Phantom Regiment 2016

I can agree with this. I'm "content" with what Regiment is presenting this year, but I know that it can and should be better. Not to say I don't enjoy this year's production, but looking at what SCV can do, there's no reason Phantom shouldnt be able to do the same.

On the subject of that, I don't think Crown is a very good comparison (and I'm glad you pointed that out). Crown's style does not mesh with Regiment's or SCV's at all. Their arrangements don't have any of the classiness and elegance that PR's used to have (or still sorta has) and that SCV definitely has.

Edit: just to add, nothing against Crown's arrangements. Klesch is one of the best in the business, but it's a different style than what's being described here

Not classy or elegant? What?!?

I'd say most won't find this flame-worthy, and I know I don't. I think there's a way to balance classical repertoire and modern drum corps - I believe Crown has been able to do this very effectively, but a more relatable example is SCV. I don't expect a medal, but I also don't expect 10th (again, who knows where they wind up, but it's possible).

But I just don't find "it's about the music" a valid excuse anymore. It's a fine excuse if the corps was finishing among the top in music, but frankly they aren't. Other groups are balancing the elements effectively, and Regiment must as well.

Totally agree. The "it's about the music" argument doesn't stack up because PR is average in their music nowadays.

• Like 1

Not classy or elegant? What?!?

Crown is a different genre. I would not consider them to be in the same genre as SCV and PR, no matter how much classical music they play. Just my opinion

• Like 2

There is but another facet to understanding PR's show this year which seems to me how it represents so much of the history of PR during it's 60 years. Classical music, music from the wars that occurred during those 60 years, singable melodies, accessible pieces; the list could go on. This year's MMs have had some great anniversary experiences on tour whether one considers the doings in Rockford, the response of that community and alums, the presentation of recognition by other corps (Boston comes to mind,) Perhaps not as "modern" as the WGI (which PR helped form) set would like. Still it is a show that unites the decades.

Can you give some examples in the show representing the history? The final wedge is a good example. And the Rockford file. I see that one. What are some others to watch for. Thanks.

• Like 1

Also if we're acknowledging the history of the corps where is Spartacus? I know it's recent but it's their most iconic. Don't stab the drum major or anything. But just something from that show.

• Like 1

Can you give some examples in the show representing the history? The final wedge is a good example. And the Rockford file. I see that one. What are some others to watch for. Thanks.

I do not understand it as a literal match but rather representative.

For instance, the beautiful ballad I'm Dreaming of Home (whether in the English or the French versions) is, of course, from a movie about war which occurred prior to PR's founding as Rockford Rangers in 1956. But those wars spoke about being The Great War, the War to end all Wars, World Wars. Yet more war has happened. The same emotions and longing in the midst of battle and the destruction humanity heaps upon humanity came to exist in the Korean Conflict, the Viet Nam War, Desert Storm, the Iraq conflict, the Mid-East Conflict, and present day Afghanistan/ISIS, all struggles to which Phantom, like too many corps lost alums, friends, family, and neighbors. The concept is representational, the emotion the corps effects is affective (generates feelings) in all of us who listen and all who march(ed) Regiment. Just listen to the kids (not only from Regiment) feeling it and humming it in the lot and busses these next few final weeks of tour.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

I guess, from an alum standpoint, (especially considering the years I marched), it saddens me (a little) that the corps is not considered a contender or as entertaining as those in the top 5 or so. However, if being a contender or entertaining means performing a show best understood or appreciated by those with ADD (no slam intended), then I'll pass.

What Coats are doing, I give them complete credit for. Would I want to do it? No. Is it more entertaining than Regiment? No, it is different entertainment. Designed like many are now, to provide so much 'stuff' that you can't possibly keep track of everything that is going on without getting whiplash. Music (if you can call it that anymore) is secondary to the visual aspect of the activity. Not my preference.

I do not appreciate the 15 seconds and a cloud of dust 'moments' we see from most corps (i.e. Drum corps ADD). I do not appreciate breaking into a musical phrase to allow the drummers to do whatever it is they do for no apparent reason. (IMO) it is not musical and detracts greatly from the music actually being played by the brass lines.

Here's something I never thought I'd say, BD's ballad is AWESOME? The rest of the show, whatever. But that's just me!

Flame away!

Rocket I couldn't agree more. My problem lies in the fact that this is a competition and not just for entertainment. I think DCI's vision is clouded and music is on the way out the door,

In response to another post...Crown has adapted to create shows that win/compete, that's something that Phantom is reluctant to do. As the saying goes "If you're not growing you're dying."

Edited by Phantombari1