SECAUCUS SHOW - CANCELLED

I suspect the corps involved were told why when it was cancelled. I'm with you on folks that pre-purchased tickets (that's a whole different topic, in all likelihood). But why does Joe Average Fan deserve an answer, as 2B asserted in All Caps, No Less?

No, I do not agree. I think we Deserve an Official Answer from DCA.

As to the taking over of the thread. The people that went off-subject can go to New threads about the things they are talking about. I mean no harm to them.

While "deserve" may be going too far, it certainly would be good customer service for an explanation to be provided. But since DCA is primarily (totally?) run by volunteers, these things take time. They may be trying to get to the bottom of whatever reason Kiwanis provided.

I completely disagree With Your second assertion. This is A discussion Forum. The Initial subject Is a starting Point For conversation, That's all. In Real life, When the subject of a conversation Changes, do you demand That the speaker return To the original Topic?

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Then why don't you just ask the show sponsor directly ... what do you hope to accomplish on DCP?

I was supposed to announce and got a TXT that the show was cancelled ... that was before 11:00am ... I had asked around 9:30 that morning because the forecast was for severe storms in the area from 5:00-9:00pm+... same for CT where I live ... so ... a decision was made to cancel (and not in a vacuum) ... plain and simple ... the forecast was dire ... we were all looking at the same radar stuff and it was not pretty ... and that's all there was to go on ... so ... you might not accept the reason ... but that's what it was ... the dire forecast ...

:-)

I don't personally deserve an answer (although I'd like to have one for the reason I previously expressed: historical record).

I would think that any spectators who pre-purchased event tickets would at least be entitled to know if they're getting their money back, if not the actual reason the show was canceled. Hopefully none of those folks were in transit to Secaucus before the word got out (or drove to Secaucus before finding out).

Likewise, I'd think that participating corps would want to know if/how their expenses to move equipment and performers to Secaucus would be reimbursed to them.

While "deserve" may be going too far, it certainly would be good customer service for an explanation to be provided. But since DCA is primarily (totally?) run by volunteers, these things take time. They may be trying to get to the bottom of whatever reason Kiwanis provided.

I completely disagree With Your second assertion. This is A discussion Forum. The Initial subject Is a starting Point For conversation, That's all. In Real life, When the subject of a conversation Changes, do you demand That the speaker return To the original Topic?

Well, disagree all you want. It just seems to me like there's a wee bit of entitlement by folks that weren't involved either way, especially when you bandy about words like "deserve".

When I was told the show was bagged, my response was something along the lines of, "Sweet, more rehearsal time". I didn't ask why, nor did anyone offer that info. I do know that I was told at about 10am. No one likes to lose a show, especially in DCA. Thankfully, there's a show this coming weekend that's only a few miles from Secaucus, and there's a second Clifton show in a few weeks.

Has anyone actually contacted the Kiwanis Club?

Edited by Kamarag

Then why don't you just ask the show sponsor directly ... what do you hope to accomplish on DCP?

I was supposed to announce and got a TXT that the show was cancelled ... that was before 11:00am ... I had asked around 9:30 that morning because the forecast was for severe storms in the area from 5:00-9:00pm+... same for CT where I live ... so ... a decision was made to cancel (and not in a vacuum) ... plain and simple ... the forecast was dire ... we were all looking at the same radar stuff and it was not pretty ... and that's all there was to go on ... so ... you might not accept the reason ... but that's what it was ... the dire forecast ...

:-)

No, I totally accept that reason, if that's the reason. It's just that the official announcement from DCA was:

THE SECAUCUS KIWANIS CLUB HAS CANCELLED TONIGHT’S CONTEST IN SECAUCUS NJ.

http://dcacorps.org/?p=4075

Which is notable for being very brief and in all-caps, for seeming to indicate that the Kiwanis Club made the call rather than DCA, for not giving a reason for the cancellation, and for making the call very early in the day (which normally would indicate that the reason was NOT weather, since a lot of money is tied up in contests, so most contests wait to see what the weather actually is before making the call).

There just wasn't enough communication here! It left an air of mystery about it. (And I don't know how to track down anyone in the Secaucus Kiwanis Club, although I suppose I might find that information somewhere.)

But of course if the weather forecast was the reason, I would accept that.

Edited by Corps Scores
  • Like 1

Well, disagree all you want. It just seems to me like there's a wee bit of entitlement by folks that weren't involved either way, especially when you bandy about words like "deserve".

I think you may have misread my post.

I think you may have misread my post . . . because I was "disagreeing" with 2B about the thread going off-topic, something which annoyed him but didn't bother me in the least.

I think you may have misread my post . . . because I was "disagreeing" with 2B about the thread going off-topic, something which annoyed him but didn't bother me in the least.

Oh, right on. I agree with you there too. Every thread on DCP goes off-topic if given enough time...

I'm probably the one to blame for that. I don't visit DCP that often, and I didn't want to keep checking back daily to see if DCA had provided additional information about what happened.

So I had clicked on the "Follow This Topic" button up there, which sends me emails every time someone posts to the thread.

In my original post requesting that the thread be shut down, I also was a bit snappy about the fact that I was getting tons of emails about the beers of Eastern PA and no answer to "the mystery". 2B wasn't the original annoyed party; I was. ("BigW" communicated that he didn't like my tone, so I erased that part of my post.)