Criticizing the "Kids"

. Some of the "kids" that are in the activity that we love so much view DCP as being a toxic wasteland.

This site has WAY more interesting dudes and dudetttes, conversation than the Cabaret Voltaire, imo.

Even if we don't dress quite as as spiffy. They should come in, pull up a chair, and tell us directly what they don't like. That is, if their staff thinks they won't get a staff infection for doing so.

Edited by BRASSO

Quite frequently on these discussion forums, someone will respond to a critical comment with an appeal to speak positively about the efforts of the young people who work so hard and show so much dedication. Even more extreme in this regard is the writing on DCI's website and Facebook page, which has all the edginess of a corporate press release. As a parent, I'm sympathetic to this sentiment. On the other hand, I'm struck by the double-standard implied by this attitude. Just turn on sports talk radio during any discussion of college basketball or football--I doubt you will every hear someone say that we shouldn't criticize a players, but instead focus on their hard work and commitment. Do we really want to suggest that "our kids" in DCI (who are, after all, the same age as NCAA athletes) are too delicate to withstand the judgmental critique we all routinely subject university athletes to? I'm not holding up the way we treat athletes as a model, because it is way to extreme and objectifying in the other direction. But I do think that someone who is talented enough and dedicated enough to join a World Class DCI corps should be ready for the fact that their performances will be viewed and assessed not only by the official judges, but by all of us. To be clear: a rude or gratuitous attack is always wrong, but in my opinion the standards for deciding what falls into that category should be the same whether the individuals are governed by the NCAA or DCI.

I think the MM's are tough enough to deal with the criticism. I don't think they should have to though. To be honest, I don't think sports radio should be as critical as they are with NCAA athletes. It's a GAME....... Sports radio is for a bunch of wannabee armchair players who want justice for their team loosing OR they want to gloat because they feel they did something to make their team win. It's becoming the same here on DCP. "Corps x has a crappy hornline", " this show is boring"..... I just feel that there is too much positive in this activity to dwell on the negatives. It's not worth it.

• Like 1

Approx 80% of the commentary on here over the course of a year is positive commentary, imo.. For folks to obsessively dwell on the remaining 20% of the posts that could fall into the realm of what we might call "criticisms " ( that rarely, if ever, is directed to " the kids " ) is pretty silly, when you think about it.

THIS.

But yeah, today’s kids, they can’t take it; especially band kids. Band kids have always been a bit soft. Corps kids use to be nails but they don’t exit any more. I blame their parents really, they’re the ones that can’t really take it and pass it off to their kids. Ever look at who is sitting around you at a show? It’s usually ‘not management material’ .

And of course DCI has to be all rainbows and puppy propaganda pretending that leaning to roll on the ground for 32 counts is a valuable life skill. Just part of the sales job plus it makes it easier to pretend that something like a syphilis outbreak on tour is the exception

• Like 1

And really, don’t we all love to see the kids crying on the finals DVD? *cue close up*

Well, I don’t , but I figure other drum corps fans feed off children’s tears because we see so many shots of them on the DVD.

And of course DCI has to be all rainbows and puppy propaganda pretending that leaning to roll on the ground for 32 counts is a valuable life skill. Just part of the sales job plus it makes it easier to pretend that something like a syphilis outbreak on tour is the exception

Without having to pick up the puppy poop?

Hey we're housebreaking one, right now puppys and "poop" go together.

And if DCP is "bad" then RAMD must have been Galactus/Gorilla Grodd (pick which publisher you like) on steroids...

Without having to pick up the puppy poop?

Hey we're housebreaking one, right now puppys and "poop" go together.

And if DCP is "bad" then RAMD must have been Galactus/Gorilla Grodd (pick which publisher you like) on steroids...

Wasn't RAMD closer to "Creature From The Haunted Sea?"

Not even the Mothra Twins could summon help for RAMD.

Edited by Lincoln

Wasn't RAMD closer to "It Came From The Haunted Sea?"

Not even the Mothra Twins could summon help for RAMD.

LOL not bad if you turn the sound off when they sing....

More like "They Came From Outer Space" with the off Forum posters (OK I forget the techie term for it). I left when clods who didn't know what drum corps was come on and started throwing obscene postings at everyone. Supposedly one of the RAMD people picked fights on other forums and the crap he stirred up followed him to RAMD.

Then there was the poster who apparently had "issues" which didn't bug me too much as have seen it in real life with people I knew. But one of the posters there (and on here too) would try to rile her up when things got quiet. Lost all respect for him and his corps (he was management) from that.

Edited by JimF-LowBari