Brief DCA impressions

First of all, watching the Rochester events from my living room was a real treat. For many of us now, the 'at home' stuff grows in appeal. Yet, our interest in drum corps remains strong. New media works!

Congratulations to my team, the Buccaneers, for another championship season. The program you assembled was loaded with challenge for your members, offered plenty of fascination for audiences, and kept you an elusive target for pursuers. But, watch out, they're getting close !

I'd like to acknowledge my pleasure in watching three other corps. I realize all the participants gave their best. It was an exceptional Finals Weekend. Much to like, but here are a few of my favorite discoveries. Please add your own.

Kidsgrove Scouts. What a corps! The early brass hits said it all. Tickety-Boo ! This corps came to win. Hope all went well doing your visit and many thanks to everyone over here who helped make this possible. Now, how can we get one of our DCA regulars over to your side?

Atlanta CV. Whoa ! What happened since I first saw you on the Atlanta DCI broadcast? That was an entirely different corps than the corps I watched this weekend. SOLID is not a strong enough word to describe your final construction. I get that there are only so many places at what we call the top of the standings, but really, you put together a top 3 performance to my eyes and ears. Best ever Corpsvets/CV I've ever known. Stay in place, Dan and Marvin. Congratulations !

Minnesota Brass. You folks were a bit of a mystery this season for those of us in the East. Too bad, this was a terrific production. The Mad Circus theme is my favorite of all your recent offerings. As expected, marched and played at the high level we have come to know, but this was an avant-garde, entertaining joy. Excellent design choices in so many ways. I saw a bit of Empire Statesmen magic in what you did. From the tightrope artist in drag, the guard in bawdy attire, to the cigar smoking ringmaster, this show was a real pleaser. Had to be fun for the members, too. Win !

Finally, all the best to Gil Silva in his 'retirement.' The DCA organization has survived so long because good persons, like Gil, stepped-up to the challenge and made necessary sacrifices on our behalf.

:thumbup:

• Like 5

Congrats CV. Obvious a major hurdle to cross in DCA. Guess they finally got your dues check after 20 years :).

2nd place in guard and 2nd place in visual. Not bad at all.

Get those horn line scores and drum line scores up to match next year and BAM!

BTW a trip up NE late won't hurt either so your not going in Labor Day weekend in 8th place. Just sayin :):):):)

Edited by camel lips

You pay for those buses and we'll be there! ;)

I don't think a NE trip would hurt (other than the obvious expense). However, you and Minnesota were pushed down the seedings by having a score that was a week older than the rest of Open. I'll never be convinced that there isn't a weekly score creep factor (although that doesn't seem to apply in the drop of scorers from prelims to finals when performances seemed to improve)

Just keep doing that thing you guys do......

maybe the south and midwest regions just move their shows to the last week before finals so that all scores are 'fresh'?

in the past I was pretty vocal about the need to travel north as much as possible over the course of the year to go comparative head to head against the rest of the competition. I think the success of the regions prove that relatively unnecessary. JMO

I don't think a NE trip would hurt (other than the obvious expense). However, you and Minnesota were pushed down the seedings by having a score that was a week older than the rest of Open. I'll never be convinced that there isn't a weekly score creep factor (although that doesn't seem to apply in the drop of scorers from prelims to finals when performances seemed to improve)

Just keep doing that thing you guys do......

maybe the south and midwest regions just move their shows to the last week before finals so that all scores are 'fresh'?

in the past I was pretty vocal about the need to travel north as much as possible over the course of the year to go comparative head to head against the rest of the competition. I think the success of the regions prove that relatively unnecessary. JMO

If times weren't still tough, and it was possible, if more corps were to form outside of the NE and join DCA, the need for more shows outside of the NE would be there. Didn't the Bucs go down to a Carolina Gold show a few years ago?

Being outside of the NE has always proven to be hard, CV, Renegades, SoCal Dream, MBI, etc... As these corps normally will see DCI sheets that don't accurately portray things in DCA numbers.

Edited by ErieSopMike

I don't think it could hurt to move it . CV is getting crippled year after year coming into semis with the low ball DCI scores and then getting some sort of southern DCA score on the books . I really think a true head to head score with the NE is the only way to get a accurate read . And that needs to come when all the other NE corps are getting their final reads

FWIW I think those early reads up NE are totally lost by the time August rolls around score wise . Too much has transpired up NE and CV has gotten sacked with some handicapped DCI scores so the travel up NE twice a year like they were doing was somewhat a waste other than the obvious judges reads .

Edited by camel lips

I don't think it could hurt to move it . CV is getting crippled year after year coming into semis with the low ball DCI scores and then getting some sort of southern DCA score on the books . I really think a true head to head score with the NE is the only way to get a accurate read .

Yea, it really crippled them something fierce this weekend, that's for sure. The simple fact is that each non-NE region had at least two *full DCA panel* shows. They got accurate reads by the same judges that they'd see over two nights in Rochester.

Facts are hard, yo.