WGI has shows on-demand for free; can DCI do the same?

27 members have voted

1. 1. Good or Bad Idea? DCI offers on-demand content similar to WGI (Free)

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea
    • Don't Know
  2. 2. Would you donate separately to DCI/Corps if they were to offer free content on-demand?

• Yes, I would donate more than the general cost of FanNetwork/DVDs
    • Yes, but only less than or equal to the amount they charged for FN/DVDs
    • No, I would not donate.

With all the copyright stuff going on, I've been impressed with the product that WGI has put out, which is free on-demand content of the shows! Not too familiar, if at all, with copyright laws and what not so hopefully I can get an explanation here.

For anyone well-versed in copyright law, would offering shows on-demand for free be a good workaround the copyright law since no direct profit/monetizing would come from the on-demand content?

And let's say it's a good workaround--would it be a good idea for DCI or would copyright holders simply be more weary of allowing corps to use their music? Would you donate on a separate basis?

• Like 1

That's too big a source of revenue to just ignore.

And I'm a little offended that a fan would be on here suggesting we all get free stuff. Perhaps you'd like tax dollars to start funding it? No thanks.

If we fans can't fund DCI ourselves, then DCI should fold and we should all hang our heads in shame over it.

The only problem is the amount of shows that would be silenced because of copyrights.

Not necessarily. Wgi percussion hasn't seen much of an issue with this. They post on YouTube for "educational purposes" as a way to get the media to their fans and circumventing the synch rights because they are not profiting from them.

Not necessarily. Wgi percussion hasn't seen much of an issue with this. They post on YouTube for "educational purposes" as a way to get the media to their fans and circumventing the synch rights because they are not profiting from them.

Not entirely accurate. They posted and now are doing some clean-up. Looks like the copyright claims are starting to roll in. This show for example was not a problem for a few weeks. Now ... silent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de0_7ZrMbxI

Not entirely accurate. They posted and now are doing some clean-up. Looks like the copyright claims are starting to roll in. This show for example was not a problem for a few weeks. Now ... silent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de0_7ZrMbxI

But they haven't gotten around to scrubbing the high cam yet. LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2--2MpldiwY

Edited by mingusmonk

The only one I had seen without sound was Ayala HS but I haven't been out there in recent weeks. It's certainly becoming an ugly battle between Tresona and WGI, BOA, and DCI. I'm sure WGI did what they did with legal consultation before going the free route so there is some merit to it. The question begs to be asked who filed the claims if only a couple of groups videos have been impacted. I would like to think Tresona owns the rights to more than what has been silenced so far.

There are different rights involved, and different laws. I could easily be wrong on the specifics, but as I see it:

I believe canned audio clips come under master rights, which have legally mandated fees which are reasonable and predictable. No negotiation required, either.

For groups that play music on their own instruments (drum corps, marching band, soundsport, WGI percussion, etc.), a bunch of other rights are involved, including sync rights which must be negotiated and are sometimes expensive, complicated or just unavailable.

Still, some works should be possible to put out there for free. Promotion means giving away some stuff, at least several full shows IMO. Shows like Scheherazade should be free to put out there, for example, and many others should be inexpensive. DCI is penny wise and pound foolish. If watching a few free performances on youtube satisfies a person's entire thirst for drum corps, then they probably weren't going to buy in as a fan anyway.

Pro football would never have become popular if you had to pay-per-view every single game. You have to have some free stuff for all those DCI ambassadors to link to on reddit.

The only one I had seen without sound was Ayala HS but I haven't been out there in recent weeks. It's certainly becoming an ugly battle between Tresona and WGI, BOA, and DCI. I'm sure WGI did what they did with legal consultation before going the free route so there is some merit to it. The question begs to be asked who filed the claims if only a couple of groups videos have been impacted. I would like to think Tresona owns the rights to more than what has been silenced so far.

The Avon show is littered with Pure Imagination (from Willy Wonka) which BMI reports as published by Taradam Music. But often BMI, ASCAP, etc just point to where to start your quest, lol.

That's too big a source of revenue to just ignore.

And I'm a little offended that a fan would be on here suggesting we all get free stuff. Perhaps you'd like tax dollars to start funding it? No thanks.

If we fans can't fund DCI ourselves, then DCI should fold and we should all hang our heads in shame over it.

Almost all of DCI's budget comes from ticket sales. All media put together adds up to less than 10% IIRC. So if they gave away lots of stuff and promoted it (through corps members at least) they could likely sustain more contests (which have decreased from 140-ish to 105-ish in the last ten years) and thus make far more money, not less.

Merchants who need to make a certain margin on every item went bankrupt long ago. Those who shrewdly identify where to take a loss are the ones that succeed. Just my opinion.

Still, I would agree it's not necessary to give away the whole archive.

• Like 1