Physical Health in Drum Corps and Synthetic Marching Fields...

If anybody comes across the study or a more detailed article that talks about concentration levels of said chemicals and what-not, please share. The article is basically a scary headline, daunting chemical names and little else.

I read about this two years ago in the context of an article published by turf installers to the citizens of my school district warning them about the hazards of "tire-turf" and strongly suggesting they remove and reinstall...

I don't remember the chemicals it quoted but I remember thinking how convenient it was that the same installers were coming back with warnings on a product they themselves installed.

Also read a story at the time of a girl who successfully pressured her school to remove and replace, which led to a district-wide replacement project that ended up costing the district ten's of millions of dollars. They even threw in the 8 or 9 city parks and had those replaced as well.

Ha! It just dawned on me...I wonder how long it will take for those concerned about drum judge safety to squawk about MM hazards of rolling around on the ground during the show. Likely need a new legal disclaimers specifically exempting liability for rubber performance fields in the contract packet.

Edited by garfield

I read about this two years ago in the context of an article published by turf installers to the citizens of my school district warning them about the hazards of "tire-turf" and strongly suggesting they remove and reinstall...

I don't remember the chemicals it quoted but I remember thinking how convenient it was that the same installers were coming back with warnings on a product they themselves installed.

Also read a story at the time of a girl who successfully pressured her school to remove and replace, which led to a district-wide replacement project that ended up costing the district ten's of millions of dollars. They even threw in the 8 or 9 city parks and had those replaced as well.

Ha! It just dawned on me...I wonder how long it will take for those concerned about drum judge safety to squawk about MM hazards of rolling around on the ground during the show. Likely need a new legal disclaimers specifically exempting liability for rubber performance fields in the contract packe

How much carcinogens has to be ingested into the system by contact, etc. probably would have to be an amazingly high number for the cancer to ultimate manifest/blossom as a problem.

However, it is the distinction of skin-irritants which caught my eye (no pun intended,) particularly with the example used by Garfield and the programs of certain corps who seem to spend as much time on the ground as on their feet.

I do know that guard weapon lines tend to use gloves, brass lines as well; flag lines and percussionists do not. Are they at risk?

I have watched the MMs at breaks empty their practice Dinkles/Vipers of those granular pellets which form some of the practice turf. What risk to the feet for MMs?

While I agree with Mingus that the TV report is not as scientifically presented as the link at the end of the article, (thanks for adding that) there is a larger context and conversation in the CT area with which TV viewers there would be familiar, situations (Cheshire, Westport, Trumbull etc.) similar to what Garfield found in his school district. Interestingly, the CT districts concerned are also ones with highly competititve marching bands, one whose drill is written by Leon May of Crown fame.

DCI has a medical committee and I posit that the committee should continue a dialogue with Yale, other scientists and researchers, our drill community, and all our corps to continue advocating for the best health of our MMs especially when legitimate concerns are raised about possible contributors like these. If corps make rules and policies about diets, smoking, proper practice attire, sunscreen, water jugs, etc., gloves in such field conditions may not be unwarranted. I know the libertarians and anti-authoritarians will raise the usual chorus about "no more rules;" the quest for the fast buck and a balanced bottom line may eventually rise to bite the corps from behind if medical costs and other liabilities eventually challenge. Besides drum corps has usually been about "doing the right thing because it is right" even with sacrifice. Forewarned is fore-armed.

Edited by xandandl

It would be an interesting thought discussion to imagine if the lawyers decided that the least liability - MM liability (health, ankles, etc) - was to stop programming design where skin comes in contact with the ground. Imagine!

I see a whole, new line of practice clothing that covers the body and keeps it cool. If designers want to have the corps roll around on the ground they're going to design clothing that allows them to do that, then use the new covering as a design element of the show. Some young entrepreneur is about to launch a new drum corps practice and performance clothing line specifically targeted at ground-up tires.

God Bless, 'Merica, problem solved.

"...or we stand and play on our feet the whole time!"

Which do you think they'll choose?

Edited by garfield

It would be an interesting thought discussion to imagine if the lawyers decided that the least liability - MM liability (health, ankles, etc) - was to stop programming design where skin comes in contact with the ground. Imagine!

I see a whole, new line of practice clothing that covers the body and keeps it cool. If designers want to have the corps roll around on the ground they're going to design clothing that allows them to do that, then use the new covering as a design element of the show. Some young entrepreneur is about to launch a new drum corps practice and performance clothing line specifically targeted at ground-up tires.

God Bless, 'Merica, problem solved.

"...or we stand and play on our feet the whole time!"

Which do you think they'll choose?

Garf,

I already have good contacts with Yale's Cancer division.

You work on the contacts with Under Armour, etc.

We may be onto to something but still get flack from those seeking those drum corps tans with contrasting pale drum harness "tattoos" or hoofs.

Kidding aside, I think DCI's official dialogue on the topic may save some hassles. God knows what the concrete under the turf does to one's knees as well...

Garf,

I already have good contacts with Yale's Cancer division.

You work on the contacts with Under Armour, etc.

We may be onto to something but still get flack from those seeking those drum corps tans with contrasting pale drum harness "tattoos" or hoofs.

Kidding aside, I think DCI's official dialogue on the topic may save some hassles. God knows what the concrete under the turf does to one's knees as well...

I dont know a drum corps person young or old that doesnt have the marching knee issues..lol..Especially those of us who were taught high leg lift and pound them in the ground. Guard people will also have the dancer leg and feet and knee issues as they get older. Part of the game i guess.

we do get great dancer butts though....lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I dont know a drum corps person young or old that doesnt have the marching knee issues..lol..Especially those of us who were taught high leg lift and pound them in the ground. Guard people will also have the dancer leg and feet and knee issues as they get older. Part of the game i guess.

we do get great dancer butts though....lol

Heh

• Like 1