selections by different composers, and no real obvious usage of specific colors for each of the tunes which made it clear they were going for a recognizable color theme to hang the concept on. It was just a very audience-friendly show filled with some catchy melodies, a tight percussion ensemble, and a pretty darned good color guard. I enjoyed that show a lot. Saw it many times on tour that year. In June, I thought they had little chance of making finals, yet they turned it on and wound up in the top 6.

Yup. Yes it is. It's a very flimsy theme, but it's something.

Now if you want to know a show that didn't really have a theme -- and it's weird that it's also the Crossmen -- go check out 1997, "Colors of Jazz." (even the title of the show is purposefully vague) Three totally unrelated jazz selections by different composers, and no real obvious usage of specific colors for each of the tunes which made it clear they were going for a recognizable color theme to hang the concept on. It was just a very audience-friendly show filled with some catchy melodies, a tight percussion ensemble, and a pretty darned good color guard. I enjoyed that show a lot. Saw it many times on tour that year. In June, I thought they had little chance of making finals, yet they turned it on and wound up in the top 6.

We spent a lot of time with them in 1997, great kids and great show!

Concepts will hopefully replace themes. It will loosely connect a show in subtle ways and will allow for more artistic expression without hopefully the cheese that sometimes tops theme shows in August to ram the theme down our throats.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1