Playing...adequately in Plainwell

GE (Visual oriented) Mark Hart

GE (Music oriented) Mark McGahey

Visual Analysis: M. Heather

Color Guard: M. Carlburg

Music Analysis: S. Page

per Fromthepressbox.com

Not a good judging lineup for Spirit. Color guard/visual is usually their weakness. They'll get better scores with brass and drumjudges.

• Like 1

WC predictions:

Madison Scouts 62.6

Crossmen 61.5

Colts 59.6

Spirit of Atlanta 58.4

No percussion judge again tonight for this show.

So when there no drum judge does it get covered in Music Analysis or GE ?

Not a true read on any of the corps .

Edited by Florida Sun

Well I hope Spirit has a good run tonight. They lost some valuable practice time with the problems with the truck driver who quit and left them without equipment. For those who haven't seen the show. It's entertaining. Sure it's still needs work but the music, drill, and hornline is vastly improved from a year ago. The show has a lot of energy and a beautiful moving ballad with a pretty nice sounding Flugelhorn soloist. And, an added plus.....they are LOUD.

I'm not sure how it will go without a drum judge.

No percussion judge again tonight for this show.

With Corps investing a million dollars and more each summer for these competitions, you'd think that a way could be worked out where these kids get full panels for ALL these shows. its a short competitive season.. 8-9 weeks. Nothing screams mickey mouse operation than half judging panels, imo. Too bad the kids who give 100% to get ready all winter, spring for these shows are met with 40-50% commitment from DCI, with only 40-50% judging panels. There was a time, not that long ago, where ALL June shows across the country had full judging panels for these kids to be judged in competition. I understand the need to economize of late, but do we really need to do it with the heart of the competition evaluation process itself ?

With Corps investing a million dollars and more each summer for these competitions, you'd think that a way could be worked out where these kids get full panels for ALL these shows. its a short competitive season.. 8-9 weeks. Nothing screams mickey mouse operation than half judging panels, imo. Too bad the kids who give 100% to get ready all winter, spring for these shows are met with 40-50% commitment from DCI, with only 40-50% judging panels. There was a time, not that long ago, where ALL June shows across the country had full judging panels for these kids to be judged in competition. I understand the need to economize of late, but do we really need to do it with the heart of the competition evaluation process itself ?

Seems like a simple solution, they need more regional judges. And they wouldn't have to pay them much $$ as I am sure there are those in the music industry/educators that judge band competitions, etc that would love to have DCI Judge on their resume. They just have too few judges out there to adequately give the corps a good read early in the season. AND, if money was an issue, have DCI film the show from the box and let judges view the show via the web...scores would be posted the next morning or a couple hours after the show...At least they would be getting a full panel read, and if having full panels isn't an option, and having more regionally based judges isn't an option, then why can't web based judging be an option and it would only be for the judges who were not present? It would be better than what is happening now. It's 2015...I'm pretty sure the technology exists these days...Use it.

Edited by JKT90