A Modest Proposal, Part 2 : The Cadets Win the 2015 Fred Sanford Award

I don't think they should have penalties from warmup infractions. I think they should just tell the corps to knock off what they are doing wrong

Often, if a corps gets a penalty its because someone DID tell them to knock off what they were doing wrong and the corps ignored them. It seems rare that a corps would get penalized without a warning, and I personally have not heard of that happening. I have heard of several instances of units (WGI & DCI & others) being warned, adhering to warning, and going on with no penalty.

Perhaps BD was warned and continued breaking the rule; maybe DCI warned a staff member and that staff member failed to relay the warning to the staffer breaking the rule. IDK the exact facts, but it would be rare that a corps gets a penalty for a warmup infraction without being warned first. I could be wrong, and maybe DCI warned the corps they would enforce rules strictly this season (I see another corps got a .5 penalty in Prelims, though I don't know exactly why)

I think this whole average or not average debate doesn't really matter when...

SCV goes from 1st (19.5) in Prelims to 4th at Finals (19.2)

BD's 2nd Judge's Content score goes from 95 (4th in Prelims) to 99 (1st Semis & Finals). This kind of jump in Achievement make sense but this shows how the judging wasn't as consistent here.

If the winner is determined Saturday night on just that performance, I believe all the captions should be as well.

&

Also, if there is going to be 2nd percussion judge there should be a 2nd judge for color guard and brass. If not, just have 1 percussion judge like those other.

If these were the case (with 1 judge each), Bluecoats take Percussion, but Cadets still win Brass, and BD still wins CG.

I kind of think this is faulty logic, as typically the percussion section is much more difficult to judge as a unit than brass. The sound detail of the battery is MUCH more difficult to hear from the stands than the field, and if a field judge is hanging mostly in front of the battery they miss a LOT of the front ensemble contribution. This isn't the case in other performance sections, IMO (and in DCI's opinion)

I don't think they should have penalties from warmup infractions. I think they should just tell the corps to knock off what they are doing wrong

Yeah cause you know they listen (insert sarcasm)

Like Bones tenors who were warned and still went to a no play zone last year

• Like 1

I kind of think this is faulty logic, as typically the percussion section is much more difficult to judge as a unit than brass. The sound detail of the battery is MUCH more difficult to hear from the stands than the field, and if a field judge is hanging mostly in front of the battery they miss a LOT of the front ensemble contribution. This isn't the case in other performance sections, IMO (and in DCI's opinion)

You could make the same argument about detail with color guard then. 1 judge cannot assess close up detail and overall scope at the same time.

You could make the same argument about detail with color guard then. 1 judge cannot assess close up detail and overall scope at the same time.

Well, what is it that the guard judge in the stands can't see well enough?

Well, what is it that the guard judge in the stands can't see well enough?

Arm/Leg/Body angles and technique matching in smaller groups.

Arm/Leg/Body angles and technique matching in smaller groups.

Not sure I agree. And visual proficiency judge pays attention to that too.

Not sure I agree. And visual proficiency judge pays attention to that too.

But you could argue that how well the two percussion sections work as a whole is also judged in music analysis. Sometimes its hard for an on field brass judge to judge the whole brass when shows are as spread out as they are now, however similar to what you said with visual how together the brass is is judged by the music analysis judge, so why couldn't percussion be the same way?

Edited by spencerg98

But you could argue that how well the two percussion sections work as a whole is also judged in music analysis. Sometimes its hard for an on field brass judge to judge the whole brass when shows are as spread out as they are now, however similar to what you said with visual how together the brass is is judged by the music analysis judge, so why couldn't percussion be the same way?

I tend to agree that the 2 perc judges is overkill and wish they were used as battery judge vs pit judge, both on field.