Blu-Rays

The DCI BRs say on the packaging that it's dual-layer 50GB. I popped in a disc and MKV reported over 37GB in use - not enough space left for two more angles of guard and drums, not in full video quality, anyway.

Absolutely agree. Especially if they are 1080p. So if these discs are BD-50, then apparently DCI has chosen to go full throttle on the audio and video on the shows, which is great for visual and audio quality for the main program, but as you state, leaves not much for extras.

I have to admit, I have all the DVD's from 2000 to 2007, and I've watched maybe 2-3 corps total in percussion view. And none ever in guard view. I haven't missed them since their removal in '08.

Mike

I wonder if DCI has been recording those angles since then, maybe planning to release them some in convenient, future format.

So I guess I shouldn't hold my breath for a release in the new 4k standard? :) (As if I would have anything to play it with or watch it on...)

Not anytime soon. The cost of manufacture of UHD disc is the same as Bluray Disc, but the licensing costs are much higher. DCI waited for several years after the BR format was released before adopting the format. There is no reason in the world why they would NOT do the same here.

You must have a large 4K consumer infrastructure before it makes sense to support the 4K format. I have a 65" 4K Samsung SUHD set. I just purchased my 4th 4K title, and there are only two or three more that have been released that I don't have.

We have a LONG way to go for this.

Absolutely agree. Especially if they are 1080p. So if these discs are BD-50, then apparently DCI has chosen to go full throttle on the audio and video on the shows, which is great for visual and audio quality for the main program, but as you state, leaves not much for extras.

I wonder if DCI is now required to pay separate sync rights on every angle - that would be 12 per disc on BR, 24 on DVD.

I always thought it could be a really cool thing for individual corps to do on their own: if they sold their own Finals judge mp3s for each caption. They can do them ala RiffTrax where the buyer has to 'sync' the mp3 file up with the video, that way it's minimal work/maximum profit margin.

there has been discussion now even by designers being afraid of judges tapes being leaked out because of.......licensing concerns

I have to admit, I have all the DVD's from 2000 to 2007, and I've watched maybe 2-3 corps total in percussion view. And none ever in guard view. I haven't missed them since their removal in '08.

Mike

and i'm trying to remember the last time i didnt watch SCV 04 in drum cam with drum judge commentary

• Like 1

and i'm trying to remember the last time i didnt watch SCV 04 in drum cam with drum judge commentary

...or 2003 Cadets guard/commentary. I love Debbie Torchia's voice and accent. "Well done! Well done! Well done!" :tounge2:

I didn't know DCI stopped those extras in 2008. I momentarily thought there was risk of "controversy" over BD's lofty scoring. Of the 7 20s they nailed, the closest score was 0.3 back. Only on DCP would someone choose the guard angle and play it 4x slower to find one silk an inch out of place.

Yeah I think they stopped doing all that in 2008. I miss all those other features as well. Added so much more value to the recordings.

Gonna start a conspiracy theory just for fun :silly:

Judges commentary stopped in 2008 because Phantom Regiment won. PR won by the margin of .025 (I think thats what it was), partial due to an abnormally low percussion score from the Blue Devils.

There was no wrong doing by the percussion judge...he wrote down a fair number.....and being that as a marching member he spent one year with Phantom Regiment and one year with Blue Devils he had no allegiance to either corps.

By the "powers that be", BD's percussion scores were changed from the original numbers written down by the on field judge. If the percussion judges commentary was available on the dvd, the general public would have been made aware that the judges commentary and "published score" did not match up. Thus confirming that the 2008 championship was stolen from the Blue Devils. The only way to make sure this didn't happen was to not put the judges commentary on the dvd's.......general public did not know that judges commentaries were no longer going to be on the dvd's until after the purchases were already made.