Why is this HS Band show better designed than half the 2015 top 12?

I'd like for someone to try to make the case that Mandarin could very well be the language of..."money and finance" in the future (and isn't "in the future" rather open-ended to be a compelling argument?). This belief is undoubtedly based on the rumor/speculation (equally flawed IMO) that China's currency will supplant the dollar as the world's reserve currency.

No, not neccessarily. You put your OWN belief as the reason for this possibility, then attempted to shoot down that possible reason yourself as the following action. When someone states that a belief is " undoubtably " a single reason ( and no other ) reason plausable for that belief articulated by another, they have sometimes found themselves to have jumped to conclusions on that. . In this case, noone here as put forth that Mandarin might... might... be the future language of money and finance because of the single adoption of the Rimindi or the Yuan over the Dollar as the World's primary reserve currency. In my view, ( since you did not ask ), Mandarin will possibly become the future language of Money and Finance for a multiplicity of reasons, with no single one reason here that you decided to put forth as " undoubtably " THE reason, and apparently in your view, the chief and only single reason. Whats " flawed " here, imo then, is your preconceived single assumption of what the why of this might,.. could.., be as possible reasons this could potentially become a future reality.

Edited by BRASSO

A compelling case can be made however that Mandarin in the future could very well be the language of the world's " money and finance ". As such, some of the most forward looking , progressive schools ( some even public schools ) are offering Mandarin as an elective ( even in some non Asian- American communities in the US ).

Ok, then let's try this another way: Would you please make the case, or cite one you would think would support, that Mandarin will be the language of the world's money and finance system in the future?

I'll leave all of my pre-conceived notions aside while you do.

Ok, then let's try this another way: Would you please make the case, or cite one you would think would support, that Mandarin will be the language of the world's money and finance system in the future?

I'll leave all of my pre-conceived notions aside while you do.

No. I don't desire, nor choose, to attempt to make the case with you. I will exercise my choice to decline the offer to elaborate this with you. Besides, such detail will by its very nature take this thread topic in a direction that would take us even further afar from the topic at hand... just another reason why I will elect not to explain this observation of mine any further.

Edited by BRASSO

If Don Hill could do so well with BA, why were the arrangements for Regiment so overwritten?

Maybe DCI judges want more notes or they score down for lack of difficulty?

I was thinking about overall design and clarity.

Well, I think this goes back to my initial responses to this thread: the "clarity" of a good BoA show (for those who agree with George D. and others that Broken Arrow and its ilk are indeed better designed than, e.g., Phantom Regiment) conflicts with the difficulty required of a good DCI show. If Phantom performed Broken Arrow's show as written (allowing for instrumentation changes), they'd be creamed by the judges for the material being too easy. But when you make the material more difficult, you are likely to make it less beautiful.

Answer to the subject line. It's not. Sorry. Not being a drum corps homer. I spent many more years in marching bands than in drum corps. But marching band just isn't at the same level as the majority of top 12 DCI corps. I do appreciate, though, that this band is great...for a HS band.

It's not executed at the same level, of course, but design isn't execution. Something very simple can be more beautiful than something very difficult.

This band show is not designed better than any of the world class shows. None of them.

You may be right, but this subject actually has received fairly little consideration in this thread.

I will say that in a few brief discussions with a designer who has worked in DCI, BoA, and WGI, I was told that, in his opinion, DCI had the least interesting designs.

In both drum corps and band, design is a means to an end: education. A poorly designed show is unfortunate, but not a critical failing as it would be for Cirque du Soleil, for example. There are many poorly designed shows, and the corps and bands survive because they are succeeding at their mission, which is education, not putting on great shows for audiences.

I like to think that if I were a corps director I could find staff to deliver nothing but amazing shows, but I bet it's harder than it looks. And ultimately more expensive one way or another.

This is true, but, I would argue, not germane to the question of why Broken Arrow's design is better than that of some DCI Finalist corps (if it is, which I recognize is a debatable proposition).

And of course the judges aren't rating corps or bands on the value of the educational experience they deliver. If they were, I think the official placements would probably look rather different.

No. I don't desire, nor choose, to attempt to make the case with you. I will exercise my choice to decline the offer to elaborate this with you. Besides, such detail will by its very nature take this thread topic in a direction that would take us even further afar from the topic at hand... just another reason why I will elect not to explain this observation of mine any further.

OK, well we're all entitled to our opinions, for sure, and I appreciate the banter even if it is OT sometimes.

- I disagree that the [broken Arrow] props are clunky, and the comparison to BAC 2015 is way off. I thought they moved around the field very effortlessly (unlike, say, Cadets 2013).

- Dan Potter announced at the show because he works at a Tulsa radio station, and Broken Arrow is a suburb of Tulsa. He is regularly involved with Tulsa Union HS as well.

Part of that is due to bands being able to have as many members as they can recruit from their school enrollment. Half the guard can be moving the props while still leaving enough visual activity to interest the eye (and members to play). This year's fourth-place band at BoA finals, William Mason (from southewest Ohio), had a couple dozen members (half in guard uniforms and half in band uniforms) whose tasks were to move their large props around the field and to pose on them. (The props were double-decker scaffolding units affixed with chain link, to evoke West Side Story.) BoA's live bloggers referred to those members as Mason's "stage hands".

Some DCP posters have argued that there should be no restrictions on the number of members corps can have, presumably to allow corps the greatest freedom to present shows like that. Others counter that this would lead to the death of more lower-tier corps, that there are plenty of people who would rather be a stage hand at Blue Devils than a performer at Pioneer.

And thanks for the explanation about Dan Potter!

I waited to see it live before I commented. Watching the show last night without hearing the name of it it was meh. Execution was great but the show did nothing for me design wise. This was my first experience of BOA and was actually let down with the designs for finals compared to other shows that didn't make it.

Just curious to know which non-Finalists you preferred.