Suncoast Sound 1988

I could go on all day about the amazing construction of that show. Too bad they were on their way out, because with the right performance, holy Christmas!

But my question pertains to the color guard. In 1987, their My Fair Lady show finished dead-12th in guard Finals night. In 1988, they were 2nd in semifinals and 2nd in Finals. Had DCI used today's criteria for captions, Suncoast would have won best guard in '88. Instead, the 6th place semi-final placing Phantom guard snuck in there on finals night (Madison won guard in semis and was 3rd in Finals).

Who the how the what the heck? Who took over that program to get them that great that fast? I recall somebody saying something about a winter guard called Odyssey... That "Children's Garden..." show is so creepy (guard masks/costuming/movement) but one of the most creative endeavors ever. If you've never seen it, the whole show is on YT.

Incidentally, they finished 4th in guard in 1989 Finals, which was their last appearance---after finishing 14th in QFs. And the recaps list the same judge (J. Gilbert).

With the right program, the performers believe in it...and the magic happens.

If the performers do NOT believe in the program, it shows...and I remember that the 87 members did not really like the show.

88 was an entirely different matter.

With the right program, the performers believe in it...and the magic happens.

If the performers do NOT believe in the program, it shows...and I remember that the 87 members did not really like the show.

88 was an entirely different matter.

Thats regrettable... as I recall, FAR more Drum Corps fans at the time enjoyed their '87 show better than their '88 show.

Edited by BRASSO

After their masterful 1986 finals performance, My Fair Lady was a musical letdown. Granted, Stan Kenton is very hard to get across to the masses, but brass and percussion were the absolute best in their corps history. Heck, they went on with FIVE corps to go and still won field brass (9.9/10) over BD & SCV ---both had incredible lines that year.

I'm still looking for the Color Guard caption head and staff!

Thats regrettable... as I recall, FAR more Drum Corps fans at the time enjoyed their '87 show better than their '88 show.

I can confirm that we did not like the 87 show at all. It wasn't that simple either...the original show that was announced and passed out was a bazillion times better, but was changed during the winter (I attended the first camp in November, and then decided not to march, but filled a hole the day after the premier show in June).

Incredibly cool group of people, staff and members. But an absolute dog of a program.

Karl Lowe oversaw the visual design, and served as color guard designer and caption head from 86-89. Mark Sylvester wrote the drill in 88 (Mike Raiford write the drill from 85-87, and Kevin Ford wrote it in 89).

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

I can confirm that we did not like the 87 show at all. It wasn't that simple either...the original show that was announced and passed out was a bazillion times better, but was changed during the winter (I attended the first camp in November, and then decided not to march, but filled a hole the day after the premier show in June).

Thanks, John...I'd forgotten that part.

But see, Brasso....this is what happens when you've actually TALKED with the people in the show. I asked for confirmation several years back (IU think it was John, in fact, who confirmed) instead of going by audience reaction.

Incredibly cool group of people, staff and members. But an absolute dog of a program.

Karl Lowe oversaw the visual design, and served as color guard designer and caption head from 86-89. Mark Sylvester wrote the drill in 88 (Mike Raiford write the drill from 85-87, and Kevin Ford wrote it in 89).

I never doubted, nor challenged, the veracity that perhaps some ( or even all ) of marchers "did not like the '87 show". My comment was my assessment that many Drum Corps fans in 1987 loved the '1987 show. They seemed to from my personal observation of their show. And from Fan Network audience reactions that is quite visible, most audiences in '87 loved the '87 show too. ( wish we still had Fan Network still available to us.. as its been a great source to provide verifiable substantiation ( or repudiation ) of claims made in later years on things posted here on DCP, or heard elsewhere.

Edited by BRASSO

Thanks, John...I'd forgotten that part.

But see, Brasso....this is what happens when you've actually TALKED with the people in the show. I asked for confirmation several years back (IU think it was John, in fact, who confirmed) instead of going by audience reaction.

This is what happens when you can't read what I actually said. The inability to understand what was actually said, did apparently get you frustrated. Thats of course a regrettable occurance... for you, But I can't be held responsible for your frustration in this case.. as it was entirely of your own doing. If you'd care to reread what I actually said above, you will see that my initial reply remarks to this topc never focused on the marchers view of that show. Not at all. The initial reply remarks made by me ( still there above ) were about the AUDIENCE reaction to the '87 show and to my OWN observation and assessment of its enjoyment levels. As a follow up post, I then accepted without challenge, and in its entirety, the comment made that a few, some, most, or even all of the 87 MARCHERS did not particularly like that '87 show that they performed. So,... I really don't know what else to tell you, 84BDsop.

Edited by BRASSO