Electronics 2015 - Good and Bad

the fracked note gets looped….key to that problem is, don't frack a note

:satisfied:

I figured they would have some kind of fail safe "if they screw it up don't loop it" thing going on. I'm sure it would sound allot better that way versus sour notes on repeat. Either way it's ballsy and creates an awesome effect.

. Corps is all about people playing instruments, Not about what kind of technology and sampling you can use.

This is no longer the case however.

It most certainly IS about what kind of artificial, adult created, technology the adults will take with them ( via sound ) onto the field of judged competition with their young colleagues alongside them in their Corps. Some of the artificial sound is created by the performer, but of course we all can hear the many sounds that are being judged in the field competition and are clearly the work of adults,... not the work of the youthful performers in competition.

Edited by BRASSO

This is no longer the case however.

It most certainly IS about what kind of artificial adult created, technology the adults will take with them ( via sound ) onto the field of judged competition with their young colleagues alongside them in their Corps.

I understand your gripe with electronics, but seriously when has drum corps not been a product of adult creation?

• Like 2

I understand your gripe with electronics, but seriously when has drum corps not been a product of adult creation?

I am not against " electronics ". As a matter of fact I am on record as saying that the use of a mic'd amplification of a solo seems an appropriate use of " electronics ", imo. Thats because we are really just amplifying the genuine sound coming from the performer's instrumentation. So this " change " seems ok to me.

But the use of adult created artificial technologies that are introduced into the judged field competition is a first. No longer are adults confined to off the field teaching, and off the field creations. Their very adult created technological, artificial sound is now on the field of DCI judged competition itself. The notion that we have always had this level of direct impact by adult creations ON THE FIELD of judged competition is a fallacy, ie an inaccurate historical assessment, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Now I get it. Thanks for breaking it down for me.

No problem.

There's no difference between what the Bluecoats are doing this year and, for example, a Cirque du Soleil production, where the electronic effects are painstakingly crafted, yet also dependent on the performers to execute and blend with their acoustic sounds. If a trumpet messes up a lick that should get looped, then the mistake gets looped. That's live theater. The corps members are playing at an incredibly high level; the staff is giving them a platform to elevate their performance to a professional quality production, beyond what some might consider the idiom of "drum and bugle corps" but nowhere close to outside the realm of musical theatrics. I am a huge fan of everything the Bluecoats are doing this year.

• Like 2

* Recorded/sampled speech and singing almost never adds to a show, IMO. The PR speech samples this year seem particularly out of place and poorly integrated. I much prefer the corps members do the narration or singing (kudos to the Cavs singer this year who's a great showman) and be judged on their achievement. The Mandarins show in 2013 is a notable exception for me, but I'd like to hear when you think a recorded voice sample was better than if a corps member had been doing the singing or speaking. (I'm also curious about the legality of using sampled singing, which is clearly against the 2009 electronics rules, and I've never heard of any updates to those rules.)

In total contrast to Cappybara, I am invariably opposed to sampled speech and song (including Mandarins 2013) because I want all performance to be created through the effort of the performers. We'd never settle for a corps using a prerecorded trumpet solo by Al Chez, so why is it OK to do the same thing with voice?

• Like 5

In total contrast to Cappybara, I am invariably opposed to sampled speech and song (including Mandarins 2013) because I want all performance to be created through the effort of the performers. We'd never settle for a corps using a prerecorded trumpet solo by Al Chez, so why is it OK to do the same thing with voice?

So that we can avoid something like Cadets 07 :tounge2:

• Like 1