UGA Redcoat Band plays Spirit tribute show

To honor Spirit of Atlanta's upcoming 40th anniversary, the University of Georgia Redcoat Band played a Spirit tribute show yesterday. Some great familiar arrangements here:

http://youtu.be/g6GMMkPOLDE

• Like 4

If this performance was to honor Spirit, any reason why it was mentioned?

I believe Spirit's 40th Anniversary is upcoming.

I believe Spirit's 40th Anniversary is upcoming.

You are correct, but the poster of the video typed, "To honor the upcoming 40th anniversary of the Spirit of Atlanta drum & bugle corps, the first show of the 2015 marching season was "Songs from the South". It included 'Georgia On My Mind', 'Ol Man River', 'Sweet Georgia Brown', and 'Let It Be Me'."

That was great for the band to do this, but no announcement of the tribute to SOA on the video.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

During Georgia they did form several large deltas on the field. I don't think it was a homage to a large airline that calls ATL home.

• Like 3

During Georgia they did form several large deltas on the field. I don't think it was a homage to a large airline that calls ATL home.

And how many folks in the stands and those watching the video know what the drill stood for if in fact this show was actually to "honor" Spirit. The fact that the bands announcer said nothing about Spirit leads one to question the posters comment. Any college band halftime show honoring anything or anyone I've watched on line mentions what the show is about.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

If this performance was to honor Spirit, any reason why it wasn't mentioned?

In their Facebook post, they talked about Spirit. I'm sure the members of the band knew why they were doing it. A football game audience, though, probably wouldn't care, unfortunately.

• Like 2