Between the corps...

Yeah i remember BITD being told stay away from certain corps and there would be trouble after the show from certain corps with the THUG reputation( will remain nameless lol ). Even corps from the same town, which there were many back then you almost hid you had friends in these other corps although you may have went to school with them. Then there were also some corps you were friendly with. Usually those were far away or they may have stayed at your home or you hosted them at your home show.

Sorry but I had to chime in when I heard THUG...that was a stigma that I could never understand why it even existed...except for the very fact that...unfortunately it came straight from one of the top 6 corps directors at the time...I'm choosing here to not name the corps or year and be vague for a reason...too many DCP detectives...lol...and stirring up very old news is not worth it...it was just such a petty thing that really just irked me to no end...at the time...

Everything is different from BITD... I grew up in a neighborhood in which no less than 12 Corps were represented with current marchers ( both Junior, Senior ) within a mile circular radius. As such,just about everybody within my neighborhood and community knew what a " Drum & Bugle Corps " was. Today, we have DCI marchers where they have to go dozens of miles or more to find their closest marcher in a Corps... and not only does nobody within that dozens of miles of range know what a " Drum $ Bugle Corps ", is, there are no parades, no shows, no circuits, no TV, no radio, no people, that know what a Drum Corps is within those dozens of miles.... some cases, hundreds of miles. Especially if they are under 50 years of age. There are no rival local Corps fights. Of course not. There are no local Corps rivals period, anymore. So its all changed. Its so changed, that its not even worthwhile to compare things that can no longer be compared as the change itself has made any attempt at a comparison irrelevant, imo.

When I was stationed at Scott AFB & lived in Belleville IL I ran across a late 1950's newspaper that spoke of the results of a local drum corps contest - 14 corps and all were from the same county (St Claire); 8 from city of Belleville proper, and 3 were all-girl (to be fair most of, if not all, the rest back then were probably all-male).

Those days are gone forever, and I fear the activity is worse-off for it.

Sorry but I had to chime in when I heard THUG...that was a stigma that I could never understand why it even existed...except for the very fact that...unfortunately it came straight from one of the top 6 corps directors at the time...I'm choosing here to not name the corps or year and be vague for a reason...too many DCP detectives...lol...and stirring up very old news is not worth it...it was just such a petty thing that really just irked me to no end...at the time...

Well, to thicken the mystery, there was a director of an early-1970s top-6 DCI corps that served a prison sentence for murder (of another corp's drum major).

I am not making this up.

dont know how far you go back but there were many times we were warned as a corps stay away from certain corps that there was a very bad rep. and sent word of fighting. NO this wasnt the 80s or 90s, back further and yes has no consequence now but was just responding to the other poster.and friends today and how different our activity was, as some pointed out.

Edited by GUARDLING

Well, to thicken the mystery, there was a director of an early-1970s top-6 DCI corps that served a prison sentence for murder (of another corp's drum major).

I am not making this up.

No you arent BUT there are lots of theories behind that whole thing. No need to rehash