Physical Health in Drum Corps and Synthetic Marching Fields...

This presumes that high school marching bands are gaining much from football game half times. The one thing they get (outside of performance rep opportunity) ... recognition from the school/non-music students, might not be worth as much as some think. Considering how little marching band budgets come from traditional school funding anymore, I'm not sure a big reduction in half time shows would hurt most programs.

2 of the several bands i have done did very few football games anymore. When doing a game, the band filled the stadium . As soon as the band did their show the stadium emptied. Felt a little sorry for the football team actually. Naw not really..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

I sure do however. If there is no more football, even if the Marching Band is totally self funded, why would they then perform exhibitions on their School's football field ? What would be the point of even being on that football field then ? And who would come out to the football field at that College or University to watch the Band march and down that field ? My guess, in that scenario, not enough people to fit in a bus. And if there is nobody out there watching, why do the marching gig up and down on that empty football stadium on a Friday nite, or a Saturday afternoon to begin with ?

I think, in some cases it's your chance for younger students of the school district to see you. School band concerts aren't often advertised very well, at least where I've lived. So I know that it was sometimes the only way for elementary and middle school students to see the band and keep them interested.

I think, in some cases it's your chance for younger students of the school district to see you. School band concerts aren't often advertised very well, at least where I've lived. So I know that it was sometimes the only way for elementary and middle school students to see the band and keep them interested.

Even acknowledging this, who would come back again and again to see a marching band exhibition ( just one unit ) on a football field with no football there ? Unless, one is related to a marcher, or a girlffrind, boy friend, what would be the point ? If you've seen the MB exhibition once, and its not a competition with others there, who the heck would come back repeatedly ?.... with no football games there as the draw ? My guess, just about nobody would return the following week. And I can't envision a MB keeping its MM's interest when there is essentially nobody in the stadium after the 1st exhibition by the MB.

Good timing. Tarpon Springs friends and family exhibition last night.

12224659_1649857968619175_1814738196_n.j

Ok. so be sure to show us the attendance at a 2nd exhibition of this band if there was no football played this year at this stadium... and of couse, THATS what we are talking about here. Hardly anyone would go to a MB exhibition on a football field without football being played there. .. especially after the 1st MB's exhibition there. Heck lets be frank here,... few even here would go to a MB exhibition, (by just 1 MB,) on a football field more than just once in a season, if football was not played there at those MB exhibition events.

Edited by BRASSO

Ok. so be vsure to show us the attendance at a 2nd exhibition of this band if there was no football played this year at this stadium... and of couse, THATS what we are taling about here, ie, essentially nobody would go to MB exhibitions on a football field without football being played there. .. especially after the 1st exhibition there.

Why? Most bands (that you point out as DCI's intended target ... competitive marching bands) only currently do a handful of exhibition each season. Are you suggesting we would need a 1:1 replacement of half times with exhibitions? I'm easily confused ... why are you focusing on exhibitions vs competitive events?

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

... why are you focusing on exhibitions vs competitive events?

Why ? Because there is a big difference between interest in competitions among several competitors, and the interest on the part of people of one MB doing season long exhibitions on a football field without a football team.

My central message is that if football is no longer played on a football field, it would kill off both the College/ University Marching Band programs that do exhibitions on football fields. Could MB survive without foootball on a football field ? Sure, anythings possible. But I'd say there is a strong liklihood that it would be a crippling blow to the School/ University MB movement... and with that a crippling blow to DCI Drum Corps. But of course, thats just my opinion on this too, and others might think that if football died, that MB's and DCI Drum Corps would not be negatively effected... and thats cool and all too, of course.

Edited by BRASSO

Even acknowledging this, who would come back again and again to see a marching band exhibition ( just one unit ) on a football field with no football there ? Unless, one is related to a marcher, or a girlffrind, boy friend, what would be the point ? If you've seen the MB exhibition once, and its not a competition with others there, who the heck would come back repeatedly ?.... with no football games there as the draw ? My guess, just about nobody would return the following week. And I can't envision a MB keeping its MM's interest when there is essentially nobody in the stadium after the 1st exhibition by the MB.

in some parts of the country you needed the football game to market the group to the younger students in the district. those kids don't attend every football game. i know growing this was the only time i knew about when the band was going to play. heck i live in a city now where the arts magnet school doesn't put their concerts in any sort of advertisement. lame.

Why ? Because there is a big difference between interest in competitions among several competitors, and the interest on the part of one MB doing exhibitions on a football field without a football team.

My central meassge is that if football is no longer played on a football field, it would kill offf both the College/ University Marching Band programs that do exhibitions on football fields. Could MB survive without foootball on a football field ? Sure, anythings possible. But I'd say there is a strong liklihood that it would be a crippling blow to the School/ University MB movement... and with that a crippling blow to DCI Drum Corps. But of course, thats just my opinion on this too, and others might think that if football died, that MB's and DCI Drum Corps would not be negatively effected... and thats cool and all too, of course.

i agree. college marching band programs would dry up. heck, many scholarships for those in the band come from the athletic dept.

• Like 1

Why ? Because there is a big difference between interest in competitions among several competitors, and the interest on the part of one MB doing exhibitions on a football field without a football team.

My central meassge is that if football is no longer played on a football field, it would kill offf both the College/ University Marching Band programs that do exhibitions on football fields. Could MB survive without foootball on a football field ? Sure, anythings possible. But I'd say there is a strong liklihood that it would be a crippling blow to the School/ University MB movement... and with that a crippling blow to DCI Drum Corps. But of course, thats just my opinion on this too, and others might think that if football died, that MB's and DCI Drum Corps would not be negatively effected... and thats cool and all too, of course.

University Marching Bands would most likely die. Practically all college marching bands are a product of, and budget line item of, the athletics department.

High School MB and College MB, while similar medium, are not really connected much. There are not many kids doing high school MB as a function of ultimately being in college MB. It just happens to be there. They have the experience. They enjoy the activity, so they sign up. Death of College MB would not likely drive any decline in high school MB. To be clear, I'm not saying high school MB would be the same as it is today. Just that college MB has no noticeable impact or relevance on high school MB. No need to bundle them.

I guess my problem is that I don't see a big need for 1:1 replacement of football half time performances with exhibitions. My current school has 4 or 5 home games a year. And depending on weather, it's not uncommon for the MB to be cut from 1 or 2 per season.

Why do I need to replace halftimes if I am able to continue to find competitive avenues? I'm not replacing the halftimes I miss today for weather. No big deal.

• Like 1