Show Meanings

Over in the Cadets thread, it was discussed whether they needed to add more meaning to their show.

In order for a show to be successful, does it have to have a lot of meaning and context, with an oerall teme and story/message? Or can a show that isn't very deep or meaningful thrive based on the performance of the corps alone?

I, for the life of me, cannot figure out the theme of Cavaliers show. I get sports. What's with the platforms? Are they wrestling mats? Is there a story? I don't get it. Last year was simple in your face...this year is out there. Am I over thinking this?

For my taste, it doesn't have to have a deep storyline. Half of the "deep" shows out there don't make sense to me any way unless I've read something about it. I want to be entertained with great music, awesome drill, and great color guard work. I don't care if it comes with a deep message or not.

• Like 6

I, for the life of me, cannot figure out the theme of Cavaliers show. I get sports. What's with the platforms? Are they wrestling mats? Is there a story? I don't get it. Last year was simple in your face...this year is out there. Am I over thinking this?

Yes.

I don't care if it comes with a deep massage or not.

Comes with a what now?

Edited by THeShadeOfNight
  • Like 1

For my taste, it doesn't have to have a deep storyline. Half of the "deep" shows out there don't make sense to me any way unless I've read something about it. I want to be entertained with great music, awesome drill, and great color guard work. I don't care if it comes with a deep message or not.

I'm with you! Too much 'theme' gets in the way IMO. I would rather enjoy the skilled execution of a fantastic design than try to figure out what the heck it all means.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 3

Yes, and that's why BD constantly wins (aside from their high overall caption scores every year).

Cabaret Voltaire was the study of the DaDa movement and contemporary music, Felliniesque was the world of Fellini (and was unfathomably deep)

Edit: (added more on after I kept thinking)

Now shows don't HAVE to have direct themes, but it sure helps. For my taste, I like the themes. But I'm not everyone, now, am I (I should be though, imagine a perfect world)

Edited by Southern Blue Devil
  • Like 3

I couldn't care less if a show has a theme as long as it is entertaining and performed well.

• Like 8

I'm OK with themes. Corps are more successful communicating to me when they keep them simple. (Hmm, what does that say about my intellect? ;)

Stories are another matter. I feel like corps are frequently waaaaay overoptimistic about what parts of their story translate to an audience member. You've got so many more moving parts being layered on top of playing & moving...You've got to establish a setting of some kind, you've got characters, you've got characters DOING things, you probably have them encountering some sort of obstacle, challenge, or conflict, you've got some kind of resolution, AND you're still likely trying to communicate some sort of theme from all this, too. Some things do this well (or at least good ones do...Plays, dance performances of some kinds, written works, movies...A drum corps trying to succeed at all that while also checking off the various figurative boxes that make up a successful drum corps performance is a very, very demanding use of the tools corps have to work with. I'm not saying they never pull if off, but I think they drop the ball on one part or another more often then not.

• Like 1