What about difficulty?

One last point, and I'll be tacet:

For hundreds of years (literally) musicians have argued about which is more "demanding": a lot of technique, or clear, transparent playing. Whole notes can certainly be harder than 32nd notes, depending on the situation. When you consider simultaneous responsibilities, the picture becomes even more muddled. Whole notes in 4/4 time at 210 bpm moving diagonally backward at a 6-to-5 step-length?

As someone else mentioned, even the frequency and context of the demands must be considered - for example, BD is notorious for the trumpets not playing for a few phrases while doing body, etc., then popping out a first-inversion triad in the altissimo register at fff while spread out 60 yards. Maybe that was just a whole-note, too.

Edited by Schnitzel
  • Like 1

One last point, and I'll be tacet:

For hundreds of years (literally) musicians have argued about which is more "demanding": a lot of technique, or clear, transparent playing. Whole notes can certainly be harder than 32nd notes, depending on the situation. When you consider simultaneous responsibilities, the picture becomes even more muddled. Whole notes in 4/4 time at 210 bpm moving diagonally backward at a 6-to-5 step-length?

As someone else mentioned, even the frequency and context of the demands must be considered - for example, BD is notorious for te trumpets not playing for a few phrases while doing body, etc., then popping out a first-inversion triad in the altissimo register at fff while spread out 60 yards. Maybe that was just a whole-note, too.

Those difficult "simultaneous responsibilities" become less difficult when muscle memory starts to set in....... and DCI has much more time for that level of repetitive muscle training than DCA. This is why DCI corps are able to make such changes to their closers during the final weeks.....

• Like 1

HAHA ... this from a guy who's name infers breaking "wind" ...

Just kiddin' Fred ... yer on fire lately ...

:-)

Enjoy your input, Schnitzel!

Although, something tells me, your name ain't really Schnitzel! :wink:

(and that's fine)

Edited by ajlisko

(and that's fine)

Well, Fred my dachshund's name was Schnitzel! :smile:

(and that's fine)