Suncoast Sound 1988

this again?

Saw them a few times in the midwest, early season show that no other big corps was at then DCM which I recall was raining so half the crowd bailed then saw them right after that, no booing.... heard they got booed at Ypsilanti by Cadet fans, they tied in prelims and then put almost 2 points on Cadets so they got booed. then I saw them at finals and yes, don't recall them being in the midwest a lot of the season.... Regiment got the best response at fianls, it was that sort of show. Cadets and Star were very boring shows, most people that didn't follow either Star or Cadets were pretty indifferent as to who would win.... they were both a few points out in front of everyone....they were ' cerebral' bando shows that failed to engage a lot of the crowd. I know I didn't care who won... 12-3 were pretty solid then it was nap time

also, some Star fans were very aggressive, chip on their shoulder that year, I'd go as far as saying they were rude, recall some of that at DCM

1993 Cadets show was boring? Wow. I'll just chalk this whole post up to false memories

1993 Cadets show was boring? Wow. I'll just chalk this whole post up to false memories

Or maybe you could chalk it up to the posters opinion?

Or maybe you could chalk it up to the posters opinion?

sure. All the standing O's and dropped jaws during 1993 during Cadets performances were all in my imagination

sure. All the standing O's and dropped jaws during 1993 during Cadets performances were all in my imagination

That's not the point. The comment was that it was boring to some, and it was. To me, no, I screamed my lungs out, to others, boring? Sure.

Watch the end of Madison 1997-one guy in the front row-hands in pockets, virtually all others losing their ####### minds.

Simply saying some CAN find something boring even if most love it.

That's not the point. The comment was that it was boring to some, and it was. To me, no, I screamed my lungs out, to others, boring? Sure.

Watch the end of Madison 1997-one guy in the front row-hands in pockets, virtually all others losing their ####### minds.

Simply saying some CAN find something boring even if most love it.

he was commenting on overall crowd reaction

Here's how it went in 93 -

Cadets show right out of the gate OOZED GE. It was by far the most popular show on the circuit until the last 3 weeks. The opener drew "gasps" as the snare line ran around and the guard just kept going and going. The ballad push to the audience was another standing O. The ending was another standing O. Extreme GE in that program. Crowds LOVED IT

Stars show was "love or hate" - as it traveled east and to finals the reaction improved. It wasn't very well received in the midwest or texas. By the time it reached Jackson with a more experienced audience and improved execution it got a decent response..

Regiment was the 1993 dark horse. The show grew and grew. It went from "strange" to becoming quite popular by worlds. The show was dramatically restaged during the season. They added the crab step ending to the opener and repeated it at the end - became a big WOW. Then they restaged the ballad and added leaving the helmets and marching around them - and the ballad just grew and grew and become another huge wow. 4 standing O's at finals.

I'll never forget that season and that top 3 - one for the ages.

For probably 10 years, I never listened to Cadets or Star when I listened to '93 cd's. They just didn't appeal to me, especially compared to Phantom and BD. It wasn't until a decade later that I began finding something to like about those two shows. I still prefer Phantom's music to what Cadets and Star played. It is strictly a matter of personal taste/appeal.

For probably 10 years, I never listened to Cadets or Star when I listened to '93 cd's. They just didn't appeal to me, especially compared to Phantom and BD. It wasn't until a decade later that I began finding something to like about those two shows. I still prefer Phantom's music to what Cadets and Star played. It is strictly a matter of personal taste/appeal.

totally agree. But Cadets show was very well-received at the time... That's all I was saying.

he was commenting on overall crowd reaction

Here's how it went in 93 -

Cadets show right out of the gate OOZED GE. It was by far the most popular show on the circuit until the last 3 weeks. The opener drew "gasps" as the snare line ran around and the guard just kept going and going. The ballad push to the audience was another standing O. The ending was another standing O. Extreme GE in that program. Crowds LOVED IT

Stars show was "love or hate" - as it traveled east and to finals the reaction improved. It wasn't very well received in the midwest or texas. By the time it reached Jackson with a more experienced audience and improved execution it got a decent response..

Maybe the crowd loved Cadets because they were rooting against Star?

“Cadets can’t beat this?”

93 had a lot of muscular, older style shows, Cadets and Star didn’t fit that mold as such they didn’t inspire such visceral reactions from the crowd. They were also not to my tastes.

I agreed with what you said, Regiment got the best reaction at finals, better than either Cadets or Star, think BD was also better received

Can’t say how Cadets were received earlier on tour don’t recall seeing them until finals week and they were not the darling of DCI then. just looked at Star’s scores and tour that year, not sure how that matches with your recollection either but whatever

Maybe you sat in the Cadets block for Finals that year and got a different take on the crowd?

• Like 1

Maybe the crowd loved Cadets because they were rooting against Star?

“Cadets can’t beat this?”

93 had a lot of muscular, older style shows, Cadets and Star didn’t fit that mold as such they didn’t inspire such visceral reactions from the crowd. They were also not to my tastes.

I agreed with what you said, Regiment got the best reaction at finals, better than either Cadets or Star, think BD was also better received

Can’t say how Cadets were received earlier on tour don’t recall seeing them until finals week and they were not the darling of DCI then. just looked at Star’s scores and tour that year, not sure how that matches with your recollection either but whatever

Maybe you sat in the Cadets block for Finals that year and got a different take on the crowd?

I feel that some of the reaction that Phantom got at '93 finals was because of what happened to the 3 corps ahead of them. The rain at finals caused a very wet field that affected Madison, Devils even more and Cavaliers the most. The two corps prior to Cavaliers had numerous guard issues because of the rain. The Cavaliers had not only guard issues, but several of their members ended up on the ground because of the wet field. Some of what happened had not been seen in finals before.

Phantom came out and their show was not affected by the rain the same way it had affected the prior three corps. Their guard was spot on and as far as I know, none of their members ended up falling because of the wet field. I think this helped the crowd to react the way they did.

Regarding audience response to Phantom's performance, I have to agree with those posters who stated that Phantom got the biggest fan response. I don't think the lack of rain was much of a factor, if at all. The last three numbers, Danza Final, the Fire of Eternal Glory and Death Hunt were all loaded with general effect. I had seen PR early season in NJ and was not particularly impressed. However, the late season additions, such as the moving and whirling triangle in Danza and the hats on the field mimicking headstones in a cemetery in Fire were terrific. If you listen to the crowd reaction at the end of Fire, the ballad, it is off the charts, and rightly so. I have never been a big Phantom Regiment fan, but that show finals week was wonderful and merited every bit of audience adulation.

• Like 3