Tanglewood Brass Spetacular

Having last years on my resume certainly didn't hurt when I was accepted to pursue a Music Performance degree. It was even brought up in the audition.

Fantastic !

And best of future success to you in the pursuit of the degree, MelloMatt !

• Like 2

Just back from Tanglewood...

I hope there is a tape available for the public of the medley arrangement Mike Martin did and which the BSO/POPs brass and percussion played to end their set.

It was announced as a special gift and tribute to the corps present there last night. The whoops went up as the pros started with The Boxer, then Elsa's Procession, and closed with Rocky Point Holiday, complete with usual Cadets' tag line. The corps and their fans were quite vocal in their cheers as each was toted. Of course, Mike, a principal trumpeter with BSO/Pops has his DCI pedigree as son of Freddie (who also conducted one set tonight), alum of Spirit and Regiment, and now brass caption head of Cavies. It was also announced that the principal tuba for BSO is a Suncoast Sound alum.

David Warren, principal conductor of Regiment, had the honors of co-conducting with Mike Martin from up in the Crow's Nest for the 1812 massed units finale, so loud no one ever heard cannons. Other DMs were grounded as what part of the corps and BSO could not fit on the stage rung the very huge (SRO?) audience to the delight of the hundreds overflowing out onto the spacious park like lawns. Neil Larivee did a super job as the narrator...oops I better say Master of Ceremonies, even though most of us know him as the percussion guy.

A great night for all!

Consolations to Kurt Mazur whose Dad died recently.

• Like 2

Just back from Tanglewood...

I hope there is a tape available for the public of the medley arrangement Mike Martin did and which the BSO/POPs brass and percussion played to end their set.

It was announced as a special gift and tribute to the corps present there last night. The whoops went up as the pros started with The Boxer, then Elsa's Procession, and closed with Rocky Point Holiday, complete with usual Cadets' tag line. The corps and their fans were quite vocal in their cheers as each was toted. Of course, Mike, a principal trumpeter with BSO/Pops has his DCI pedigree as son of Freddie (who also conducted one set tonight), alum of Spirit and Regiment, and now brass caption head of Cavies. It was also announced that the principal tuba for BSO is a Suncoast Sound alum.

David Warren, principal conductor of Regiment, had the honors of co-conducting with Mike Martin from up in the Crow's Nest for the 1812 massed units finale, so loud no one ever heard cannons. Other DMs were grounded as what part of the corps and BSO could not fit on the stage rung the very huge (SRO?) audience to the delight of the hundreds overflowing out onto the spacious park like lawns. Neil Larivee did a super job as the narrator...oops I better say Master of Ceremonies, even though most of us know him as the percussion guy.

A great night for all!

I was there as well. Great show a lot of thanks To BAC/ POP's for this well throughout event. A tribute to all the corps by the Boston POP's well done. Great night and the kids had a great time as well. 1812 overture was the high light of the evening surrounded by all the corps horn line, plus POP's brass and BAC drum line. outstanding job done by all.

• Like 1

I was there as well. Great show a lot of thanks To BAC/ POP's for this well throughout event. A tribute to all the corps by the Boston POP's well done. Great night and the kids had a great time as well. 1812 overture was the high light of the evening surrounded by all the corps horn line, plus POP's brass and BAC drum line. outstanding job done by all.

What was the title of the Boston segment? I was unsure.

Kudos to Boston both for arranging this 2 summers in a row and at Boston College show for the nice gift Boston's admin extended to Phantom to mark PR's 60th. Class, all around.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 3

It was announced as a special gift and tribute to the corps present there last night.

Did they also play Giant? If so, did you notice people standing during it? Let's hope the good folks at BFDTV taped the show like last year. Thanks X.

What was the title of the Boston segment? I was unsure.

Kudos to Boston both for arranging this 2 summers in a row and at Boston College show for the nice gift Boston's admin extended to Phantom to mark PR's 60th. Class, all around.

BAC corps song Giant POP's played it 1st. A song that they never played on the field.

Edited by emc2

BAC corps song Giant POP's played it 1st. A song that they never played on the field.

The Hyde Park ( Boston ) Crusaders played " Giant " in 1958 in all of their competitions that year, emc2.

The Hyde Park ( Boston ) Crusaders played " Giant " in 1958 in all of their competitions that year, emc2.

Did not know that (me bad).

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the assistant music director at Tanglewood is Ken-David Masur, and the late Kurt Masur, a titanic conductor who led the New York Philharmonic from 1991 to 2002 and died in December (NYT obit), was Ken-David's father.