Show Meanings

The kids executed the heck out of that show and they were miraculous. (I've learned to always start with a cheerleader comment to appease the soccer moms.)

The show has to mean something, otherwise the kids appear insane, which they did-- constantly leaning to one side for absolutely no purpose other than maybe their bus had two flat tires. (Actually that would have added meaning.) The show lacked depth of concept and lost as a result. It didn't make sense. Why is everything tilted, and what in God's name are these insane people doing, and how is the corps marketing the meaning of this show? Videotapes of Tilt can be used in Psych classes as examples of Stockholm syndrome-- people conditioned to conform in order to avoid punishment.

Tilt made no clear commentary on society, the composer, humanity, philosophy, human behavior, the arts, culture, interpersonal relations, science, commerce, technology, the nature of life, or how sewer covers are designed and forged. There was no "there" there. It meant nothing. Tilt was an unclear metaphor with no real-world relatability. People performing the hell out of this show appeared insane-- they were moving frantically and passionately for absolutely no reason, like robotic vacuum cleaners randomly cleaning the floor. What did it mean? No one in the audience knew. It would have made sense if the marching members had cleaning rags attached to their feet, but alas they didn't. It seems like the design staff refused to apply significance to the word Tilt. After all, it would have been easy to formally link the motif "tilt" to something real world that, if added to their marketing plan for the show, would have made a powerful artistic statement, but I'm not going to reveal what that idea is. The point is BlueCoats had to work really really hard not to build meaning to this frivolous show, and they succeeded. It was completely without metaphorical content, without humanity and it lost as a result. You can tell the show lost because the audience had that "huh?" look until the pitch bend at the end, which was a clutter-cutting device which made everyone wake up and scream, but ended up being as meaningless and without context as everything that preceded it. Same with as Kinetic Noise. "Huh?" Look at these people watching Tilt's final run-throughs at 7:26. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YztUZ0Cf9ZU

Bloo's To look for America was brilliant, however. One of the most brilliantly conceived drum corps shows of all time, albeit with a flawed ending.

I actually think there was a deeper meaning to Tilt. If you're eschewing it simply because it's not as obvious as other shows, then that's your prerogative.

And if BD beating Bloo last year is proof of the "depth of concept = win" theory, then what does that say about Bloo beating Cadets or Crown?

So you're saying that this show that eschewed your brilliant rubric of sociopolitical arguments

NB: Not "sociopolitical arguments". Thematic arguments. Here are some examples so you can learn what they are:

• 1987 Cadets' Appalachian Spring: Copland's Spring has a life of its own: the thaw, the reawakening, the renaissance and the denouement into Summer.
  • 1992 Velvet Knights' Magical Mystery Tour: Lampooning American cultural icons reveals how dependent we are on them.
  • 2011 Phantom Regiment' Juliet: A new look at the star-crossed lover reveals a powerful, independent woman who takes control of her life and ends it.

Films, plays, and operas, literature, and some good dance concerts have thematic arguments, too.

Edited by Channel3

I assume someone mentioned Bluecoats 2014 as a brilliant example of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). Their show meaning was "stand at/hold instruments & props at an angle."

This simple theme plus INCREDIBLE performance from the members propelled the corps to their highest placement ever and is proof that maximizing one's show concept + maximizing performance captions = success: not necessarily some crazy deep show meaning

They could have won had they added one element of meaning. They lost because of their lack of depth of concept. At the top tier, it's got nothing to do with performance, because the talent and execution is nearly equal among the top corps. Between first and fourth, it's all about the depth of concept. That's why they took second.

They could have won had they added one element of meaning. They lost because of their lack of depth of concept. At the top tier, it's got nothing to do with performance, because the talent and execution is nearly equal among the top corps. Between first and fourth, it's all about the depth of concept. That's why they took second.

Oh, I get it. You're delusional.

• Like 1

Harvard Band show design is thoughtful and relevant to the thing most on the minds of students today:

http://www.boston.com/life/2015/11/17/harvard-band-gives-unwanted-anatomy-lesson-claims-wan-purpose/jMWlQ4pFZagdMlLkEPD46H/story.html?p1=story_hp#comments

However, major design flaw is that U Penn has 2 consonants called n; official govt. abbreviation is PA.

Obviously this fails the Channel 3 trolling ideologue standard and is relegated to the penalties previously incurred by Yale, Princeton, and Stanford.

For someone accused of being a troll, Channel3 certainly takes a lot of time and effort to explain himself.

I don't often agree with what he says, but I think he spends a lot of time stating his case.

While I do respect Channel3's dedication to his theories, I still think he's completely off-base.

Harvard Band show design is thoughtful and relevant to the thing most on the minds of students today:

http://www.boston.com/life/2015/11/17/harvard-band-gives-unwanted-anatomy-lesson-claims-wan-purpose/jMWlQ4pFZagdMlLkEPD46H/story.html?p1=story_hp#comments

The controversy could've been avoided had the Harvard U Band spelled out " Pennsylvania ", but alas they didn't have enough marchers to make all those many letters.

Edited by BRASSO