Star 1993 Has Been REPLACED

Wow, you think Star 1993 was underscored? No it wasn't. The Medea show finished second by 1/10 of one point. I saw both live that year. It lost because the Cadets show was better and MUCH more interesting.

In MY opinion.

And not that it matters, the Blue Coats 2015 show was not "underscored" either. It finished 3rd, less than one point from first place. Frankly I would have placed it lower.

And of that 0.1...Star was 0.4 behind in visual performance total score.

Wow, you think Star 1993 was underscored? No it wasn't. The Medea show finished second by 1/10 of one point. I saw both live that year. It lost because the Cadets show was better and MUCH more interesting.

In MY opinion.

And not that it matters, the Blue Coats (sic) 2015 show was not "underscored" either. It finished 3rd, less than one point from first place. Frankly I would have placed it lower.

11.jpg

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 2

After a great deal of reflection - I have to say...

We had a show this past summer that will define and influence shows for at least a decade to come

The design was like a Drum Corps Mona Lisa. The more you stare at it - the better it gets

I honestly believe it was severely underscored in GE by the DCI judging community

And as evidence I offer an indoor run of the 2015 Bluecoats just prior to finals night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQtuAyiPI98

An amazing and layered program, fresh and creative in so many ways

So well done and original - Bravo!

George.

I disagree. The show that will be most fondly remembered this year will be Crown. Listen to the audience reaction at the end of Tilt vs the end of Kinetic Noise, a huge drop in hype. Crown got the biggest ovation this year by a large margin (like Bloo did last year), and that is telling as to which show will go down as memorable and special.

• Like 1

In MY opinion.

And not that it matters, the Blue Coats 2015 show was not "underscored" either. It finished 3rd, less than one point from first place. Frankly I would have placed it lower.

I don't know if I would say that, however: 3rd in GE Visual and 4th in Field Visual seem more, to me now with 20/20 Hindsight, that maybe judges didn't know how to score that show. I haven't heard any of those tapes, so it's hard to say. I think undeniably that show was ahead of its time design-wise and I could see someone arguing visually they might've been underscored.

FWIW Cadets 1993 is probably my answer to "what's your all-time favorite show." From a design standpoint I think it's pretty darn near flawless, and even with a few obvious performance issues here or there it's amazingly performed as well. It's a totally different show than Star: one that seems almost on-the-nose from a design standpoint while Star has a much more subtle design. I really like both shows, and generally agree with judges that 1993 Champion was just about a toss-up with Cadets getting the slight edge.

While many could argue that 1993 was a 'down' year for DCI show-wise (at least, I remember hearing that from, like, 1993-late 90's from many folks), especially after how wildly entertaining 1992 was, I think it was a great year with one of the strongest Gold/Silver shows of the modern era. While 2008 might've been a closer margin, I'd take 93 Star & Cadets over 08 BD and Phantom ANY day

• Like 1

Cavies were the last shift. more followed their lead than you see with BD the last 8/9 years

Edited by Jeff Ream

93 has always been vastly under rated. Cadets and Star, Phantom charging into 3rd after 92's disaster, BD and Madison jazzing up and Cavies regrouping after losing Brubaker. Don't forget SCV started out SLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWW, then you had Crossmen w/Songs for planet earth 2....Coats and BK, and man what a fun show BK had...then Glassmen and Colts breaking in for the first time!

Well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I disagree. The show that will be most fondly remembered this year will be Crown. Listen to the audience reaction at the end of Tilt vs the end of Kinetic Noise, a huge drop in hype. Crown got the biggest ovation this year by a large margin (like Bloo did last year), and that is telling as to which show will go down as memorable and special.

Most popular at the time aren't always remembered as "best" long term... I didn't get the reaction to Crown at all this year - but I guess they wanted "anyone but BD"

93 has always been vastly under rated. Cadets and Star, Phantom charging into 3rd after 92's disaster, BD and Madison jazzing up and Cavies regrouping after losing Brubaker. Don't forget SCV started out SLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWW, then you had Crossmen w/Songs for planet earth 2....Coats and BK, and man what a fun show BK had...then Glassmen and Colts breaking in for the first time!

Agreed. 93 was anything but a "down year"