Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

I saw them live twice last week, seeing 2 different endings. The ending in Atlanta saw them use their giant ink pens(?) and unveil more papers with writing on them at the end. I felt that was a great use of them, since they didn't really do anything with the props in the previous ending.

I saw a video of the run from last night, with yet another new ending, taking that part out, reverting to not doing much with the pens again. Anyone know why?

BD's closer right now just does not have a visually ending as strong as 2,3 others around them, imo.

When the judges ultimately select its Champion for each season, invariably, 9 times out of 10 times, the declared winner has a closer that is a stunner. It screams out to us " Champion ". I'm just not feeling that right now with BD, despite their current 1st place standing. That said, the rest of the show is of Chamionship caliber, imo, and the MM talent is first rate thoughout the show. Will this be enough for them ?. It just might be. Then again... maybe not. And if BD just misses at Finals, in retrospect they might wonder if a different visual ending might have served them a bit better this season.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Out of curiosity, what are the ladder/ chairs supposed to represent? I feel like it's something obvious, but I can't figure it out

Out of curiosity, what are the ladder/ chairs supposed to represent? I feel like it's something obvious, but I can't figure it out

i don't think they "represent" anything in this case. I think they are primarily functional, allowing for the visual/interest effects of having the snare line elevated in the show's beginning, and later the guard doing the up and down trades of the spinning rifles. Unless, of course, they are meant to symbolize the ascendance of mankind as the result of the development of written language! Or not.
  • Like 1

BD's closer right now just does not have a visually ending as strong as 2,3 others around them, imo.

When the judges ultimately select its Champion for each season, invariably, 9 times out of 10 times, the declared winner has a closer that is a stunner. It screams out to us " Champion ". I'm just not feeling that right now with BD, despite their current 1st place standing. That said, the rest of the show is of Chamionship caliber, imo, and the MM talent is first rate thoughout the show. Will this be enough for them ?. It just might be. Then again... maybe not. And if BD just misses at Finals, in retrospect they might wonder if a different visual ending might have served them a bit better this season.

Disagree somewhat. BD hasn't really had a "wow" ending in a while in my opinion. They've generally just wrapped up the theme. Musically they've been great, but just so-so visually, so I don't think they'll be looking at the closer as a reason they fell short of the gold if that's what happens. That said, I agree they could be doing more with the closer drill this year. I actually liked the corner drill better. Now they build to that box and then don't do much with it. They get it going a but in the last few moves, but it's still lacking.

They have a ton of rehearsal up until finals so there's still time to make some changes, if they even want to.

Giants in the sky.

I was in Allentown last night, and the Devils were fantastic musically. I was sitting very low, so I can't comment on the drill - but I can echo what others have said about the marching technique (as always) and the impact of their guard.

Their sound last night was in another ballpark from everyone else (I'd say that BK was by far closest in brass and SCV's drums seemed cleaner, JMO). That's to be expected given that the rest of their "tier" wasn't there. Their show was very well received in my section (I, near the bottom), and I made it a point to take a look back at the crowd during the K-pop part of the show - because I'm not a fan. The kids in the crowd (in general, of course) really seemed to dig it.

Who knows what championships week will bring, I really enjoyed the show. Like most shows, it is an entirely different production live.

Disagree somewhat. BD hasn't really had a "wow" ending in a while in my opinion. They've generally just wrapped up the theme. Musically they've been great, but just so-so visually, so I don't think they'll be looking at the closer as a reason they fell short of the gold if that's what happens. That said, I agree they could be doing more with the closer drill this year. I actually liked the corner drill better. Now they build to that box and then don't do much with it. They get it going a but in the last few moves, but it's still lacking.

They have a ton of rehearsal up until finals so there's still time to make some changes, if they even want to.

If you notice the guard members turn the pages of all the books. I think that is brilliant and what I have always wanted them to do.

• Like 1

If you notice the guard members turn the pages of all the books. I think that is brilliant and what I have always wanted them to do.

That's a nice touch for sure. Their closing visual statements the last couple season have been focused on whatever the color guard does to wrap up the theme, which is fine, but I still think they could do more with the corps.

I also wonder if they will add something to those book "pages" to make them pop more when they turn the page.

Edited by mboogey73