Rose Bowl- Corps at the Crest Part Dos

This is how it is set up per the judges agreement

(Who can blame them, they get to spend a few weeks in sunny California and out of the rainy midwest/east coast...)

In all seriousness, DCI needs to split this bill evenly though and make some executive decisions that benefit their other member corps from an educational perspective. This is not new to 2015. Ever since these limited panels were rolled out to save money, there has been an obvious slant towards where these limited panels are relegated to and where the party happens.

It's a fair complaint. I wonder what determines this; maybe it's not a matter of planning so much it's a matter of chance/logistics. Are the judges volunteers? Where, regionally, do they tend to live?

LOL LOL LOL. This might be the funniest question I've ever read on DCP (no offense). I realize you may have genuinely been asking. But yeah... no. They're definitely not. :)

Yes, some do live out there. But there are still plenty of others who they fly in from well across the country still. So if logistical challenges were the issue, they would be making it a 5-person panel just like everywhere else and not bringing in other folks still.

Trust me, I scratch my head just as much as you are with wondering how it all happens...

Edited by IMcomguy
  • Like 1

When it comes down to it, the early shows and the scores they generate don't mean a whole lot. The regionals is where it really matters and they'll have full panels.

So accurate feedback during the early part of the season doesn't matter? Tell me you're not serious. This is THE MOST crucial time of the year to formulate and refine shows. Not after you've met up with everyone at a Regional.

And plus, I'm not talking about scores, I'm talking about feedback. Feedback feedback feedback. What is and what isn't working. Every night, the boys on the coast are getting 3 additional tapes to listen to. Multiply that by 7 or 8 shows before they hit the rest of the circuit and you're talking 20+ additional critiqued views for opportunities to improve upon and make key changes to a show. Instructors of some other top flight corps are getting peeved and that's coming directly from the horse's mouth. I still haven't heard an explanation for why this practice of awarding the west coast with full panels every night is acceptable from an educational standpoint. And this is not about number of corps. There was a show in Muncie the other night that had 8 of the Top 12 FINALIST corps there and it was slated for a 5-body panel. My proof is listed above and the skewed listing is fact. I'm just asking why this can not be changed or at least made so it attempts to look a bit more balanced.

That's my point. No way regiment is lining up with cavaliers correctly, subtract about 1.5 from these scores imo

George I respect you and mostly agree with your posts, but I don't think theirs much inflation here esp in relation to the Regiment, BK, SCV or BD. if there's West Coast inflation u could make the argument with Academy, PC and Mandarins but those corps are all having banner years and have improved light years. Cavies have a great corps this year, but the layering/noisiness of the show may hurt them in the end. Of BK, Phantom and Cavies I think the Cavies have the most Forced Music book. In my opinion it doesn't flow well. I think Phantom has very well layered and thought out music- may not have as much meat technically as Cavies or BK but still a great well written book. Drill wise all three corps have great and effective writing. Performance wise BK and Cavies have amazing drums this year and Phantom is right there also. Brass BK is slightly ahead of Regiment but basically tied and the quality I'm sure is no different from Cavies. Guard wise BK is showing promise but likely behind Cavies and is behind Regiment. GE is hard to say til they all stack up together. Vis seems to be strong for all three corps but again dirt in the early going, BK incomplete show- time will tell. Just saying this George I think this is the best Phantom has been since the Juliet show, this is the best BK has ever been and Cavies are also improved this season thus far. But, I contend that these three corps will switch places head to head all season long. Honestly there are 8 top 6 corps this year. Just my opinion, and you could be right about the scoring as well but the quality of judge that's on the West Coast is the same as the Midwest so I'm not buying the inflation for Regiment, or any West Coast Corps. Have a great season, I can't wait to see the Cadets in SA!!

Wes P

Edited by wesleyrp
  • Like 1

(Who can blame them, they get to spend a few weeks in sunny California and out of the rainy midwest/east coast...)

In all seriousness, DCI needs to split this bill evenly though and make some executive decisions that benefit their other member corps from an educational perspective. This is not new to 2015. Ever since these limited panels were rolled out to save money, there has been an obvious slant towards where these limited panels are relegated to and where the party happens.

I find if extremely unfair each year that midwest and east coast corps get the evil step child treatment from DCI. The advantage goes to the west coast corps since they receive full panel reviews and feedback that the rest of dci have to wait till when...July to get??? How can this be changed or is the excuse of saving money going to keep the field uneven and unfair to all but West Coast corps?? Given the way the whole DCI Live/Fan Network fiasco was handle I expect the favoritism to continue. Not a good way to run a company. :glare:

George I respect you and mostly agree with your posts, but I don't think theirs much inflation

Wes P

Hey Wes

More corps in the contest could have spread the scores out a lite more

Not alleging some rampant inflation or anything

As you say, we will know soon enough as the corps move in to regionals

Enjoy this great season!

Edited by George Dixon

Great point and justified... Interestingly enough, I was thinking the same thing in the last few shows with the Cavies... With only one champion level corps at the show above Cavaliers lately their scores have jumped rather dramatically and might have been held down a bit with a bigger lineup. Great point and why going the SA show is already making me smile. What a season shaping up

• Like 1

I think it's entirely possible Crown could be dragged into the BK/PR/Cavies dogfight.

As you said, Wes..."Crazy, and fun..."!!

Crown hasn't performed in days so you can't use their score to slot them.

Does anybody think that Blue Stars (68.8 in WI) will only beat The Academy (67.1 in CA) by 1.7 head to head, or trail Crossmen (69.1 in IN) by .3? I sure don't. You can also track Scouts vs Crossmen - when they last played together in KY, Madison (66.5 in WI) led by 1.2, but last nights scores would have Crossmen (69.1 in IN) leaping to a 2.6 lead, a nearly 4 point swing. It appears to me that the folks at the Madison show have their scores deflated by around 2 points or so compared to the other two shows last night.