What makes a show "BOA style" or "bando"?

I knew someone would bring that up. Really? "New York, New York" and ESOM are about 9/11? No.

Madison Scouts certainly thought their show was about 9/11.

Their performance of "Empire State of Mind" isn't on the DVD because State Farm had the same idea as them: this would be a good song to commemorate 9/11.

Scouts' drill starts with the guard reading newspapers with Sep. 11, 2011 headlines in the morning, then features drill that suggests collapsing buildings and chaos, with sirens and what not, after which they play a piece titled "Requiem" before wrapping with ESoM.

How is that show not about 9/11?

• Like 7

Every Marching Band in the SEC (Except for Texas A+M and maybe Tennessee) are "Old School" Corps Style.

These SEC schools are no doubt familiar with the newer, progressive, DCI types of Marching Bands of this era.. music, guard, uniforms, etc... and they have decided that their style of College Marching Bands works for them just fine and they don't need,nor want that current DCI style of Marching, Music, Guard, etc. The maintenance of time honored styles of Marching, and Bands, is not confined to the SEC either. There are lots of schools, in other Conferences ( as I'm sure you and others are aware ) some of them with large Bands too, that likewise do not want their Marching Bands styles toyed with.... and a lot of these traditional Marching Bands have not changed much at all in half a century, or longer. They don't seem to be dying out to me either. Most of them still seem to be doing well for themselves... and the public on the whole in their states and at their schools seems to like them just as they are. Some of these Marching Bands have played songs that have not changed in arrangements for half a century too in some cases too. But even the newer generation of students and non students alike, that were not yet born when these College Marching Bands first played these Marching songs, still get up and cheer when the Marching Band plays the same songs each and every year.... DCI just decided to go in a different direction with their particular style of Marching Band... and vive la Difference !

Edited by BRASSO

Some of these college marching bands have played songs that have not changed in arrangements for half a century too, in some cases. But even the newer generation of students and non-students alike, who were not yet born when these bands first played these marching songs, still get up and cheer when the marching band plays the same songs each and every year.

This is the second time you've cited an approximate figure of 50 years for some college marching bands to have maintained certain traditions. So what happened fifty years ago? Were there "dinosaurs" in the 1950s-60s complaining about how their college's marching band was no longer playing the traditional songs? If they were, would you say they were right or wrong to complain? How long had the earlier traditions last? is it approximately a 50-year cycle? Should we expect to see Ohio State and these other bands you describe changing their tunes soon? If it was right for them to switch to the new-fangled material then, is it right for them to switch again now?

And were corps repertoires and styles like and unlike those of marching bands in, say, 1950? What songs were corps playing that no band would play in halftime and vice versa? Or were they playing the same music (apart from specific school fight songs) but doing it in totally different ways? Isn't "Conquest" an official song of both the Boston Crusaders and the USC marching band--having been given by the composer, Alfred Newman, to the school? Wasn't the "marching band" label a much stronger insult in drum corps then than it is today? How could BAC stand to be using a marching band's theme song? Doesn't that make "Conquest" the epitome of "bando" in drum corps?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

This is the second time you've cited an approximate figure of 50 years for some college marching bands to have maintained certain traditions. So what happened fifty years ago? Were there "dinosaurs" in the 1950s-60s complaining about how their college's marching band was no longer playing the traditional songs? If they were, would you say they were right or wrong to complain? How long had the earlier traditions last? is it approximately a 50-year cycle? Should we expect to see Ohio State and these other bands you describe changing their tunes soon? If it was right for them to switch to the new-fangled material then, is it right for them to switch again now?

And were corps repertoires and styles like and unlike those of marching bands in, say, 1950? What songs were corps playing that no band would play in halftime and vice versa? Or were they playing the same music (apart from specific school fight songs) but doing it in totally different ways? Isn't "Conquest" an official song of both the Boston Crusaders and the USC marching band--having been given by the composer, Alfred Newman, to the school? Wasn't the "marching band" label a much stronger insult in drum corps then than it is today? How could BAC stand to be using a marching band's theme song? Doesn't that make "Conquest" the epitome of "bando" in drum corps?

You just might have set a record here on DCP, by asking a poster 14 questions in 2 paragrahs ( lol!). Holy Mackeral, how about one or two questions for me at a time ? You used up a year's allotment for me in these 2 paragraphs.

This is the second time you've cited an approximate figure of 50 years for some college marching bands to have maintained certain traditions. So what happened fifty years ago? Were there "dinosaurs" in the 1950s-60s complaining about how their college's marching band was no longer playing the traditional songs? If they were, would you say they were right or wrong to complain?

Methinks you are over thinking this too much. I believe these particular Marching Bands like their style, saw it working for them, and decided there was no need to try and fix what was not broken. I don't think its any more complicated than that.

I've been following drum corps since 1975 so I've seen many of the changes as they have occurred. As far back as I remember, many corps who were innovating were considered "bands" or at least not drum corps. What I find today is that comparing drum corps to a band is for some an insult and or others a great compliment. Often when you marched plays a role.

It seems that if innovations that are not well received, some are quick to blame what they perceive to be the overly strong influence of BOA and WGI. Those who like the innovations often credit BOA or WGI. Where so many designers and instructors are involved in at least two if not all three groups, I'm not sure we can say with any certainty which influences the other.

And were corps repertoires and styles like and unlike those of marching bands in, say, 1950?

I wasn't around then to know. But I'm told even within the Drum & Bugle Corps realm at this time of 1950 there was diversity of styles... same as within the College Marching Bands of 1950, from what little I've seen of them on old tapes on a few occasions.

Edited by BRASSO

What songs were corps playing that no band would play in halftime and vice versa?

None to my knowledge... and the relevancy, and where you are going with this, is what again ?

Isn't "Conquest" an official song of both the Boston Crusaders and the USC marching band--having been given by the composer, Alfred Newman, to the school?

it depends on who you talk to. Some old timers afiliated with BAC will tell us that " El Capitan ", not " Conquest" is the official song of the Boston Crusaders. ( newer BAC vets... " Conquest " ) I 'm not sure if Composer Newman gave USC the song " Conquest", but if you tell me thats the case, I'll accept your word on it. ( Madison, played both these songs.. others did too over the years... different versions... its all cool )

Edited by BRASSO