Star 1993 Has Been REPLACED

it wasn't the show as much as the fact that Star had trounced Madison and Regiment for several years running. Most shows I was out Scouts fans in particular and some Regiment fans... would "run for a hot dog" during Star's show - -and then BOO the results for a performance they DIDN'T even see. It was laughable.

Yeah, I'm sure that's part of it: fans' bitter resentment at another corps besting their favorites. There were a lot of unfortunate reasons for people's disdain of Star, many of them having little to do with quality or performance or design.

• Like 1

it wasn't the show as much as the fact that Star had trounced Madison and Regiment for several years running. Most shows I was out Scouts fans in particular and some Regiment fans... would "run for a hot dog" during Star's show - -and then BOO the results for a performance they DIDN'T even see. It was laughable.

That's funny, for most that I know that didn't like it at the time, it WAS the show, and they weren't fans simply of Madison or Regiment.

That's funny, for most that I know that didn't like it at the time, it WAS the show, and they weren't fans simply of Madison or Regiment.

I was on tour the entire summer - saw like 20-30 shows... There was a mix but the midwest "fans" were the most vocal in their hatred. Just what I saw personally. Folks leaving and not watching the performance, then booing the results. Mostly Scouts t-shirt wearing folks. If you recall at that time they (and the director) were being allegedly "underscored" in DCI

I was on tour the entire summer - saw like 20-30 shows... There was a mix but the midwest "fans" were the most vocal in their hatred. Just what I saw personally. Folks leaving and not watching the performance, then booing the results. Mostly Scouts t-shirt wearing folks. If you recall at that time they (and the director) were being allegedly "underscored" in DCI

I can correlate that with my experience seeing shows throughout the midwest that summer. I honestly don't recall specific corps' fans being more vocal than others, but definitely seeing Star all over the mid-west in 1993 there was a lot of disappointment: particularly when Star was dominating over Phantom, Madison, etc (IIRC the scores really weren't very ballpark: I kind of remember Star beating, say, Regiment by three, four, maybe even FIVE points in July). I remember at Preview of Champions that year, Cadets & Star tied at Prelims and then Star won Finals by almost 2 points or something! I think fans REALLY hate when a corps they really dislike handily beat corps/shows they really like

Edited by perc2100