Melting in McMinnville - July 2nd 2015

Truthfully, I was wondering if I was crazy after hearing and reading all the pre-season talk, as I didn't think OC sounded particularly strong based on videos I had seen. Not at all surprised to see the Cascades that close to them.

Perhaps the judges accidentally heard "west coast deflation" this year.

• Like 2

Perhaps the judges accidentally heard "west coast deflation" this year.

This seemed to be a fairly clean read though. BK had a 72.4 from several days ago. It seems pretty consistent that they have gained a couple points from rehearsal days. Unfortunately I think OC's score is accurate.

This seemed to be a fairly clean read though. BK had a 72.4 from several days ago. It seems pretty consistent that they have gained a couple points from rehearsal days. Unfortunately I think OC's score is accurate.

It was a joke.

Just back from the show. I had to agree with the scores.

Cascades are much improved. The show concept is pretty solid and communicates well. The music book is reasonably beefy. The guard definitely makes a solid contribution to the effect. Really, a nice step up from their staff and performers. The transition from Adams and Holst to Beastie Boys is pretty jarring right now, so hopefully they sort that out.

And OC seems to have taken a couple of steps back. I was less impressed with the horns than a year ago. And it's hard to get much sense of the overall story they are trying to tell when the guard isn't in uniform yet.

OC does have the stronger show and probably will open more of a gap but I'd guess the Cascades are solidly in semis and OC is probably not destined to move up this year.

BK was a great performance. I really enjoyed their show, but I have absolutely no idea what it was about. I felt like they were leaning on the horns maybe a bit too much - I found myself wanting more focus on the percussion. The mirrors don't seem to play much of a role and they stood still for the last minute, so seems like there's some more to get on the field.

Oh, and kudos to the Columbians. I don't know how many shows they're doing this year, but that was a pretty entertaining performance from a surprisingly large group.

• Like 1

OC does have the stronger show and probably will open more of a gap but I'd guess the Cascades are solidly in semis and OC is probably not destined to move up this year.

Don't count them out yet. I think their drill is more difficult, and faster, than Cascades and will clean. I wasn't at the show, but I am quite surprised at their low score. Don't know what's up with the guard's unis but that could definitely be a factor. I heard something like 'they haven't arrived yet' or some such thing. Will be at the Renton show tonight and I can see first hand.

IN any case, OC's show is a strong one. You can bet though that they've taken notice of Cascades! Congrats to Cascades for such a huge leap this year. OC has their work cut out for them.

Edited by luv4corps

The gap between OC and cascades I feel was accurate, but I do feel the scores are way low. Last year OC scored a 66, and this group is leaps and bounds ahead of that that group, even with the guard blunders.

With that said, all 3 world class corps were incredible, and I will enjoy watching them grow through the season.

• Like 1

Well I say good job out of the gate Cascades and OC. Kuddos to Cascades for a huge step up and heart-breakingly beautiful corps uniforms. OC will clean and adjust and be right in the battle I am sure.

I think I heard BK still doesn't have a full show but scoring pretty high despite that. I saw them at Rose Bowl and they sound good. Would love to see their full offering but I guess I will have to wait until Indy or brave the fan network.