The Rise of Pseudointellectuals on DCP

Sigh. I just wanted a conversation on this issue. Not an argument on the use of a word.

Mods: please either change the name of this topic to "Why Overthink It?" or lock it please. I'd love to keep it open so that discussion can be continued, but not something as pointless as this.

If you have an issue with someone's opinion try confronting it directly instead of fighting it in strawman form in a passive-aggressive thread built on a malapropism wherein you demand that other posters stop doing things that you're doing left and right.

• Like 2

If you have an issue with someone's opinion try confronting it directly instead of fighting it in strawman form in a passive-aggressive thread built on a malapropism wherein you demand that other posters stop doing things that you're doing left and right.

??? Clearly the malapropism wasn't my intent.

• Like 2

I think Plato would turn over in his grave after this intellectualized conversation. The only other comment I have is when the conversation turns ugly as it does at time consider the source and move on.

So far nobody has asked any of us mouth breathing, low brow, DCP pseudointellectuals to go out and drink some hemlock, ala Socrates.

And thus, as golfcourse groundskeeper, Carl Spackler might say : .... " So,... I got that going for me. "

Edited by BRASSO

Sigh. I just wanted a conversation on this issue. Not an argument on the use of a word.

Mods: please either change the name of this topic to "Why Overthink It?" or lock it please. I'd love to keep it open so that discussion can be continued, but not something as pointless as this.

You're fine. I just think some people are over-thinking the terminology and having some fun with it.

To your point, competition brings out all kinds of feelings and motivations for people. Overthinking a show often happens when one is looking for a reason to NOT like it or they wish to expose some aspect of that show. For these folks, acceptance and appreciation for a show often happens when a corps is non-threatening to their favorite. Some folks will overthink the process of judging because they want clear evidence of how corps X is better than corps Y. They will dig deep into the show and the judging.

• Like 3

You're fine. I just think some people are over-thinking the terminology and having some fun with it.

To your point, competition brings out all kinds of feelings and motivations for people. Overthinking a show often happens when one is looking for a reason to NOT like it or they wish to expose some aspect of that show. For these folks, acceptance and appreciation for a show often happens when a corps is non-threatening to their favorite. Some folks will overthink the process of judging because they want clear evidence of how corps X is better than corps Y. They will dig deep into the show and the judging.

That's an interesting point. I certainly do think this is rooted in competition. From the impression I've gotten, the overthinkers make all these suggestions because they feel that this will improve a competitive aspect of that corps. The only thing is, is there actually evidence that those type of changes WOULD increase scores?

??? Clearly the malapropism wasn't my intent.

They usually aren't, no.

If you want an on-topic question (dunno how discussing the crux of your argument is off-topic, but that's fine), why do you have such an issue with people using this board as it's intended to be used? It's an outlet for opinions on drum corps, good or bad. Posts don't have to make a difference. No one has to care. All they have to do is follow the community guidelines and that's that. If you disagree with a post, you can ignore or you can debate it (with your post I'm taking the latter option). No one is under any obligation to demonstrate the relevance of their views. Now in that vein you're free to complain about people expressing views that you consider unimportant or irrelevant (which I take to mean you disagree with them but that's just supposition). And likewise I can point out why I think your complaint is ridiculous.

• Like 2

I'd hate to see this occasional criticism of other fans spill over into the sports fans world.

Edited by BRASSO