DCA Fan Network Status?

Linda -

You WILL be able to view the program at the shore, ASSUMING you can receive a wi-fi signal, either by paying a hotel for that or logging-in from some other location (residence, business, etc.) that provides a signal. Additionally, if the wi-fi signal is poor (like found in most hotels) you might not be pleased with the experience.

If all the stars align, it's a very enjoyable way to see the event. Good Luck!

Are you looking at viewing via the I-Pad, phone or laptop?`I recall seeing a friend on FB say something about DCI not working well with his device, but I don't recall who it was to ask more questions of to pinpoint the problem.

Like Liz says HDMI cable between pc and tv.

And either WiFi in the place or long tailed cable from Internet connection to where the pc needs to be.

LOL main reason we finally bought a laptop was to use the home WiFi to watch DCA without stringing a cable the whole way thru the house..

So we can get wifi at the resort. It is probably not the best, but I did use it with "OK" success in 2013. Last year I felt I needed to be in Rochester - but that's a story for another day, right? So given that, I do have access to fairly reliable wifi, and a widescreen laptop. The place is quite small, but I'd still like to consider blowing it through the TV, and / or some speakers loud enough to annoy my neighbors.

Liz, I'd ask if you wanted to come down but #1 - we wouldn't be on the beach anyway, so why get in holiday shore traffic, and #2 - I highly recommend your trying to get down the following weekend instead.

Edited by KoyaanisCABsi

I can't come down the following weekend, nor the one after that either. My September is starting to look like my August. Didn't see that one coming at all. Well, I guess this makes up for me not putting many miles on the car over the winter. :ninja:

So we can get wifi at the resort. It is probably not the best, but I did use it with "OK" success in 2013. Last year I felt I needed to be in Rochester - but that's a story for another day, right? So given that, I do have access to fairly reliable wifi, and a widescreen laptop. The place is quite small, but I'd still like to consider blowing it through the TV, and / or some speakers loud enough to annoy my neighbors.

Liz, I'd ask if you wanted to come down but #1 - we wouldn't be on the beach anyway, so why get in holiday shore traffic, and #2 - I highly recommend your trying to get down the following weekend instead.

You can get an hdmi cable cheap. You just have to be sure the TV lets you plug it in

I don't need one. Linda does, but I can also see she said she doesn't have the HDMI port for it so I guess it is a non-issue. I have a bunch in different lengths and one that worked well last year for viewing finals on the big screen.

I won't be home as of now so if I order it, it will be a last minute decision, but I will locate the cable just in case...

Edited by LegalEagle50

Hope it all works out for anyone staying in a hotel. Whatever cable is used, or port needed, will have to be available on the back of the hotel's TV. My experience has shown, hotel TVs are pretty much disabled as to what the guest can do with them. I've seen ports closed off, menus blocked, etc. Sometimes, all you can do is off/on and volume. This condition exists even at high-end hotels with new TVs.

I would plan on having to watch DCA on the laptop if staying in a hotel. Even then, a weaker internet connection could be an issue, maybe actual screen freezes, lots of buffering, etc. In some ways, this whole drum corps on TV thing is pretty young.

Try a Chromecast - we use it on our set up and it works very well.

I can't recall if we used it or not. I swear it was the laptop and HDMI to the tv last year. And we have Chromecast. DUH.....

So change in plans. I'll catch prelims on the laptop at the shore. It's not a hotel, but it is my own cottage in a resort (hence the wonky wifi). However, we have decided to come home in time for finals. Sadly, I may be married to one of the best tuba players in drum corps, but electronics... not so much. I wish one of you folks who sound like you know what you are doing lived near me. So the modem is upstairs in my office, and the only big screen TV is downstairs. To avoid using wifi, I need a really long cable of some sort so I can connect the lap top and take it downstairs. What kind of cable would that be? Next item - this HDMI cable you speak of - I go (where) and ask for (what), then do (this) with it. Can anyone fill in the blanks (in a way I don't regret this decision)? And this Chromecast you speak of... um...

Anyone live in South Jersey or near Philly?

you can get a cable at Best Buy or a similar place for like 20 bucks

$20 for a 4-6 foot cable sounds about what I spent....

Last night I remembered that some hotels we stayed we could not even get to the back of the TV. Some were in a cabinet, some were screwed on a swivel on a dresser right against the wall. Then there was that #### place in Williamsburg, VA where TV was small and in the upper corner of the room on what looked like a towel rack (OK it was early in our marriage and place was CHEAP...).

Good luck Linda....