St. Patrick's "Day" Marching Season

Be careful about taking too much away from what you see at a parade in March. This was a *very* heavy indoor drumline/color guard and band weekend (as was last weekend). I'm sure every competing corps in the parade was missing tons of folks.

Jeez John, the guys just reporting what he saw on TV, no harm in it. Everyone knows it's March in Holyoke and it's a long way till June, but we all know everyone tries to look good at the Holyoke parade also. Very happy Bush had a great showing today.

Edited by HBD
  • Like 2

Jeez John, the guys just reporting what he saw on TV, no harm in it. Everyone knows it's March in Holyoke and it's a long way till June, but we all know everyone tries to look good at the Holyoke parade also. Very happy Bush had a great showing today.

it's okay,.........see,......he knows everything,........

• Like 1

No, but we go through this every year. The Bridgeville Bombardiers only had 25 horns at the parade...THE SKY IS FALLING!

Man... I thought they broke up 10 years ago!!!! :tongue:

• Like 1

>>Man... I thought they broke up 10 years ago!!!! :tongue:<<

They did ... but they show up at the Holyoke Parade just to scare the bejeeezus out of the other corps!

:w00t:

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 2

I recall marching in one NYC St. Patddy's parade in the early '60s with my High School Corps, the Xavier Cadets. It was a good year for us as we had members from St. Lucy's, St. Catherine's, St. Peter's Jersey City, Knights of St. George (big on saints back then), Garfield, Sac and Floyd Bennett. Charts were by Jim Donnelly and Bobby Thompson.

We were looking forward to blowing everybody away when we passed the cathedral. Unfortunately, the temperature was in the low teens and all the valves froze, even after we used the field expedient of bathing them in alcohol (true). For the first several blocks we simply marched to street beats, stepping gingerly along, directly behind the NYPD Mounted Patrol Division.

The Headmaster came alongside and told the drum major we had to play "music" in front of St. Partick's and no excuses, period. The DM brought us to a halt, in the process halting the 1500-man regiment, not to mention the entire parade behind us. He then asked the bugle sergeant, "What the hell are we gonna do?"

I hope the Cardinal and all the clergy liked our valveless rendition of "The Muffin Man".

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 4

I recall marching in one NYC St. Patddy's parade in the early '60s with my High School Corps, the Xavier Cadets. It was a good year for us as we had members from St. Lucy's, St. Catherine's, St. Peter's Jersey City, Knights of St. George (big on saints back then), Garfield, Sac and Floyd Bennett. Charts were by Jim Donnelly and Bobby Thompson.

We were looking forward to blowing everybody away when we passed the cathedral. Unfortunately, the temperature was in the low teens and all the valves froze, even after we used the field expedient of bathing them in alcohol (true). For the first several blocks we simply marched to street beats, stepping gingerly along, directly behind the NYPD Mounted Patrol Division.

The Headmaster came alongside and told the drum major we had to play "music" in front of St. Partick's and no excuses, period. The DM brought us to a halt, in the process halting the 1500-man regiment, not to mention the entire parade behind us. He then asked the bugle sergeant, "What the hell are we gonna do?"

I hope the Cardinal and all the clergy liked our valveless rendition of "The Muffin Man".

Great story Frank ,I recall hearing that from you before,but it never gets old I still laugh ever time I hear you.