Between the corps...

No, this isn't another thread about INT.

The ragging and false bravado that has plagued some posters in discussing the apparent dissing between Troopers and Crusaders seems quite out of the norm of the good relationships corps seems to be sharing this season.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/160781-boston-crusaders-2015-75th/page-77

[cf. posts 763-783].

While such "rivalries" may hearken back to the histories of certain units, they don't seem typical of what the activity is about today. With so many units now claiming national and international memberships, it's not unlikely in this century for "competitors" to be dorm mates, even room mates off season with many college marching units comprised of students who march in several different DCI corps. High school students go off to different corps only to rejoin as one once the new scholastic year begins. Certainly the guard members and percussionists aren't bound by false boundaries as they perform in WGI during the winter season.

Times have changed from the "neighborhood gangs" who were taught to march and play but sometimes reverted back to gang mentality and misbehavior in the parking lots before or after shows in the 50's and '60's, and a little while into the early years of DCI.

Today we see Bluecoats hosting The Cadets for a joint show-n-tell, picnic, and Spring Training celebration although one unit defeated the other in a close Finals last August. We see the strong bond between Crossmen and Spirit each season with Crossmen even adopting the Spirit delta for their own Finals retreat formation. And hopefully we will well experience a joint concert at Tanglewood by Blue Devils and Boston Crusaders in Lenox, Mass where friendships and mutual respect will certainly grow.

Whether it's from the old DCM Field day activities, Spirit rising to the occasion to equip the Cadets after the tragic events in Stillwater years back, Surf mimicking the Bridgemen, or how so many corps fed and later accepted kids from Teal Sound and other struggling units facing difficulties on tour, solidarity and fraternity in the activity is usually greater than the dust ups and anxiety from those who get their backs up. Just think of all the joint encores done at so many contests and various corps joining their hornlines or other elements while we await scores. We are all better for it.

What are your good experiences of sharing with another corps besides the one(s) for whom you owe your greatest allegiance?

• Like 2

I thought we had this settled already. The only place where there was a "diss" by BAC's drum majors toward theTroopers DM was in the mind of an onlooker who did know the facts. The Boston DMs, on the instruction of the contest coordinator at the Pittsburg show, went on ahead of the Troopers DM. The coordinator simply wanted to get things moving, and the Troopers DM apparently had no issues with this.

I really hope that DCP doesn't create an issue where there is none. Drum corps is NOT like the "old days" when people on the field were itching for a conflict. I would hope the same could be said for the "adults" who post on DCP.

• Like 3

I thought we had this settled already. The only place where there was a "diss" by BAC's drum majors toward theTroopers DM was in the mind of an onlooker who did know the facts. The Boston DMs, on the instruction of the contest coordinator at the Pittsburg show, went on ahead of the Troopers DM. The coordinator simply wanted to get things moving, and the Troopers DM apparently had no issues with this.

I really hope that DCP doesn't create an issue where there is none. Drum corps is NOT like the "old days" when people on the field were itching for a conflict. I would hope the same could be said for the "adults" who post on DCP.

Again Craiga you harp on one perhaps negative sentence and disregard the other four positive paragraphs. i did not point blame, only highlighted what others saw as a concern, and pointed the conversation to a more postive direction. You apparently are unable to journey in that direction.

Again Craiga you harp on one perhaps negative sentence and disregard the other four positive paragraphs. i did not point blame, only highlighted what others saw as a concern, and pointed the conversation to a more postive direction. You apparently are unable to journey in that direction

No harping here...you found it necessary to repeat something that was patently untrue to make your point (a point which I agree with, btw). As you undoubtedly know, something repeated over and over on social media inevitably becomes accepted as fact.

While I absolutely agree with your premise, the example you cited was patently disingenuous. There are no issues between these two fine drum corps...ask them and they'll tell you.

My freshman year of college, the music department at my first university had several current marching members from the Cavaliers, Blue Knights, and Troopers. We all were great friends throughout the school year and following marching season (which was my last).

During the free day in San Antonio 2012, when pretty much all the corps where there and had a day off for I&E, it was pretty much a giant drum corps party on the river walk. Members from at least 5 or 6 different corps were all hanging out in restaurants and stores up and down the place.

Members from our corps would sometimes go march other corps in later seasons. There were rarely any hard feelings about this, and we remained friends with those people.

Because our staff members had varying backgrounds of marching activity, we had close relationships with other corps because of their connections. Especially the Blue Devils with our visual staff.

Towards the end, Troopers and Pioneer started developing a real tight relationship. Troop volunteers made a cake for Pioneer's anniversary and we celebrated together after one of the shows.

Were there still some competitive rivalries? Yep. But some people still had friends even within those "rival" corps. We all wanted that finals spot. But in the end, we were all just kids marching summer drum band together.

• Like 4

Also, there's been the recent tradition at finals retreat of the winning corps congratulating and celebrating with those around them. This is a huge display of unity and sportsmanship in my eyes, and I hope it continues.

Edited by TroopAlum12
  • Like 2

My freshman year of college, the music department at my first university had several current marching members from the Cavaliers, Blue Knights, and Troopers. We all were great friends throughout the school year and following marching season (which was my last).

During the free day in San Antonio 2012, when pretty much all the corps where there and had a day off for I&E, it was pretty much a giant drum corps party on the river walk. Members from at least 5 or 6 different corps were all hanging out in restaurants and stores up and down the place.

Members from our corps would sometimes go march other corps in later seasons. There were rarely any hard feelings about this, and we remained friends with those people.

Because our staff members had varying backgrounds of marching activity, we had close relationships with other corps because of their connections. Especially the Blue Devils with our visual staff.

Towards the end, Troopers and Pioneer started developing a real tight relationship. Troop volunteers made a cake for Pioneer's anniversary and we celebrated together after one of the shows.

Were there still some competitive rivalries? Yep. But some people still had friends even within those "rival" corps. We all wanted that finals spot. But in the end, we were all just kids marching summer drum band together.

Ahhh...shadows of Jesse Owens and Lutz Long at the '36 Berlin Olympics.

Proves that the spirit of respect CAN peacefully co-exist in competition...even at the highest of levels.

• Like 1

Also, there's been the recent tradition at finals retreat of the winning corps congratulating and celebrating with those around them. This is a huge display of unity and sportsmanship in my eyes, and I hope it continues.

Bluecoats/Blue Devils at last year's finals being among the most heartwarming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imQYsHuCJhk

Edited to add a comment: (Previous editing redacted.)

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

. With so many units now claiming national and international memberships, it's not unlikely in this century for "competitors" to be dorm mates, even room mates off season with many college marching units comprised of students who march in several different DCI corps. High school students go off to different corps only to rejoin as one once the new scholastic year begins. Certainly the guard members and percussionists aren't bound by false boundaries as they perform in WGI during the winter season.

And of course forward looking people that take the long view, begin to wonder if the lack of any real connection to Corps except for a season or 2 eventually will lead to increased dead dial tones on the end of the telephone lines when Corps fund raisers call in a decade or so for future donations from todays marchers to keep these Corps afloat. It cuts both ways. Will todays marchers, many of whom in 10 years will be involved in comparatively low paying education jobs, struggling with college bills, mortgages, health care costs, no social security benefits on the horizon, pension cutbacks, etc be wanting to write large annual checks to Corps not in their home towns nor states,, and in which they were just passing thru for a year or two ? I doubt it. But I guess we'll find out down the road how successful the long term pledges of financial support will be when todays old dinos that currently support the few remaining Corps increasingly begin to push up daisies.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2