A "Reset" Year For Rights

Brace yourselves... The Jannnnnual is coming.

So, while I proposed earlier some rules related to rights acquisition, I thought I'd just say this out loud and see if this would be tolerated by the DCP pitchfork mob...

(Cue John Lennon)

Imagine... 2016 - No copyrights at all.

Imagine a rule or two

Imagine a whole year of Fair Use

And no sync rights too

Imagine all the people, streaming through the world oooo...

OK OK, sorry. I got carried away, and The Beatles are probably the worst/most ironic example. Here's the thought, be it 2016 or even 2017 if it's too late... Pass a one-season only rule where all music played has to be rights-free. Why?

Here's why:

#1 - It gives a clean break, and a year to work on things without adding to the pile.

#2 - It will provide a level of restraint that the music industry may note with a slight interest.

#3 - It will show everyone that DCI is very serious about the problems.

#4 - It would allow shows to be archived and made available on-demand.

#5 - It will allow an internal discussion as to whether DCI can live without rights, or how they impact the bottom line.

Again, I'm not saying anything permanent. I'm not even suggesting that it become permanent, because there's a lot of reason to use copyrighted material. But reason #1 is the biggest one... by selecting a year where there are zero rights issues, it allows the administration of rights to get "caught up", and allows DCI to quickly evaluate what's worthwhile, and what's the kind of pieces to avoid altogether.

Unless anyone knows of a compelling reason to not do this one year, I'd love to hear it.

Also, you could piggy-back this with another idea a "comrade" had... in the year following, ask the corps to stick to a "classics" year (or a corps' "best of"), where they play tunes they've already played in their history -- specifically, ones that DCI is sure they have the rights for, and have a history of success with. This would ease everyone back into playing properly with copyright with less hassle, and then allowing for two solid years of policy-sharpening and offering the fans a unique opportunity to look forward to what corps can do with these temporary concepts.

If nothing else comes out of the Janual, I would imagine this would reset the dialogue and help the organization get back in a good position. Now, anyone know who can propose this?? :)

A. I think this would be interesting. Sometimes the most interesting artistic endeavors are what one does when forced in a box w/rules

B. To add to the "Reset"/one-year-only thing, lets also go nutty with woodwinds, lights, and anything else deemed safe for the activity: a sort of "Anything Goes" design-wise with the caveat that musically it must be Public Domain. This could be a way to help sway designers & corps to go with it

C. I assume you mean American Public Domain only, as Europe and I think even Canada can be significantly different?

I know we're just spit-balling here, as fans with no legit say or even voice in the discussion. But it would be interesting to even hear DCI BoD bring this idea up for discussion, IMO. If I'm being blunt (and cynical), I assume DCI is more of a "damm the torpedoes, full speed ahead" and not willing to compromise design integrity in order to appease rights issues. It's nice to hear Dan A. talk as if this the DCI media is important to the activity: I honestly don't know if I would've said that before hearing this interview. I also honestly don't know if other DCI directors care about that. Clearly Scouts when they did "Empire State of Mind" were far more concerned with the performance and competitive end of the season rather than the media and digital media after-the-fact. Cadets were more concerned with performance & points when it came to using 'Charlie Brown' stuff a few years back. Is that a bad thing? I honestly don't know, and I'm not 100% certain I know what the consensus is with the Directors when it comes to rights management for CDs/DVDs vs competitive performance.

But I would love to hear DCI have a legit discussion of this type.

Perc, two things I am sure of...

First, DA has cared about music licensing for a very long time. It might appear new outwardly, but licensing things properly has been a thing since before the Legacy discs.

Second, licensing has been a moving target since Interwebs. Based on the confederation setup, corps have always been in agreement that they should do a good job, but that the creative integrity came first. I think it's fair to say that as of 2015, we are in a new era. The calculus has changed for everyone, and the way things have been are a bygone era. Unfortunately, compliance today isn't compliance tomorrow, and that is a scary fact.

This thread has turned hilarious. Except for Debbie-Downer Ream.

sorry, i deal in reality

Perc, two things I am sure of...

First, DA has cared about music licensing for a very long time. It might appear new outwardly, but licensing things properly has been a thing since before the Legacy discs.

Second, licensing has been a moving target since Interwebs. Based on the confederation setup, corps have always been in agreement that they should do a good job, but that the creative integrity came first. I think it's fair to say that as of 2015, we are in a new era. The calculus has changed for everyone, and the way things have been are a bygone era. Unfortunately, compliance today isn't compliance tomorrow, and that is a scary fact.

hey even Phantom in 08 HAD clearances, then they got yanked later.

sorry, i deal in reality

Yes -- everything's ideal in reality.