Why are there so many less DCP DCA fans posting since 2012"ish&#34

There IS one related condition I believe relevant, yet not mentioned here. That is, the reported policy of a corps to tell its people to stay off Drum Corps Planet. I just never got that whole thing. I see it to be an overreaction to what might be. I prefer to wait for the 'might' to become a 'what has.'

Here we had a willing and good sponsor in DCP. Someone who put up real money, as a fledgling operation, in order to grow together with DCA. Yet, the message of some DCA participants was . . . . . just stay away from that.

I've heard the purported logic, but remain confused as to risk/reward.

:ninja:

Fred - I'll attest to being told that "policy" by a few "indirect" suggestions, since I no longer am a marching member. I don't know if it's been asked to avoid putting "sensitive" information into social media,(like I have) or if it's just a way to "play nice" and not to antagonize other fans or organizations.

I personally think if anyone's going to use info from DCP as fodder to start more battles on here or on line - they need to have some instruction about what some of the unidentified folks are trying to stir up.. Need to be able to identify the trolls.. :tounge2:

Now Fred - we've never met face to face - but ask around to those here that know me a little bit.. If making a "stay off DCP " policy was going to intimidate me - I would have given EVERYBODY their opportunity to get me banned years ago. Both Jeff and I know a bunch of people from my part of the world who've gotten banned, because they wanted to use DCP to call us out for having opinions other than theirs - and couldn't see the forest for the trees! We're still here - and they've gone into the shadows. :peek:

:sarcasm: gotta give everyone the right to gripe - if they become nasty - **** them! :bleah:

Pat

Well, if I don't stop, yes, 5 hours. I need to. :satisfied: That's a minimum 3 stop trip for me. One likely for fuel. The wagon's only got a range of 315 or so miles on a tank.

and construction

:ninja:

Fred - I'll attest to being told that "policy" by a few "indirect" suggestions, since I no longer am a marching member. I don't know if it's been asked to avoid putting "sensitive" information into social media,(like I have) or if it's just a way to "play nice" and not to antagonize other fans or organizations.

I personally think if anyone's going to use info from DCP as fodder to start more battles on here or on line - they need to have some instruction about what some of the unidentified folks are trying to stir up.. Need to be able to identify the trolls.. :tounge2:

Now Fred - we've never met face to face - but ask around to those here that know me a little bit.. If making a "stay off DCP " policy was going to intimidate me - I would have given EVERYBODY their opportunity to get me banned years ago. Both Jeff and I know a bunch of people from my part of the world who've gotten banned, because they wanted to use DCP to call us out for having opinions other than theirs - and couldn't see the forest for the trees! We're still here - and they've gone into the shadows. :peek:

:sarcasm: gotta give everyone the right to gripe - if they become nasty - **** them! :bleah:

Pat

15 years ago as a staff member I was told to stay off of RAMD. I said F off.

the reasoning was, if I said anything about our corps, it could be considered overhype. if I said anything about another corps, it could be considered bashing. the issue isn't what the member says, it's more one of how others perceive what's said, and we know on RAMD and DCp, no one EVER interprets something to create drama where there isn't any

• Like 5

15 years ago as a staff member I was told to stay off of RAMD. I said F off.

the reasoning was, if I said anything about our corps, it could be considered overhype. if I said anything about another corps, it could be considered bashing. the issue isn't what the member says, it's more one of how others perceive what's said, and we know on RAMD and DCp, no one EVER interprets something to create drama where there isn't any

10 years ago I was told as a marching member to stay off DCP. My sentiments were similar to yours. Guess who won ?

• Like 1

I stopped posting and in general stopped following DCP because I was tired of the same few "Experts" (Liz, Jeff etc.)responding to everything and they are ALWAYS right.

• Like 4

I hear you on that, Santana. If you say anything contrary to the prevailing paradigm, prepare to be bashed by "experts".... Doesn't make for an open environment, but it does make for one that by and large sings from the same songsheet - because everyone else gets fed up and leaves.

And then nobody is saying anything negative so it all must be wonderful!

Thou shalt not disagree....

I hear you on that, Santana. If you say anything contrary to the prevailing paradigm, prepare to be bashed by "experts".... Doesn't make for an open environment, but it does make for one that by and large sings from the same songsheet - because everyone else gets fed up and leaves.

And then nobody is saying anything negative so it all must be wonderful!

Thou shalt not disagree....

Discussion is great. Disagreement is even better. But if you disagree (on whatever topic, for whatever reason), you'd better bring something to the table in terms of evidence.

"LOL today's drum corpz ain't REAL drum corpz!!!1!"

Yea, that's not going to work.

Saying, "I don't like Corps X show, because A, B, and C." or "I don't care for electronics because X, y and Z."- Fantastic. You've brought your opinion, and you've stated why it is what it is. On the other hand..saying "Corps X sucks" or "Electronics is ruining drum corps" is an opinion disguised as a statement of fact. You're wrong before you even get started. You do that, people are going to call you on it. If you get mad as a result, that's your fault, not theirs.

There are a lot of folks on DCP that debate, argue, and discuss topics where I don't agree with them. But neither I nor they take that disagreement personally. Sadly, that's not always the case.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll never dispute a person's opinion. But if they are factually incorrect, that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

• Like 1

Here is a perfect example of someone posting an opinion disguised as a statement or fact over in the review forum.

"To be honest, other than the Bucs, most Seniors aren't even in the same zip code as the Juniors in terms of content". But it is this effect generating content that seems to rule the day in the modern drum corps activity, and it is the corps whose program most closely approaches the modern paradigm of the activity, as defined by World Class DCI, that will stand the best chances of competing. As I mentioned in another thread, it is the show that is written last November that ultimately determines the DCA Champion on Labor Day weekend.

Though I can say the rest of his comment has credence.

I have no problem with opinions "disguised" as facts, because they're still obviously opinions. Most English teachers instruct students not to use the phrase "in my opinion" when constructing an argument because it's almost always redundant to do so. The underlined comment about the Buccaneers design quoted in the previous post is just hyperbole (you see similar comments about the Blue Devils' design in the DCI forum) and can be responded to as such.

• Like 1

I stopped posting and in general stopped following DCP because I was tired of the same few "Experts" (Liz, Jeff etc.)responding to everything and they are ALWAYS right.

well when you continuously predict "whoever scores highest wins", you are ALWAYS right

:cool:

• Like 2