Is it just me or does the large jump in score +3 for the Academy and +4 for the Boston Crusaders seem out of place.

At least one of them does.

The Crossmen will need to pull some adjustment out of the bag in order to change the current point pathway. There seems to be no room for error in the show. There is a high level of difficulty and musical originality but very few "wow" spots that push a judge into a point differential that allows for small errors. There is no headroom or place for miscues.

The last time we saw them was over a week ago. We were very excited with their performance and felt that the clean up and adjustments made at that time should scored high. But it was not to be. We will see them tonight and hope to see a great show.

Q: Is there a place to learn about judges scoring methods?

It has been a very exciting summer following the kids. They have done a fantastic job and created many smiles and big hearts.

The Crossmen will need to pull some adjustment out of the bag in order to change the current point pathway. There seems to be no room for error in the show. There is a high level of difficulty and musical originality but very few "wow" spots that push a judge into a point differential that allows for small errors. There is no headroom or place for miscues.

The last time we saw them was over a week ago. We were very excited with their performance and felt that the clean up and adjustments made at that time should scored high. But it was not to be. We will see them tonight and hope to see a great show.

It has been a very exciting summer following the kids. They have done a fantastic job and created many smiles and big hearts.

DCI wrote an article recently about judging:

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=965782&SPID=166025&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211086489

As far as the corps, I think they showed their strong character yesterday when they were able to achieve their highest score of the year in all broad captions even with technical problems at the beginning of the show.

I don't really know if the staff is going to make any significant changes to the show before Indy. I attended some rehearsals and their focus appeared to be on cleaning the most technically difficult parts of the show. They aren't perfect yet. There is some room to grow.

I'm really missing seeing the detailed recaps to know more about what the judges are telling them. I'd love to know where they are ranking in the various captions. In the broad captions of GE, Visual, and Music, they have been well-balanced most of the season. Yesterday, was a good example--7th Overall and 7th in every caption category. They are slightly closer to Blue Stars in the Visual caption than the other two.

It is basically

General Effect

Visual: 20 points [box]

Music: 20 points [box]

Visual

Analysis: 20 points (divided by 2) [box]

Proficiency: 20 points (divided by 2) [field]

Color Guard: 20 points (divided by 2) [box]

Music

Brass: 20 points (divided by 2) [field]

Analysis: 20 points (divided by 2) [box]

Percussion: 20 points (divided by 2) [2 judges; 1 field and 1box]

Basically, the judges in the box judge how the show is from up top, and the judges on the field judge individuals and small groups, looking for consistency from member to member, technique, etc...

Each caption is divided into 2 sections: content and achievement. Or, what you are doing and how well you are doing it.

So, for example, the brass judge on the field will score every corps out of 10 on the "content" that they are trying to do, and then another score out of 10 for how well they are achieving it. Those two scores are added together to get the "brass" score. Then that score is divided by 2 to fit into the corps score and the 100 possible points.

What you can see, is that the GE captions are worth 40 points out of the 100, and Visual and Music are each worth 30. This is why a show with really good GE can carry a corps in a way that a really good brass line or guard or percussion section cannot.

DCI unfortunately doesn't publish its sheets, but Bands of America (the highest profile national marching band circuit) publishes theirs, and they have some explanations: https://www.musicforall.org/images/2015_Rulebook_-_FINAL.pdf so you can read about GE and Music Performance and Visual Performance. Remember the DCI sheets are a little different (and DCI has some other captions that BOA does not), but you should be able to get a feel for what some of the judges are looking for.

I hope this helps some... :)

Edited by soccerguy315

Above is mostly correct, but since 2014, GE has changed. It is no longer:

General Effect

Visual: 20 points [box]

Music: 20 points [box]

General Effect

GE1 (usually a visual judge who also evaluates music in the score): 20 points [box]

GE2 (usually a music judge who also evaluates visual in the score): 20 points [box]

It is unclear if this is a distinction without a difference or not.

• Like 1

Good info indeed. Many thanks.

It is also good to hear from someone who has attended practice. Nice insight to what is seen during the practice.

I was told that the reason for the intro hold up was the mixer not responding but that they eventually got it going.

It was excruciating to watch. I am sure there were plenty of Crossmen Alum there feeling the same.

From a newbie it looks like areas to fix would be consistency in steps and running, along with dance moves.

We watched BK and BD and the one clear difference it the they look very uniform in all things, the exception being the freelance moves.

Also the upper groups snap all of their moves with conviction.

There is so much we can all say but the kids are doing awesome. It has been a fantastic first year for us. We are hooked.

We also glad there was no death trap tarp to trip up the kids. The sheen was not good and a distraction and a danger.

Keep up the good work.