Saint Patricks Parades

Many L.I. and CT parades postponed until next weekend due to wet weather conditions (rain, icy rain, snow) still occurring, some resulting in flooding..

In fact, Mother Nature never seems to rest from New England winters until April 15th or so. Remembering those 30+ inches on April first in Boston not so long ago...

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Sunrisers have the Miller Place -Rocky Point parade tomorrow .

Hanover Lancers will be at York, PA for the parade and probably the traditional pre-parade concert in the square.

Wanting for Tony (TennTux) to see if Reilly will be across the river from me at Harrisburg.

Trying to remember if York got snowed out one year recently or if that was a Fall Millersville, PA college parade... probably both...

Nope.... We've (Reilly) been canceled. Not sure what happened, that's way above my pay grade... heh

Donna and I have rescheduled us to attending Sky Alumni's BHOF. Looking forward to getting some audios, videos and pics!... (Donna will be a guest with the Brassmen Alumni's Honor Guard for the BHOF)

My good friend (Fran) is MC'ing the Maryland Drum Corps Hall of Fame in Baltimore that night... :thumbs-up:

• Like 2

As Fran posted.... Reilly is in Baltimore tomorrow (15th). I'll be following Reilly all the way in my van and taking my world famous "A View From The Van" photos! (OK, so they're only famous with Reilly. LOL)

Weather reports for Baltimore tomorrow say "windy with clouds and sun" (reporting a high of 51 w/winds around 18 and gusts up to 31 miles per hour... Better than rain! :shutup: )

• Like 1

Well I screwed up as Harrisburgs parade is next week.

H-burg tried to compete with York a year or two and got clobbered as Yorks is bigger and better organized. Forgot they went to a different weekend.

Nope.... We've (Reilly) been canceled. Not sure what happened, that's way above my pay grade... heh

Donna and I have rescheduled us to attending Sky Alumni's BHOF. Looking forward to getting some audios, videos and pics!... (Donna will be a guest with the Brassmen Alumni's Honor Guard for the BHOF)

My good friend (Fran) is MC'ing the Maryland Drum Corps Hall of Fame in Baltimore that night... :thumbs-up:

Great folks in the Maryland HOF Class of 2015!!!

I'll post the names again in a separate thread after the banquet.

Only drum and "bugle" groups in NYC was Old Guard from Washington, D.C. (valve-less) and Tarrytown, NY Brassmen (all 3 valve of different makes and models, really a brass 'band.") Loads of fife and drum corps, pipe bands, and some interesting international groups.

I am not sure when Ireland added Osaka, Japan as a county (after NY and Boston,) but the Osaka Toin H.S. band (Japan's national champs) had a tonality which was as good as Carolina Crown and maybe better. The band marched 14 concert french horns in its large ensemble which definitely bore U.S. drum corps training. The most recent Irish Consul General stationed in NYC headed off to a posting in Japan which is flourishing in St. Patrick's Day parades in addition to the new interest in anything drum corps, winter guard or competitive marching band. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304914904579439303727848842

None of the Irish drum corps (Ravens, Vikings, etc.) marched in NYC but other Irish brass bands and community bands did beyond just the pipers and squeeze boxes.

Musical groups from Brittany in France, Galicia in Spain, and Argentina and Chile in South America also marched in the 6 hour parade whose winds would have made Chicago feel jealous. I marched too.

Edited by xandandl

Did a little search for Osaka Toin out of curiosity. Found a video. Much :inlove: for that unreal sound of the ensemble, and the kids can PLAY. Visuals, more in the traditional vein, but musically, UNREAL. Worth the time to look, and yeah the stuff is all in kanji, just click the one with the white unis. Has to be them since they spell out "TOIN" in the drill.... :whistle:

And yes, they're marching frakin' bassoons... no lie!

For thoses who might be interested tomorrows parade in Holyloke ,Mass,will can be watched on your computer ,It starts at noon and features ,the Bushwackers ,L.I.Sunrisers ,Fusion Core ,Huricanes ,Excelior ,Caballero's missing from the line -up this year is Winsor Regiment .

http://www.holylokepatricksparade.com Enjoy its a great Drum Corps parade