Which Corps is Most/Least "WGI" in Design Approach?

the program on NPR called "All things Considered" was mentioned by Hopkins in an interview as one of the inspirations for the "This I Believe" program. But it isn't really "based" on that directly, that might be what you guys are remembering. The 2008 program was more directly based on an NPR show, even set up as a fictional radio interview recorded in someone's living room

we may be mincing words here

No. It wasn't based on a radio show.

To me, it clearly has roots in the series, if not the radio show itself, then the essay series that came from it. The spoken word part of the Martha Graham essay was featured in the This I Believe series.

Now I could be wrong, and I'm sure most people (including you) on DCP have more insight into the inner workings of the corps than I, but if that's a coincidence, it's a hell of one.

the program on NPR called "All things Considered" was mentioned by Hopkins in an interview as one of the inspirations for the "This I Believe" program. But it isn't really "based" on that directly, that might be what you guys are remembering. The 2008 program was more directly based on an NPR show, even set up as a fictional radio interview recorded in someone's living room

we may be mincing words here

Mincing words is probably accurate.

while that may be it, when the link comes up it says "requested program can no longer be found." Thus, it is a split of a nuanced hair whether the design was imitating, inspired by, or just referencing the NPR show.

i still believe the depth of the music, drill, and program got lost in the props and wasn't appreciated for its talent. The script (ever changing from contest to contest) became the issue rather than the MMs and their talents, the "I just want to play my trumpet" part included. If the script had said, "I just want to play my horn," it would not have gotten half of the negative flack it did. Ditto with the editorializing about cancer, etc. It became the show rather than the MMs being the show.

• Like 1

The problem with WGI-styled shows is that the music and drill are no longer the focus, and aren't really designed to have value in them of themselves. Instead they just become a backdrop to whatever story or theme is trying to be presented, instead of the performance being what is presented.

• Like 2

The problem with WGI-styled shows

I don't think there is any problem with WGI-style shows. I love WGI. I also love DCI and I love BOA and everything in between. The activity has evolved to a point where it's moving forward from "all of the above" and so much of what we see is pretty 'fricken amazing.

• Like 1

while that may be it, when the link comes up it says "requested program can no longer be found." Thus, it is a split of a nuanced hair whether the design was imitating, inspired by, or just referencing the NPR show.

i still believe the depth of the music, drill, and program got lost in the props and wasn't appreciated for its talent. The script (ever changing from contest to contest) became the issue rather than the MMs and their talents, the "I just want to play my trumpet" part included. If the script had said, "I just want to play my horn," it would not have gotten half of the negative flack it did. Ditto with the editorializing about cancer, etc. It became the show rather than the MM

agree on the show - perhaps the most impressive drill/brass/drumming I've seen - the corps was super clean and extremely intense the last week or so of 2007

folks were distracted by the overbearing narration - too bad. It was THE corps performance of 2007 -- especially on Friday night. Clearly the best performance, and when the judges didn't put them first that night, with that performance, I knew it was a done deal...

To me, it clearly has roots in the series, if not the radio show itself, then the essay series that came from it. The spoken word part of the Martha Graham essay was featured in the This I Believe series.

Now I could be wrong, and I'm sure most people (including you) on DCP have more insight into the inner workings of the corps than I, but if that's a coincidence, it's a hell of one.

the essay was featured in the series as well as the 2007 Cadets program - great read if you haven't:

https://thisibelieve.org/essay/16583/

I find it humorous and I believe Michael Boo, though flattered, would also find it humorous that what he did not say is considered infallible "proof" according to N.E. Brigand. Although Boo has many talents and good facets, being omniscient and absolute are not among his usual claims to fame.

I like Michael, but I don't consider him infallible! My point was that if DCI's regular researcher-essayist doesn't know and/or never wrote about the Cadets' "This I Believe" being inspired by a radio show of that name (if it even was), then it's not fair of Shempy to criticize Channel3 for not knowing the same thing.

(There are plenty of other things about which one can give C3 a hard time.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

The program on NPR called All Things Considered was mentioned by Hopkins in an interview as one of the inspirations for the Cadets' This I Believe program. But it isn't really "based" on that directly, that might be what you guys are remembering. The 2008 program was more directly based on an NPR show, even set up as a fictional radio interview recorded in someone's living room.

We may be mincing words here.

Just for general reference, it's probably worth noting that the This I Believe radio series first ran on CBS in the early 1950s as the brainchild of Edward R. Murrow and was apparently a very popular segment in the first half of that decade. Here is the original introduction:

It was revived by NPR in 2005 (apparently with a mix of 1950s and new essays) and ran over four years as part of several different programs, including All Things Considered.

In both the 1950s or 2000s incarnation, the series consisted of three-minute essays by figures from all walks of life.

Perhaps most importantly, as Shempy notes and as is mentioned in your link above (and which I did not realize before), the exact Martha Graham quote that the Cadets use in their This I Believe show ("one becomes . . . an athlete of God") comes directly from Graham's own contribution to the 1950s This I Believe radio series.

Given all that, I think we can safely say that the Cadets' This I Believe was inspired by the radio series.

Edited by N.E. Brigand