Darn Good Drum Corps in Dublin - official thread

More random thoughts …

The “carnival barker” narration in Blue Star’s show really adds to the production. And that flugelhorn soloist in the palm reading section is gold! She does another great job in the trumpet duet a little later on. I love the addition of the tight rope walker sideshow! Very clever, but I wonder if the effect would have been bigger if the “tight rope” was parallel to the front sideline instead of vertical? I like the costuming of the guard as they enter the carnival … the earth tone period costumes effectively evokes the idea of depression era commoners looking for a little entertainment to brighten their dreary day to day existence. It was nice to see the rifle toss over the carried guard member who takes the place of the couch from last year’s show. A very clever wink and a nod.

Crossmen: I enjoy the show a lot, but I would love to see less time devoted to paper airplanes and more to butterflies. But that’s just me.

Colts: Wouldn’t it be brilliant if instead of Johnny Staccato, they had Nick Danger? I know that Staccato is a musical reference, but still… For those of you who caught the reference, another bit of trivia – in Firesign Theatre’s Peorgie Tirebiter bit, SCV’s drum line made a cameo appearance in the pep rally sequence.

Troopers: I love the horn line … but are they being held back a bit?

And just a quick observation on Crossmen, Colts and Troopers--might as well throw in Boston, even though they weren’t at the show. Am I the only one who thinks it is interesting that all these corps fighting for the last spots for finals rely on live singers while none of the top four do (I haven’t seen SCV yet, so I can’t comment on their use of a singer)?

Random thoughts:

I haven’t posted on DCP since early July since I haven’t seen any shows live since that time. One thing I think is clear: for some shows , this year more than in the past, you just have to see live and in person (e.g. Bluecoats), and for that reason I have been quiet on the boards. That, and I don’t really enjoy huddling over my desktop squinting at DCI Live!

But …

Wow! What a show! There are years I admire, respect and am in awe of Blue Devils. Some years, like last year, I even enjoy them. This year, I admire, respect and am in awe of Blue Devils … and I really like the show! That guard is simply amazing! I am not a guard person by any measure. When I marched, I was a horn player, so I tend to focus on the horn line and drill (or body movements) of the corps proper. But with Blue Devils, I simply could not take my eyes off of the guard. OK, every once and a while, I would check out the drill, and there were some very interesting and innovative progressions, but still … that guard! I love how they keep those sabers in the air for what seems like hours for each toss. And the height of those tosses! If this was last year, Major Tom could have snatched some of those sabers when he was in low earth orbit! I remember back in the day when tossing 7s or 8s was a big deal and those tosses were reserved for big impact moments. I swear BD was tossing 10s and 12s all the freaking time! It was like good old-school guard on steroids! That rifle exchange from the step ladders to the field and back was just brilliant! And I loved how those guard members emerged from the pages of the books at the start of the show. Yes, BD is sometimes poo-pooed for staging their technical horn runs in such a way that the eye is drawn away from the parked brass, and that is true this year … until the last minute of the show which is pure run and gun. I loved it! Great show, BD!

And then there is Bluecoats. I love this show! A lot of cyber-ink has been spilled describing the innovations of this show so I will cut right to the chase. The new ending is spectacular! From the frenetic movement around the orbs like electrons around a nucleus , to the new and improved horn push, to the levitating of the horn player on the central orb at the end is a huge improvement over the early season version. By the way, a bit of trivia: the horn player featured on top of the orb at the end of the show is the same horn player who leaped off the ramp at the end of last year’s show. Now all that Coats have to do is have the guard run with that orb off a ramp with the horn player, and land in the assembled tuba section to really kick the GE into high gear.

As a WGI fan, 10s or 12s seem like a stretch to me. I'll look closer the next time. I'm distracted by the very long hair from BD guard. Same as last year. I did not understand their show concept at all. Only realized what some of it meant after reading on this forum. Loved Bluecoats though (guard and everything else), and thought Blue Stars guard was great too. Colts guard was in good shape I thought and would be even better if a few of their flag bits were more solidly in unison, but Troopers....not a fan of their guard/visual thing. Personal preference probably, but just not my thing.

The thing with the Bluecoats is, I can't tell if they're brass is giving all that sound, or if it's a mix of electronic stuff and brass. I guess getting it mixed that well is the point (to the point you're not sure), but I'd like to know it's them and not a speaker too. Otherwise, wow, cool show.

<snip>

And just a quick observation on Crossmen, Colts and Troopers--might as well throw in Boston, even though they weren’t at the show. Am I the only one who thinks it is interesting that all these corps fighting for the last spots for finals rely on live singers while none of the top four do (I haven’t seen SCV yet, so I can’t comment on their use of a singer)?

I will second this, and add that I found these same three were ESPECIALLY heavy on the synth bass. I think it was Crossmen who were the worst, but all three were WAY overdone, IMO.

Edited by garfield

As a WGI fan, 10s or 12s seem like a stretch to me. I'll look closer the next time.

I could be totally wrong, but I thought they were 10s at least. Then again, I am just a horn guy who lives in a world of hyperbole, so I will defer to your more nuanced eye ... and ability to count.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

I don't mind some of the singing, but Lay Me Down (Colts, sung by Sam Smith out there is the pop world), IMO, would be much more effective ballad without the singing or at least with less of it. The song is fantastic and a big hit with the younger crowd, so why not really take the opportunity to the max? You know, as in, give me chills Colts brass! It has the potential to do that.

I will second this, and add that I found these same three were ESPECIALLY heavy on the synth bass. I think it was Crossmen who were the worst, but all three were WAY overdone, IMO.

I am totally with you. Why bother having 16 tubas, more or less, and then put the sledge hammer down on the synth? The tuba sound is so much more pure.

I don't mind some of the singing, but Lay Me Down (Colts, sung by Sam Smith out there is the pop world), IMO, would be much more effective ballad without the singing or at least with less of it. The song is fantastic and a big hit with the younger crowd, so why not really take the opportunity to the max? You know, as in, give me chills Colts brass! It has the potential to do that.

I agree ... some singing can be good, but sometimes, more is less, and less is more.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

One last random thought ...

With the quality of drum corps this season, especially at the top, please DCI, figure out the licensing issues. This season has to be relived on DVDs and BluRay. (I can't remember the last time that I loved every one of the top five. (True, I haven't seen SCV yet, but I have loved what they have done the past couple of years, so I have little doubt I will love them this year.)

• Like 1

I could be totally wrong, but I thought they were 10s at least. Then again, I am just a horn guy who lives in a world of hyperbole, so I will defer to your more nuanced eye ... and ability to count.

They are 5s,6s and maybe a 7 - definitely not more than that. No one throws higher than that outside (well maybe the odd soloist tries to!)

Edited by DCI-86

With the quality of drum corps this season, especially at the top, please DCI, figure out the licensing issues. This season has to be relived on DVDs and BluRay.

I'm sure they're trying very hard to figure out those issues. They surely don't like losing 40% of their online streaming/download income, which is what was rumored to be the cost of not having the Fan Network this summer. The question might be: how much of an increase in DVD price will drum corps fans tolerate, in order to satisfy the licensing demands from Tresona?